Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Front passenger seat removal & SRS, seat belt issues

I want to take the front passenger seat out of my 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback. I just have simple front airbags, not side airbags.

QUESTIONS: Is there a way to prevent the SRS Warning Light from staying on and Passenger Seat belt reminder light blinking? (These lights are described under the Front Passenger Occupant Classification System on p. 89 of the Owner's manual.)

Is there a way to ensure the driver's airbag will work if there is an accident?

Is there a plug-in module or modules that could do this?

Thank you,

R
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
First, one thread is enough. I deleted the other one in the wrong section.

Second, to shut off the light remove the right black plastic trim by pulling toward you from the bottom. It snaps right off. Unplug the lights and you'll be good to go. This will NOT affect the functions of your drivers airbag so you're fine!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
RMcG

Thanks very much fro your reply Astroman. I want to remove this seat for camping, I am not a heavy duty Yaris mechanic (I wish I was). So I would also like to hear from others, including about any plug-in bypass module that might work. I am not sure I feel completely comfortable (see below) performing your solution, although your solution is a good one.

I think I understand your instructions based on looking at the etimago repair manuals: you are saying to remove the right instrument panel finish and unplug the passenger AIRBAG OFF light and the Passenger Seat belt reminder light.

But the SRS Warning light is also on. And that would require removing the Instrument Cluster Finish panel in the center, wouldn't it? Is it also just a matter of unplugging the SRS Warning Light too?

Thanks,

R
Old 11-02-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you disconnect the passenger occupancy ECU and sensors, the SRS will remain in an error state and the SRS light will stay lit on the cluster.

I make a Passenger Occupancy Sensor Bypass Module, which keeps the system happy and allows you to select by switch, whether to arm the passenger airbag or not. I am currently out of some parts and am waiting for a shipment of connectors, but should have some more available soon.

Here is a thread detailing how the idea came about:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=srs+bypass
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
RMcG

Scott:

Thanks, have you made and sold many of your bypass modules? Do you have some success references?

Thanks,

R.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post
Scott:

Thanks, have you made and sold many of your bypass modules? Do you have some success references?

Thanks,

R.
I've sold about 15 of them to various members on here. Here are a couple of links to posts about them:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...+airbag+bypass

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...+airbag+bypass
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 PM   #7
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
I can vouch for the success and professional level of craftsmanship of CTScott's SRS Bypass Module. With Scott's extensive knowledge and help, my car was one of the first to receive the module over a year ago and I haven't had a single problem since.
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
RMcG

Thank you MGargano; anybody else's input & experience with CTScott's bypass module would also be welcomed.

RMcG
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
I've had one for about six months now. I agree with everything MGargano said.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
RMcG

Thanks Brian. Again, anybody else's input & experience with CTScott's bypass module would also be welcomed.

RMcG
Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
What more info are you looking for? Its a perfect solution and it works. I really don't think you're gonna get a different response. If you change your seats this module is a must have.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
What more info are you looking for? Its a perfect solution and it works. I really don't think you're gonna get a different response. If you change your seats this module is a must have.
I was just about to post the same thing. I'm not really sure what more the OP is looking for here.
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
RMcG

I want to thank everybody for their posts and I will not ask for anymore information. I'm glad that people have such high opinions and good experiences. I've looked around hard on the web for awhile. And I feel very fortunuate to have found out about this bypass module and I will probably ask CTScott to send me one and I think it will work great like everybody says and I will post about how good it is myself.

I am completely new to Yaris forums. And it's just my nature to be careful and conscientious. I was just trying to get as much input regarding different people's experiences as I could, so I could form as objective an evaluation as possible. I was not really expecting anything but positive assessments.

But I also thought maybe somebody might have a solution like Astroman's solution that I never thought of that might be interest to everybody and also of some help to me as well.

Thanks again to everybody,

R

Last edited by RMcG; 11-06-2010 at 01:31 AM.