Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Tonavi

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Just switched to Amsoil

For the first 5 oil changes (up to about 21,000), I was going to the dealer (who uses Mobil 1), and the car ran great and I got my best mileage ever using that. At sometime around 21,000, I put in Valvoline SynPower, since I work at Valvoline, and I noticed my heat temperature at the vent was going to 170, whereas before never went over 160. Also, the coolant hose is rock hard and I never noticed that before, leading me to believe that the motor is running warmer than it used to. I came across Amsoil at a great price ($7/qt) and put that in with a WIX filter. I want to use synthetic to keep the inside of the motor cleaner and preventing leaks down the road when the miles get high.

The heat is still around 170, but is that since it's summertime now and it heats up faster, or is it running too warm? I ordered a ScanGauge today to see how warm it actually is getting. I also want to get 45+ MPG for a whole summer instead of 40 that I have been getting so far on synthetic (43 on dino).

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
my Scangauge displays between 181-202. Between 181-184 while cruising on the highway, & 202 briefly while stopped/idling with AC on, before fan kicks on.

I switched to Royal Purple @ 20K miles, with no noticeable changes in temperature.

The NST light crank pulley kit (priority), and a aluminum flywheel can drastically improve MPGs, as well as, any other sort of weight reduction (lighter wheels, springs, intake, etc.). A more efficient air intake & exhaust will improve MPGs too.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
Tonavi

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I just changed the transmission fluid, so we'll see if that helps things out a bit. So far, the car is running better than it did when it was new. I drove 300 miles just to make sure, and I was up to 43.8 MPG again.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIZZ View Post
I switched to Royal Purple @ 20K miles, with no noticeable changes in temperature.
This is really good information. My turbovolvo has a oil temp guage and running AMSOIL, I noticed that the temps - on avergage - were lower by 10%. I suspect with the Yaris, given it uses 5w-30w oil, the temp differential using a synthetic is not as great.

I think it would be outstanding if others, with a scan gauages, would publish their min-max oil temps as you did and specify the oil/weight that is used.

I think I'll start a thread. Thanks for this...
Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
There is no correlation between brands of oil and engine temperature. All your findings are anecdotal at best, and really are not enough to draw any conclusions.

Any college grads out there?!?

Also to the OP: is your tranny automatic? If so there is no need to change out the fluid until 100,000 miles.

Although AMSoil is perhaps the best, it will not cause your engine to last much longer then had you used the cheapest Walmart synthetic oil. With the cheapest synthetic oil, your engine will still last 300,000 miles. In addition, the gains in MPG are 1% to 2% at best.

Also, using AMSoil is only economical if you extend your oil changes to 10,000+ miles or more. Otherwise you are just wasting money and fooling yourself.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Thanks, yes, that is what I'm looking for: anecdotal data from those who have temperature gauges.

Last edited by keesue; 05-11-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
When i bought the car it was filled with Castrol GTX 5w-20 and my Scangauge read engine temp of 188 when fully warmed up,on first oil change at 6k i switched to Mobil1 5w-20 and now the Scangauge reads 184 for normal operating temperaturei can only presume that with the extra lubrication dynamics of synthetic oil the engine isnt working as hard.Kinda strange that the thermostat would allow a temperature difference
Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
I had problems with Synpower too. The car didnt like it. Felt gooey and too thick. Its still in there and gotta dump it unfortunately wasted $$$ :(
What Amsoil did you use; there are many different grades/blends. The Signature 0W-30 is supposed to be best formulation in a 30wt. A lightweight PAO/ester blend can increase mileage a little. What helps MOST in improving the mileage is not necessarily the reduced friction/windage but lower incidences of having stuck rings and valves which kill mileage and maybe even the CAT if not remedied.

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 05-12-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
There is no correlation between brands of oil and engine temperature. All your findings are anecdotal at best, and really are not enough to draw any conclusions.
Why dont you poll the FORUM for mileage V. oil type and see if there is any statistical correlation? Anyway, us car guys love anecdotes and make our personal car maintenance decisions on our experiences. We dont have time to poll everyone before changing our oil or cheering our Baseball Team. Now that you think of it I should be cheering the Yankees and not the RedSox .... ooops I should have found which team is most loved statistically first. What a dumbass I have been!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Why dont you poll the FORUM for mileage V. oil type and see if there is any statistical correlation? Anyway, us car guys love anecdotes and make our personal car maintenance decisions on our experiences. We dont have time to poll everyone before changing our oil or cheering our Baseball Team. Now that you think of it I should be cheering the Yankees and not the RedSox .... ooops I should have found which team is most loved statistically first. What a dumbass I have been!
You and others come here, read a few opinions from strangers, having no controlled or scientific methods of testing, and then you make draw a conclusion.

You make an UN-INFORMED decision.

Idiots, to be sure.

And no, one does not have to take huge polls to find the truth, but you would not understand this because you act like one that never went to college, took a statistics class, logistics, nor understand how to perform research, how to harmonized desparate information across many sources.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Any college grads out there?!?--SilverGlow

Quote:
You and others come here, read a few opinions from strangers, having no controlled or scientific methods of testing, and then you make draw a conclusion.

Idiots, to be sure.

And no, one does not have to take huge polls to find the truth, but you would not understand this because you act like one that never went to college, took a statistics class, logistics, nor understand how to perform research, how to harmonized desparate information across many sources.
Quote:
SilverGlow:
Although AMSoil is perhaps the best, it will not cause your engine to last much longer then had you used the cheapest Walmart synthetic oil. With the cheapest synthetic oil, your engine will still last 300,000 miles. In addition, the gains in MPG are 1% to 2% at best
Link? Or just an un-informed conclusion derived from stranger's opinions, uncontrolled and unscientific methods of testing...

UOA of Amsoil Signature Series vs WalMart's cheapest synthetic from the same make/model test vehicles under similar testing conditions, or just more of your "desparate" spewing again?

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
... how to harmonized desparate information across many sources.
I think you meant "harmonize disparate".

I wouldn't be touting a college education with word usage like that!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:

Idiots, to be sure.

Ha ha the funny hater is back. You want me to swear at you on the forum. Ha HA. Some of my resume': NIASE Master tech, BSME and designer of automotive components for over 25 years; QA/QC Engineering manager at a ISO 9001:2000 certified high end pilot manufacturing plant in the Boston area. Just for giggles, We make the multi-piece hood for the Tesla electric roadster. MODERATOR: Why is this guy still on the forum after breaking all the rules? Bateing, spewing, trolling?

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 05-12-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: content
Old 05-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Ha ha the funny hater is back. You want me to swear at you on the forum. Ha HA. Some of my resume': NIASE Master tech, BSME and designer of automotive components for over 25 years; QA/QC Engineering manager at a ISO 9001:2000 certified high end pilot manufacturing plant in the Boston area. Just for giggles, We make the multi-piece hood for the Tesla electric roadster. MODERATOR: Why is this guy still on the forum after breaking all the rules? Bateing, spewing, trolling?
Yeah, I'm one of those "Idiots" that took 2 years of automotive classes, studied and passed several courses, been in the business for over 20 years, ASE certified for nearly 15 years in A1, A5, A6 and A7 ...AND I kept my Fiat x19 running for 50K miles; I was going for the world record! j/k

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

I don't want to start a fight with SilverGlow over education. I know how important that is to him given his references to it in just about every other post. I suspect he thinks his penis is larger than everyone else's, and insulting people is an affirmation of that. I think it is a rather emotionally immature way of participating on this forum, and may indicate that penis size is really penis envy?

For the record, I am a CIO of a global technology organization and engineering rigor is my stock in trade. My educational credentials are not really relevant to my question. I was really curious if others saw any difference (anecdotal experience versus an engineering exercise) in op temps using synthetic versus 'dyno' oil in the Yaris . I've used AMSOIL in my TurboVolvo which did show a reduction in op temps in the cruising range as well as the maximum range; meaning, when the ambient temp is HOT with *ahem* 'spirited' driving on the road.

My suspicion is that with the Yaris, there isn't much of a difference, meaning it may suggest it is running just fine with 'dyno' oil.

Many thanks, fellas, for the input to the thread thus far!

Last edited by keesue; 05-12-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #16
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I think you meant "harmonize disparate".

I wouldn't be touting a college education with word usage like that!
Nicely done, teach. heh...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #17
1stToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesue View Post
I don't want to start a fight with SilverGlow over education. I know how important that is to him given his references to it in just about every other post.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 05-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #18
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Funny how oil topics always go south.
Closed Thread