Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #1
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Cleaned off some dirt

Cleaned off some dirt yesterday, and lookie what I found on both my front fenders. RUST!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Uggh! The rusties! It doesn't look like it's coming through from the other side, but my eyes ain't what they used to be. Is there any bubbling of the paint? Maybe a small surface repair is in order.

For future reference, a can of rustproofing spray can easily get to the backside of these panels via holes in the side of the engine bay structure.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Uggh! The rusties! It doesn't look like it's coming through from the other side, but my eyes ain't what they used to be. Is there any bubbling of the paint? Maybe a small surface repair is in order.

For future reference, a can of rustproofing spray can easily get to the backside of these panels via holes in the side of the engine bay structure.
I think it bubbled in-between the fender liner meets. I don't think it's well made in this spot. I spayed the hell out of it before the winter.

I may also have to take off the rear bumper, because rust started where the bumper bolts into.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I think it bubbled in-between the fender liner meets. I don't think it's well made in this spot. I spayed the hell out of it before the winter.

I may also have to take off the rear bumper, because rust started where the bumper bolts into.

Ah, I see. Well, it doesn't look like too bad a repair needs to be done. Definitely worth doing though. I keep a couple cans of the rust Check red and green on hand and blast my wheel wells and other areas every so often. This combined with two through rustproofings annually and I'm usually ok. I also keep a touch up pen on hand for any chips. I'm sure you guys get at least as much road salt as we do over here in the Maritimes.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
IllusionX

We'll see if I get that repaired.

Another discovery the other day.. looks like I may need a new taillight. There is condensation inside, so there must be a leak somewhere.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i used to get condensation when running thru the car wash/power wash in the winter.

warm humid air in the cabin condenses in the tail because its essentially all the same air (tail covers have vents, no?)
Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i used to get condensation when running thru the car wash/power wash in the winter.

warm humid air in the cabin condenses in the tail because its essentially all the same air (tail covers have vents, no?)
Maybe. But is warm these days, and I haven't washed my car. First time I see this in my lights.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
What a bummer. I'm a little worried what i'm going to find this year. We've had a really bad winter this year. The other week when we had "the beast from the east" they put so much salt on some of the roads out where i live i could actually taste it in the air driving along.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
IllusionX

Salt don't worry me too much. Being 12 years old already, and pretty badly maintained, skipped rust proof many years, car go unwashed for months. I am pretty satisfied.

I was thinking doing a clutch job and install the fidanza flywheel, but I'm guessing I'll just live with the stock crappy clutch for another 3-4 years and call it a day with this car.