Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #19
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
2007 Hyundai Accent Wheels Installed

I picked up a set of wheels today for $200.00 CAD. They will need to be refinished. They'll get the full treatment: sand, filler, primer, 2K base coat and 2K clearcoat. After comparing these to the stock wheels (which I do love), I ask myself why Toyota didn't go with a narrower spoked 16" wheel in the first place.

Major bonus: the tires are a medium quality tire (General Evertrek 205/50R16) and the have more than 80% tread remaining! This saves me about $600.00 - $700.00.

Toyota 15" vs Hyundai 16"

Stock RS Wheels

Hyundai 16"

Comparison

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #20
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
That was fast. They look great! Plus, an outstanding deal. Score!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:20 PM   #21
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
That was fast. They look great! Plus, an outstanding deal. Score!
Crazy, eh? Thanks! I picked them up this afternoon, cleaned them up a bit and bolted 2 of them on. I may sneak out for a bit tomorrow and start sanding. I'm actually going to deflate the tires, pull them off the bead a bit and paint them with the tires on. Not ideal, but it'll save me having to get them remounted and balanced. If I can't get under the bead a bit with the paint, they'll get removed.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 04-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #22
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Such a nice looking Yaris.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:54 AM   #23
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Great deal! Looks good too.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #24
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
What a deal and look fantastic. For the most part, Hyundai has always had nice factory alloys.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #25
06YarisRS

Thanks Gents! I'm having a blast working on the wheels. Here are a few pics. These wheels were badly scratched and gouged. However, Hyundai really laid the primer and clear coat on thick. As such, I managed to get rid of about 80 - 90% of the scratches and dings with just sanding. It had some curb rash, but also got that all sanded smooth. The wheel below will require two small dabs of body filler, shaping and sanding. I'm confident that these will look very close to factory in finish when I'm done. I haven't decided yet if I'll buy some 2K epoxy primer or use spray can lacquer and let it cure for a week or so before sanding and applying base coat and clearcoat (both will be 2K urethane).

I'll add more pic as I go...

I just test fitted the Toyota cap. Perfect fit, snaps right in and is very secure. Both Toyota and Hyundai wheels have the exact same hub bore and internal machining.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #26
06YarisRS

Accent Wheel Primer

Applied 3 layers of high build primer. There is only one spot that needs a little filler, shaping and sanding. The way the wheels are designed, it's easy to get paint up under the lip. No need to remove tires! Yay!

I brought them into our basement as it was getting cold out.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 04-12-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #27
kappa_md

Drives: Yaris RS2 2012
I agree with 16x7 as mentioned by sir @kimona! I tried 2 sets of 17s. 17x7.5 wheels and another set of 17x7. Both are on 205/45/17 tires. The wheels are spot on and look great filling the wheel well of the yaris. My worry is 17s tend to be heavier for the power of the engine. My goal is to improve driving dynamics more than looks so I decided to decrease the size of the wheels but still maintaining 205 tires. Again same advice with sir @kimona! I went with 16x7 wheels with 205/50/16 tires. And i’m really glad with the setup and ride! I can push the yaris a little further for driving enjoyment!

Here is my Gen2 Yaris (2012) on RS2 bumpers. TRD T3 16x7 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 205/50/16 tires. I’m lowered on Eibach ProKits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 071E59DB-79B2-4C1C-B779-BB02ECCAEBA2.jpg (168.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by kappa_md; 04-13-2020 at 09:14 AM.
kappa_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:29 AM   #28
kappa_md

Your 16s wheels looks really great! It looks OEM and it’s like it came out stock from the factory! Enjoying to see your build! Keep it up bro!
Old 04-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #29
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa_md View Post
I agree with 16x7 as mentioned by sir @kimona! I tried 2 sets of 17s. 17x7.5 wheels and another set of 17x7. Both are on 205/45/17 tires. The wheels are spot on and look great filling the wheel well of the yaris. My worry is 17s tend to be heavier for the power of the engine. My goal is to improve driving dynamics more than looks so I decided to decrease the size of the wheels but still maintaining 205 tires. Again same advice with sir @kimona! I went with 16x7 wheels with 205/50/16 tires. And i’m really glad with the setup and ride! I can push the yaris a little further for driving enjoyment!

Here is my Gen2 Yaris (2012) on RS2 bumpers. TRD T3 16x7 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 205/50/16 tires. I’m lowered on Eibach ProKits.
Yes, I'm glad I took the advice too. I don't think I would have been happy with the 17s. They would probably look good, but I think the ride would be too rough around here. Your car looks amazing! I bet it really handles well. I've heard from numerous sources that the Pilot Sport tires are one of the best tires.

Can you tell me a little bit about your brakes? I see you have drilled and slotted rotors. What brand are they and what pads are you running?

Also, where can I find more pics of your car?

Old 04-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #30
kappa_md

I upgraded my front rotors with a bit larger diameter but still using stock OEM calipers. They are drilled & slotted rotors and are called Runstop brakes from Thailand. I was told they also produce OEM stock rotors for Toyotas since our cars are manufacured there. I changed my brake pads to Brembo oem disc pads at front. Still on stock drum brakes at the rear. But i also replaced my brakelines front and rear to steel braided ones and used Brembo dot brake fluids.

Yup the PS4 tires are really good tires! I’ve been using them on my 2 other Toyotas and it’s a blast! I didn’t want the Yaris to be left behind and luckily they have PS4 specs i needed. They are suprisingly good when i tested these tires on track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7A0DDB8B-E0FF-49AD-94FD-8C2897545772.jpg (265.0 KB, 60 views)
285mm drilled/slotted rotors. Stainless steel braided brake likes. Brembo disc pads.
Eibach ProKit. KYB Lowfer Sports. Eibach ProAlignment. Eibach 12mm rear hubcentric wheelspacer.
Ultra Racing. Front & rear strut bars. Front, middle & rear lower member bars. Fender bars. Interior room bar. Rear sway bar.

Last edited by kappa_md; 04-13-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #31
06YarisRS

Thanks for the info. That is one beautiful car you have there. I looked today at pads again and will probably go with the Hawks. Do you have a part number for those oversized rotors?

Old 04-13-2020, 10:27 PM   #32
kappa_md

Thank you so much sir! Really appreciate it. I’m really thankfuk to YW for all the information and tips i get from alot of yaris/vitz enthusiasts. I’m really enjoying the Yaris. I can’t imagine letting it go. Such a fun little car. Toyotas are said to be boring but i really disagree. You just have to tinker in and out to make them fun yet still reliable! The website is down below. I also posted the part number of the front brake rotors. Cheers and stay safe!

http://runstop.co.th/product/expansion-kit-all/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8558934B-5CDC-4925-8D29-E72FDE6C844C.jpg (98.5 KB, 52 views)
285mm drilled/slotted rotors. Stainless steel braided brake likes. Brembo disc pads.
Eibach ProKit. KYB Lowfer Sports. Eibach ProAlignment. Eibach 12mm rear hubcentric wheelspacer.
Ultra Racing. Front & rear strut bars. Front, middle & rear lower member bars. Fender bars. Interior room bar. Rear sway bar.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:49 PM   #33
06YarisRS

Quote:
Thank you so much sir! Really appreciate it. I’m really thankfuk to YW for all the information and tips i get from alot of yaris/vitz enthusiasts. I’m really enjoying the Yaris. I can’t imagine letting it go. Such a fun little car. Toyotas are said to be boring but i really disagree. You just have to tinker in and out to make them fun yet still reliable! The website is down below. I also posted the part number of the front brake rotors. Cheers and stay safe.
Awesome. Thanks very much! So, it looks like the rotor is 30 mm greater in diameter. The stock appears to be 255 mm and these, 285 mm. I wouldn't have thought that a rotor that big would fit. I figured that it would contact the caliper. Do you have to buy matching pads, that are also wider? Otherwise, I assume there would be no benefit.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:08 AM   #34
kappa_md

The rotor comes with a different bracket but the stock caliper is the same. Brake pads are also the same size, but probably it’s good to get better compound. It can handle size 15s wheels according to the website but i think it’s stretching it a bit. The 16s is better for clearances imho. All in all there’s marked improvement in brake feel since i’m driving the yaris into it’s limits. One thing i observed with slotted and/or drilled rotors is that, braking power remains the same with blanks, but brake fade is far less with those slotted and drilled. Probably you can notice it during track days but hardly as street use.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:27 PM   #35
06YarisRS

Quote:
The rotor comes with a different bracket but the stock caliper is the same. Brake pads are also the same size, but probably it’s good to get better compound. It can handle size 15s wheels according to the website but i think it’s stretching it a bit. The 16s is better for clearances imho. All in all there’s marked improvement in brake feel since i’m driving the yaris into it’s limits. One thing i observed with slotted and/or drilled rotors is that, braking power remains the same with blanks, but brake fade is far less with those slotted and drilled. Probably you can notice it during track days but hardly as street use.
Ah, the caliper bracket makes sense. Interesting observations about the drilled/drilled rotors. I think if I went forward, I would go with blank rotors. I don't find the stock brakes bad and they seem capable for how I drive. Maybe I will start with Hawk pads. I actually have a set of blank rotors on my shelf in the garage. They are cheap rotors, but I'll see how they work with the Hawk pads. Thanks for the great info!

Old 04-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #36
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
looks good, are you doing something more interesting than silver?

i've run most of the wheel/tire sizes. actually, we were in fredericton, nb when we bought our 2007 CE. came with factory 14's. "crandall" also lived in freddy beach and he ran 17's. HUGE difference in acceleration and braking between 14's and 17's (17's made the car accelerate slower and you had to press the brake pedal harder to stop (never did a true "versus" brake test, just me driving his car))

I eventually stayed with a 15x7 and a 205-50-15 on my yaris...comfort and handling.

205-50-16 are a bit tall vs your OEM tire, no?