Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
2015 Yaris one of 5 worst cars as per C/R

Consumer Reports continues in their love of the Yaris:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/worst-ca...110016249.html

They have hated this car for a long time. Currently have it listed as the 5th worst car of 2015. I usually respect CR's opinion but I must disagree in this case. To be fair some of the issues they mention are true but IMHO do not rise to the levels they claim.

The one thing I won't disagree with is the long term reliability ratings that CR assigns to this car. It is consistently ranked as one of the most reliable Toyota models. That's saying something considering how highly ranked Toyota is in and of itself.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
You know what they say about opinions...

I LOVE my 2015 SE manual 5-Speed, be it in terms of driving fun, handling, seat comfort, aesthetics, etc.

Consumer Reports is too busy dry-humping the latest overkill tech and "safety" bloat in automobiles to give meaningful reviews anymore.

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 12-18-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
That article!

I had a good laugh at the Yaris section, but what really made me fall out of my chair was the entry at the end about the Scion iA being a better choice. Did they forget that the iA is being sold in Canada as a Toyota Yaris?

So basicly, they're telling people to buy a Yaris instead of a Yaris! That is simply hilarious!
Old 12-18-2015, 01:57 AM   #4
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
Consumer Reports has slipped a cog on this particular review. Bulletproof reliability is pretty much a given attribute when purchasing a Toyota Yaris. What were the guys at CR thinking?

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:23 AM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
CR's review of the Yaris is almost exactly how I would review the 2015 Honda Fit CVT that I've driven a few times.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
This might incentivize dealers to now have even FEWER Yaris cars on their lots (if that's even possible)!
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #7
Kalispel

i'm not sure how one of the most proven reliable/bulletproof cars in the world can make a "top 5 worst cars" list without some seriously skewed judging checklist criteria - especially since I own/drive one, and my experience is NOTHING like what they describe.

It's sad that a LOT of people will blindly trust agencies like Consumer Reports when it comes time to purchase anything. And this is the company that fawned over the 2015 Honda Fit - which didn't impress me at all when I tested it, even as a 35-year spanning Honda/Acura fan, having purchased no other brands other than those prior to my 2015 Yaris.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
The thing is that CR doesn't take reliability into account when rating vehicles. The test reports and the reliability reports are two seperate things. The test report is based on the subjective, i.e. what the reviewer likes or dislikes, as opposed to the reliability ratings which are objective data driven assessments, i.e. 2% of cars suffered this issue, etc. The Yaris does much, much better when measured this way according to CR's numbers.

I'll stick with the Yaris in any event.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
As I understand it CR is on ISIS hit list.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
The test report is based on the subjective, i.e. what the reviewer likes or dislikes
But you can tell the writer didn't actually put hands on an actual Yaris. He did not test drive one, he just went by stuff he found on the internet. Hint one: he calls the automatic "optional".
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:46 AM   #11
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
The 15 front seats are extremely comfortable, and the ride is pretty good. I don't find it that noisy either. Very disappointed I CR as of late.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:32 PM   #12
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
CR whores themselves to the highest bidder and has no credibility for any sane person that doesn't belong to the sheeple flock.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #13
Kalispel

If the current Yaris had a "modern" CVT transmission, a Backup-Camera, and Satellite-Radio connectivity, then CR would probably be lauding it as the best car in its class. They are a joke.

Last edited by Kalispel; 12-23-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #14
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
If the current Yaris had a "modern" CVT transmission, a Backup-Camera, and Satellite-Radio connectivity, then CR would probably be lauding it as the best car in its class. They are a joke.
I wouldn't mind a back up camera. I live in a busy downtown area, and often avoid it because backing up is not only a risk, but usually a nightmare. And XM/Sirius would be a nice choice to choose. I use my own data to stream Google Play music.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
I wouldn't mind a back up camera. I live in a busy downtown area, and often avoid it because backing up is not only a risk, but usually a nightmare. And XM/Sirius would be a nice choice to choose. I use my own data to stream Google Play music.
I finally got around to filling up a flash drive with my favorite digital music for my daily commute. I set it on random play and go. It's nice having no radio commercials or talking heads for a change - though station FM 100.7 here in Phoenix does play excellent music (classic rock) when not doing those things.

The flash drive works great, though it didn't on the first try. It was pre-formatted in the Microsoft NTFS file format when I first loaded it up, and wasn't readable by the stereo head unit. Once I reformatted it with the traditional FAT32 file system, and reloaded the music files back on it, it worked perfectly.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #16
code54

Drives: 2012 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
I just added an aftermarket head unit and a backup cam to mine. Displays the camera on the head unit when I shift into reverse. Works great! Costs about $300 to do the whole thing if you are interested in it.
code54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 06:04 AM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I have a surgically repaired ruptured disk in my neck and while the operation improved things greatly, looking around behind me aint fun. HAving said that I see no need for a RVC.

I would advise others using a camera that people/things outside of the cameras vision moving quickly can get in your path while you are watching the TV screen and reversing. Ive heard about 20% of children hit by cars going backwards are hit by the FRONT wheels.

Also, can anybody say whether or not semi trailer drivers use cameras? For 50 years they didn't and if they run over something they get in big trouble.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #18
fj40dave

Drives: '08 HB
182,500 miles on my "08.....bought it because the drive train has been in the Toyota family of cars forever!
I have had nothing fail on this car.....NOTHING!
I've replaced the usuals.....tires, wipers, brakes (including front rotors), belts, shocks, bulb or two.....but I have the original battery, alternator, radiator & fluid, fuel filter, exhaust system.....
CR has really missed the mark when it comes to reporting what a dependable method of transportation the Yaris is!
fj40dave is offline   Reply With Quote