Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Cobra1713

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris sedan
Decided to do some mods on my 2008 toyota yaris sedan

This is what I was thinking of doing, do you experts think it would all add up to a substantial improvement?

First is a magnaflow exhaust, only because my family knows a shop pretty well and I can get it installed for under 125. That is just the axle back muffler.

Second is a set of nst pulleys, at least crank pully, possibly the alternator and water pump as we'll

Third would be a set of lowering springs, are the Megan springs anygood?

Last maybe a cold air intake? Are they worth it?
Cobra1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
You're not going to see any gains with just an axle-back. Get them to fab up a catback for you (also ask for 2" piping). Since you're upgrading the exhaust part of the the car, you need to let it breath in better, so get some type of intake. If you drive more in the low end (like me), get a SRI. If you drive in the high end more, get a CAI.

I only have the crank pulley on mine. I noticed a difference when revving the engine.

I didn't like the Megan springs on my GTI. I have Tein S.Tech springs on my sedan, love 'em.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
But if you want a big difference in power, you're going to need boost, either S/C or turbo.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
Cobra1713

Drives: 2008 toyota yaris sedan
Only problem with boost is that it is an automatic and boost seems odd in an auto. I am not looking to make it a racer, merely a little quicker throttle response and a percieved more power and hopefully some better handling.

I will talk to the shop and see what they can do for a cat back
Cobra1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Spend on suspension upgrades first. More bang for the buck and even with our low hp you can grin ear to ear when you rail those turns.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Spend on suspension upgrades first. More bang for the buck and even with our low hp you can grin ear to ear when you rail those turns.
so true.

Also, look into the 1zz throttle body swap. I havent done it yet, but if i come accross one, I plan on doing it. There are a few threads here about that mod. Sounds like a cheap easy mod if you can find one in the junk yard.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
str8Yaris

Drives: Yaris Sedan Supercharged
I would do cai first that's the best way to get better throttle response, then some headers DC is really good.... dude is right u need let the car breath... the exhaust is more if u want to get more back pressure or have a good sounding car.... u need to enlarge the piping to get better gains.... I have a magnaflow cat on my car..... love the sound..... that's my opinion ........ happy Modding .....
str8Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Honesty, I did a dyno with a stock intake and then swaped the CAI on. Only 1.5 whp gain. They only reason I would get a CAI is for the look of a clean engine bay and the sound it makes. But if you want HP. Save your money and get a K&N filter instead. Unless you are going for a N/A build. Then squeezing every 1 whp is worth it
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote