Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2020, 03:41 AM   #1
rmshort

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr
Question Megan Racing Springs?

I've been creeping the forums for the past year since I got my Yaris and I'm beginning to mod it in quarantine. I'm running 16x7 Konig Backbones with 205/55 Falken Ziex ZE960, and I was looking at springs next. Wondering if the $50-$100 difference in bigger brands is worth it? Anyone tried the Megan Racing springs? I want a slightly stiffer spring, but I would prefer to maintain as much comfortability as possible. Is it more comfortable riding Teins or Eibachs in comparison?

Plans are to get lowering springs, KYB struts & shocks all around, Tanabe Sustec Strut bar, and Spec-d halo headlights+fog lights, and then 20% tint on windows and back while I'm stuck at home. All I've done so far is install Max Brakes ceramic coated rotors and pads, K&N drop-in & Konigs & Falkens. As far as the interior goes, Rockford Fosgate's in the doors and rear, Rockville 8" under seat sub, & Atoto A6 stereo. I went over 230k miles this week, what are frequent high mileage issues with the Yaris? I know I need to do the timing chain soon but should I take care of anything else while I'm at it? Pretty sure my mufflers over-due for replacing as well.

Thank ya'll for all the great info and awesome builds so far!

Last edited by rmshort; 05-14-2020 at 03:26 AM.
rmshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I had Megan's on several years back, 1.5" drop front & rear. Ride quality was near OEM, just slightly stiffer. Unless they've improved it, the only downside to Megan is the powder coating sucks. Cracks and peals off rather quickly.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
rmshort

Perhaps I wouldn't have that issue as bad because there's very little to no moisture in my area for 90% of the year. I don't know much about paint/powder coating, but I can only imagine that's a factor in how quickly it degrades?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
Nu18F

Drives: 2011 Yaris
I have the Tanabe Sustec 210 on my short list . These seem reasonably priced on Ebay.
I don't know how they compare to others though . The spring rate being just not much higher than stock caught my attention.
Nu18F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:04 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Kinda confused if you replaced your shocks/dampers already, but if you haven't yet, I would get a set of coil overs instead of buying springs and dampers separately. I say this because more likely, the dampers would be paired correctly with the springs in a coilover kit. That would mean a more comfortable ride, and the dampers will last longer.

I don't know if it's still on sale, but this Bilstein coilover kit would be good for you. I saw someone posted it was $680 shipped. That's stupid cheap for Bilstein coilovers. I almost jumped on it, but it doesn't go low enough for me.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...rGbyxJb146HENy
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:51 PM   #6
rmshort

Haven't yet, just looking around for now. Still, $680, I noticed it a few days ago when I was looking at the KYB's. I'm just not exactly sure how it works as it doesn't look like other Coilover kits I've looked at. I have no experience with coil-overs or lowering springs, but I'm interested in getting into autocross, would coil-overs be a better investment?
Old 05-25-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmshort View Post
Haven't yet, just looking around for now. Still, $680, I noticed it a few days ago when I was looking at the KYB's. I'm just not exactly sure how it works as it doesn't look like other Coilover kits I've looked at. I have no experience with coil-overs or lowering springs, but I'm interested in getting into autocross, would coil-overs be a better investment?
Yes, coilovers would be a better investment for you if you plan on auto x'ing. Knowing this now, I would look for dampening adjustable coilovers. I think those Bilstein ones are simple pre-load height adjustment only and do not offer shock travel or dampening adjustments, so those may not be the right ones for your needs. Dampening adjustability would be great for you since you'll be able to fine tune corning characteristics based on the track layout.

Another thing to consider is the class you'll be in with the mods you have or intend to have on your car. I know nothing about auto-x'ing, but I do know that certain mods will push you into a class your car will no longer be able to keep up with.

Also, "coilovers" is just a generic term people use these days for adjustable suspension. "Coilover" really means "coil over shock/strut." So the front of the Yaris are coilovers, and the rears are not since the spring is separated from the shock.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:31 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

http://www.fortuneautosuperstore.com...a-yaris-ncp91/

https://www.bcracing-na.com/product/...gfid=p825-c854

Those are two brands I see a lot of people using who auto-x or track their cars. However, I think driver mod (meaning just getting better at driving/racing) and wheel/tire would be more beneficial, and will probably keep you in a lower class. If you can, get another set of wheels and UHP summer tires just for auto-x purposes since I'm sure you'll quickly reach and break the A/S tire's grip that you have now. There's no point in having a nice, track ready suspension set up if your tires can't keep the tire on the road/direction you want the car to go.