Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2019, 04:30 PM   #451
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Sooo interesting to read/learn about.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:26 AM   #452
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Sooo interesting to read/learn about.
Super glad you're enjoying it, ern-diz. It's been a long process and it's not over yet. Always something to explore, but such a joy to drive. I would have no hesitation taking this car on a long road trip and using it as a daily driver. Yesterday I did quite a bit of driving both in town and highway. I had perfect, flawless and smooth idle, zero hesitation or bucking under any conditions, immediate throttle response under all conditions.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #453
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Super glad you're enjoying it, ern-diz. It's been a long process and it's not over yet. Always something to explore, but such a joy to drive. I would have no hesitation taking this car on a long road trip and using it as a daily driver. Yesterday I did quite a bit of driving both in town and highway. I had perfect, flawless and smooth idle, zero hesitation or bucking under any conditions, immediate throttle response under all conditions.
Awesome accomplishment. Hat's off!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #454
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
It is all very interesting and looks like an unbelievable challenge. Following this thread has cemented my opinion that standalone is the best option for such a setup, though potentially much more expensive.

Still very impressive that you have gotten it to operate so well with a stock ECU and piggyback.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #455
06YarisRS

Thanks gents! It has been a challenge but for now, one that was worth it. Time will tell. LOL.

Leegamer, yes, the standalone is a very attractive option and actually I could have gotten a Haltech Elite 550 in the $800 - $900.00 range and I think it supports DBW. I have not yet done enough research on the unit to know definitively if I could maintain all of my other accessories/peripherals. Also, the TCM is built into the stock ECU as far as I know, so not sure what would be involved with that. The HUGE advantage, in my opinion, would the ability to control closed loop fueling.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 10-03-2019, 02:25 AM   #456
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Thanks gents! It has been a challenge but for now, one that was worth it. Time will tell. LOL.

Leegamer, yes, the standalone is a very attractive option and actually I could have gotten a Haltech Elite 550 in the $800 - $900.00 range and I think it supports DBW. I have not yet done enough research on the unit to know definitively if I could maintain all of my other accessories/peripherals. Also, the TCM is built into the stock ECU as far as I know, so not sure what would be involved with that. The HUGE advantage, in my opinion, would the ability to control closed loop fueling.
Sadly for DBW you need a 1500 or above, looked into these too, but beyond my budget :(

You should look into ECUMaster, they make really well-featured units for some really good prices, there's a good chance I will be getting one of these.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #457
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Sadly for DBW you need a 1500 or above, looked into these too, but beyond my budget :(

You should look into ECUMaster, they make really well-featured units for some really good prices, there's a good chance I will be getting one of these.
Thanks! Yeah, the 1500 is getting up there. A serious amount of cash to drop for one part of build, for sure. I will definitely have a look at the ECUMaster.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #458
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:

I've been looking at their ECU's and they seem well priced.

Does anyone know if you can essentially run a non drive by wire standalone ECU while leaving the factory ECU only connected to the throttle and maf sensor?

My hvac is all gone and as far as I know the only thing I would need is the maf sensor reading for throttle control for the factory ECU to still work
Old 10-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #459
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

Does anyone know if you can essentially run a non drive by wire standalone ECU while leaving the factory ECU only connected to the throttle and maf sensor?
I was wondering this precise thing this morning. It would be nice and a cost savings too probably. But, I'd hate to be the one to try it out. Lol. The ECUMaster Black looks like quite a feature-rich computer and for around a grand, not out of reach necessarily.

Right now my car is running great. I REALLY want closed loop fueling control, though.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #460
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
I was wondering this precise thing this morning. It would be nice and a cost savings too probably. But, I'd hate to be the one to try it out. Lol. The ECUMaster Black looks like quite a feature-rich computer and for around a grand, not out of reach necessarily.

Right now my car is running great. I REALLY want closed loop fueling control, though.
I agree, I just checked out their website and they have an ecu that can control drive by wire. However I just realized that the stock ECU controls the rad fan as well on my car. I'd have to wire in a control for that if I wanted to fully scrap the factory ecu. Not something I necessarily feel I need to do right away although I dint think it would be a bad idea
Old 10-04-2019, 10:30 PM   #461
06YarisRS

I want...

https://www.ecumaster.com/products/emu-black/

Old 10-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #462
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I agree, I just checked out their website and they have an ecu that can control drive by wire. However I just realized that the stock ECU controls the rad fan as well on my car. I'd have to wire in a control for that if I wanted to fully scrap the factory ecu. Not something I necessarily feel I need to do right away although I dint think it would be a bad idea
I believe you could use one of the generic outputs and a relay to do a simple on/off control for the fans?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 10-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #463
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
I'm already talking with the local distributor and official tuner, they're up to the challenge :)

Problem is, they are pretty far away from me, a good hour's drive (that's far, for us who live in small countries!)

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 10-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #464
06YarisRS

Quote:
I'm already talking with the local distributor and official tuner, they're up to the challenge :)

Problem is, they are pretty far away from me, a good hour's drive (that's far, for us who live in small countries!)
Very exciting. Will definitely be following this.

I did some reading on the 4A-GZE engine you have. Man, I would love one of those! Stock ready for 300HP! I can't wait to hear what you will ultimately be doing for forced induction and management on this car. This will be the bomb, for sure!

Old 10-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #465
06YarisRS

Oil catch can ugliness and a little hoist action...

I drained the catch can today. I would say that I have run two to three full tanks of 93 through the car since I last checked the catch can. There wasn't much in the can, maybe 3 - 4 mL, but it's pretty stinky. LOL. I thought I detected a green tinge and for a second I panicked, thinking that I had coolant in there. I quickly recalled that Toyota coolant is pink. Just to be safe, I checked the coolant and it's pink and crystal clear. Checked the oil too and it's super clean and still clear with probably 2000 - 3000 kms on it. I was across the border gassing up with 93 again today and picked up another 2 jugs of SuperTech Full Syn. Great Rollback at $14.39 a jug. I'll do another oil change soon. Sadly, in about another month, my baby will have to be tucked away for winter. I'm having so much fun blasting about.

Contents of catch can. Sure glad that wasn't atomized and sent back into the cylinders.

I'm teaching the Internal Combustion Engines 110 at our school this semester. Unbeliveably, I am the most knowledgeable staff member when it comes to mechanics. Scary, I know and a sad statement on education in our province. Haha. However, we've just finished the 4-stroke process and I've been using my little buggy to explain induction systems. The kids love it and of course are always trying to get me to go into boost on the road in front of our shop. A quick way to lose my job.

I had the car up on the drive-on as I had been smelling exhaust in the cabin. My downpipe was a touch loose and one stud was missing. I replaced it with a M8x 1.25 bolt and lock washer instead of a stud and nut. I also picked up a stud and nut too incase the bolt decides to back out. The irony of it all: you want a bolt/stud to come out and it will resist or break. You want it to stay in and it wants to come out.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-05-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #466
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Very exciting. Will definitely be following this.

I did some reading on the 4A-GZE engine you have. Man, I would love one of those! Stock ready for 300HP! I can't wait to hear what you will ultimately be doing for forced induction and management on this car. This will be the bomb, for sure!
Yeah, one of those good ol' over-engineered masterpieces that Toyota was once famous for I probably won't push more than 250hp, at least until I get an LSD in there (and a 6-speed transmission as well, why not?)

It is pretty old-school though, with dual wasted-spark igniters for the ignition, and no VVT-i I'm most likely going to modernize it a bit with a DBW conversion, as well as coilpacks for the ignition. Not to mention full E85 support, as we can easily get this magical juice here.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 10-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #467
06YarisRS

Quote:
Yeah, one of those good ol' over-engineered masterpieces that Toyota was once famous for I probably won't push more than 250hp, at least until I get an LSD in there (and a 6-speed transmission as well, why not?)

It is pretty old-school though, with dual wasted-spark igniters for the ignition, and no VVT-i I'm most likely going to modernize it a bit with a DBW conversion, as well as coilpacks for the ignition. Not to mention full E85 support, as we can easily get this magical juice here.
Haha, wouldn't "old school" make it easier from a modification standpoint? This car is going to be legendary. 250hp with a 6-speed and LSD will be outstanding. Even with my relatively low power output, I would seriously benefit from an LSD. When Tom first put his car up for sale, I really should have considered finding a way to acquire his trans - or his whole car and using parts from it for a conversion to manual. Missed opportunities!

I have basically no knowledge about E85 other than its resistance to knock in high compression situations.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-06-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #468
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Old-school is easier, sure, less variables to tune. But that also means less chances to improve power at both low and high-ends...

The 6-speed and LSD are more of a long-term wish. I'd really want the 6th gear for cruising at lower RPM. Due to the very tight packaging in the engine bay, I may not be able to fit the slightly larger transmission.

E85 behaves like very high-octane race fuel, in a nutshell. Increased detonation resistance is the main advantage, you can dial up the boost and ignition quite a lot.

I also personally like that it is locally-produced, so there is less pollution related to transporting crude oil, and it also burns cleaner than dino soup.

But it has some drawbacks:
1) 30% lower energy by volume. So you basically need to flow 30% more fuel for the same power output. Injectors and fuel pumps need to be sized accordingly (I'm looking at 1000cc injectors to have a bit of headroom), and a tank will not take you as far as regular gasoline.
2) Ethanol is hygroscopic (it slowly absorbs moisture). So, if you don't drive very often, youu may need to get your tank emptied and refilled. (Also a nasty side effect, the moisture eventually ends up in your oil, so more frequent changes are recommended)
3) Cost. In some countries, E85 is WAY cheaper than gasoline. Over here, it's only about 30% less than premium, so at the end of the day, your cost/mile is about the same

Anyway as you might tell, I am quite a proponent of the stuff

A nice little primer for the stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWcgiCm4NY

Bye bye 1NZ...