Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
DanQ

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
DIY Keyless Entry

I looked through the Yarisworld site when I joined and couldn't find all of the info I needed to add a keyless entry system to a Yaris with power windows and door locks, so I created my own web site.

Details to install a Valet 712T in an 08 varis LB. This should work for sedans as well. You can get the unit off the web for ~$40. Do the install yourself and save $50.

Let me know if this works for you.

Good Luck
Dan
DanQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
DanQ

Factory Repair manual

I found this factory repair manual (supplied by etimago) useful for the finding the right wires in the harness and connector locations. This may be useful to you if you are doing an install of a full alarm system or remote start.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
the local car audio wanted $150 for the keyless system they have to sale installed... i think its probably a much better system.. but still...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
This is still a pretty good addition that should be added to the Yaris DIY manual

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Bob_VT

I used this diagram and instructions when I got the same keyless entry.

This is useful!
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGiant View Post
the local car audio wanted $150 for the keyless system they have to sale installed... i think its probably a much better system.. but still...
Also check Best Buy and Circuit City.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Dan:
I have a question. I had the dealership install a remote keyless system on my 08 yaris LB, and well, it hasn't been a good experience. Anyway, the problem is they installed some aftermarket system, which when I lock the doors using the button on the door of the car, well, it won't unlock with the remote keyfob, I was wondering if you have the same problem with the unit you have (meaning it's a problem with the car), or does it always unlock without considering how the doors were locked?

I would really appreciate if you could confirm that for me, thanks!!!!
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
DanQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lita_g View Post
Dan:
I have a question. I had the dealership install a remote keyless system on my 08 yaris LB, and well, it hasn't been a good experience. Anyway, the problem is they installed some aftermarket system, which when I lock the doors using the button on the door of the car, well, it won't unlock with the remote keyfob, I was wondering if you have the same problem with the unit you have (meaning it's a problem with the car), or does it always unlock without considering how the doors were locked?

I would really appreciate if you could confirm that for me, thanks!!!!
Mine works similar to what you describe. If you lock manually, the remote unlock doesn't work. You have to unlock manually and then the remote lock will lock and unlock again. It might be a security feature, if you manually lock yourself in the car you are protected from someone entering with a remote unlock. To be honest, I never manually lock the doors. As I walk away from the car, I lock them with the remote...

DanQ's DIY Keyless Entry
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aca72 View Post
Also check Best Buy and Circuit City.
yea if you like getting raped......
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
CaptainYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris S
Wonderful walkthrough. Took it step-by-step on my 4 door and it worked perfectly. got the same system from Circuit City on sale. Not a bad upgrade for $50
CaptainYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
I ended up getting a car w/keyless entry, but had seen this writeup before the hack.

http://home.comcast.net/~dquicker1/s...ess_Entry_DIY/

Just wanted to say that it is a great webpage that you made.
The photos really help to understand things.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
Just wanted to give props to DanQ. I used his DIY this summer and got one off Ebay for $35. Major easy. I even mis-wired it the first time and DanQ quickly answered my email and helped me get it straightened out. It's been working great ever since.

I too have the problem with the manual door locks conflicting with the remote. I just use the remote all the time and its never really a problem. The door switches still work if needed.

DanQ really made a $200+ upgrade down right affordable. Really good DIY. Thanks again Dan.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarstar View Post
Just wanted to give props to DanQ. I used his DIY this summer and got one off Ebay for $35. Major easy. I even mis-wired it the first time and DanQ quickly answered my email and helped me get it straightened out. It's been working great ever since.

I too have the problem with the manual door locks conflicting with the remote. I just use the remote all the time and its never really a problem. The door switches still work if needed.

DanQ really made a $200+ upgrade down right affordable. Really good DIY. Thanks again Dan.

Check out my post on this thread for the correction to the door switch issue:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...?t=9827&page=2

DanQ, you might want to try it as well and then update your DIY.

I am working on a DIY for Remote Start / Keyless entry for 07-09 with and without engine immobilizer.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYaris View Post
Wonderful walkthrough. Took it step-by-step on my 4 door and it worked perfectly. got the same system from Circuit City on sale. Not a bad upgrade for $50

Hopefully nothings goes wrong with. Circuit City filed for bankruptcy today and are shutting down a lot of their stores. My local store is suppose to be shutting down by Jan 1.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
CaptainYaris

Looks like i need to go back and tap into the green wire. another problem i was having is that when i turn on the car, all the doors go through the "unlock" cycle. hopefully this issue will be remedied by this as well.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Looks like i need to go back and tap into the green wire. another problem i was having is that when i turn on the car, all the doors go through the "unlock" cycle. hopefully this issue will be remedied by this as well.
The unlock on start issue is probably a "programming option" for the keyless entry.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #17
CaptainYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The unlock on start issue is probably a "programming option" for the keyless entry.
I've looked through the programming guide and i think i'd have to disable the "lock on start" to disable the quick unlock on start. Its really not that big of a deal.

But the switch to the Green wire worked wonderfully, although i have to say the Valet system is a little slow to respond between the first press and the 2nd press, you have to wait for the parking lights to stop flashing before you press the button a 2nd time.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I've looked through the programming guide and i think i'd have to disable the "lock on start" to disable the quick unlock on start. Its really not that big of a deal.

But the switch to the Green wire worked wonderfully, although i have to say the Valet system is a little slow to respond between the first press and the 2nd press, you have to wait for the parking lights to stop flashing before you press the button a 2nd time.
Does the valet have a mode for double pulse of the unlock wire? My UltraStart did and it makes life a lot easier than having to press the remote twice.