Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #19
tyrone_yaris

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2007 facelift
CTScott could you let me know what other signs would be noticeable of a fuel pump issue so I can look for those???
tyrone_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrone_yaris View Post
CTScott could you let me know what other signs would be noticeable of a fuel pump issue so I can look for those???
Fuel pumps typically fail completely, where they just stop pumping fuel. In that case the vehicle would either not start or would only run for a couple of seconds and then die.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #21
tyrone_yaris

Thanks for the explanation.

Just another development I thought I would share with regard to my problem.

I was told by someone to switch the key to acc wait about 20 secs and then pump the gas pedal a few times before starting. I did exactly that this morning and yday evening after the car was parked for about 8 hours and voila it started without that sputtering sound on both occassions :)

What could this mean???? Could anyone explain?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 PM   #22
tyrone_yaris

This morning I started the car and it started fine........strange. I did not wait 20 secs or pump the gas pedal. Although I switched it to acc and waited a few secs. Will check again this evening after work when the car will have been parked for about 8 hours and see.

Was there something choking the fuel filter that passed through or something?????
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
This morning I started the car and it started fine........strange. I did not wait 20 secs or pump the gas pedal. Although I switched it to acc and waited a few secs. Will check again this evening after work when the car will have been parked for about 8 hours and see.

Was there something choking the fuel filter that passed through or something?????
It is possible that whatever was blocking it dissolved or got washed off by the fuel sloshing in the tank.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
tyrone_yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It is possible that whatever was blocking it dissolved or got washed off by the fuel sloshing in the tank.
Hmmm...can I use a fuel system cleaner? The ones they put into the fuel tank like Liquimoly or will they be harmful in the long run?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hmmm...can I use a fuel system cleaner? The ones they put into the fuel tank like Liquimoly or will they be harmful in the long run?
A fuel system cleaner won't hurt, but likely also won't help much. If there is stuff in the tank that was plugging the filter, but eventually washed off, i may still be sitting in there and may repeat the plugging. It may not be a bad idea to eventually drop the tank and clean it and the filter. I just pulled the tank out of one of my Yaris this week, so I could do some welding above it, and it really is not that much work to do.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #26
tyrone_yaris

Quote:
A fuel system cleaner won't hurt, but likely also won't help much. If there is stuff in the tank that was plugging the filter, but eventually washed off, i may still be sitting in there and may repeat the plugging. It may not be a bad idea to eventually drop the tank and clean it and the filter. I just pulled the tank out of one of my Yaris this week, so I could do some welding above it, and it really is not that much work to do.
Wow...thanks I can ask my mechanic to do that for me then. Can the fuel filter also be cleaned instead of replaced? I thought it had to be replaced.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #27
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Wow...thanks I can ask my mechanic to do that for me then. Can the fuel filter also be cleaned instead of replaced? I thought it had to be replaced.
It ideally should be replaced. It is a mesh pad, so while I had mine out I blew it out with the air compressor.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #28
tyrone_yaris

Quote:
It ideally should be replaced. It is a mesh pad, so while I had mine out I blew it out with the air compressor.
Ok; thanks for your kind help. Really appreciate it.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #29
tyrone_yaris

Update:

Just wanted to update for the benefit of those who contributed and others who may read my post.

The other day while talking to my car electrician he told me that he was 99% sure, in his experience that its the starter motor that probably has to be serviced/repaired. So he told me to lets give it a try before going for the expensive fuel filter replacement.

When he removed that starter (which was a pain) as its right under the airfilter box, infact at the bottom. Not much space. The bushes were cut and had to be repaired and also the inner spindle was loose. (Forgive me but I'm not familiar with the technicalities :-p) Anyways, he cleaned up the whole thing and after getting the bushes repaired, he fixed it back and now that sputtering problem at startup seems to have vanished so far, 3 days down the line since he did it.

I remember on my 1st Gen vitz too he solved a similar problem regarding startup where he diagnosed the armiture was damaged and needed replacement including the bushes in the starter.... which resolved that problem too.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #30
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Just wanted to update for the benefit of those who contributed and others who may read my post.

The other day while talking to my car electrician he told me that he was 99% sure, in his experience that its the starter motor that probably has to be serviced/repaired. So he told me to lets give it a try before going for the expensive fuel filter replacement.

When he removed that starter (which was a pain) as its right under the airfilter box, infact at the bottom. Not much space. The bushes were cut and had to be repaired and also the inner spindle was loose. (Forgive me but I'm not familiar with the technicalities :-p) Anyways, he cleaned up the whole thing and after getting the bushes repaired, he fixed it back and now that sputtering problem at startup seems to have vanished so far, 3 days down the line since he did it.

I remember on my 1st Gen vitz too he solved a similar problem regarding startup where he diagnosed the armiture was damaged and needed replacement including the bushes in the starter.... which resolved that problem too.
I definitely would not have expected that from your description of the problem.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #31
tyrone_yaris

Quote:
I definitely would not have expected that from your description of the problem.
Tell me about it :) Neither did I. All who saw and heard the sound thought it would either be a fuel filter / pump issue.

I'll just wait and see. Time will tell.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #32
wufai

Drives: Silver Yaris Sedan (4A)
Hi Tyrone, thanks for updating the post. The same thing just happened to my Yaris this morning. I never had this issue for the 4 winters I drove it. My problem is I'm guess I sued 10-30w syn motor oil instead of the 5-30 recommanded. it only happened to my once and I'll be back if this issues continues for me.
wufai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #33
tyrone_yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wufai View Post
Hi Tyrone, thanks for updating the post. The same thing just happened to my Yaris this morning. I never had this issue for the 4 winters I drove it. My problem is I'm guess I sued 10-30w syn motor oil instead of the 5-30 recommanded. it only happened to my once and I'll be back if this issues continues for me.
My issue still persists though not as bad as before so I'm gonna have to go for the fuel filter option as CT Scott mentioned when Iget some funds / time