Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
fencepost_79
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
cleaning gas tank

hello everyone. i am new to this website and this is my first post. i am the soon to be owner of a 2007 toyota yaris. it is the sedan type , not a hatchback. the lady i am buying it from says everything is good and runs. this was just a backup vehicle for her. the only issue is that it has been sitting for 2 + years. also, a hail storm broke out the back windshield (but thats irrelevant, at least for the time being). so im just asking your help/tips/general overview on the steps to take in order to get the bad gas out of the tank and preserve the fuel pump assembly unit in the process. I plan to work on it within the next few days. I am a diy/shade tree mechanic. and i cant afford to have a shop do this. so yall's tips/advice is appreciated
how do i depressurise the fuel system?
is that necessary? (I do not want to suck up any of the bad fuel/debris in the fuel pump before i clean the fuel tank.)
im thinking logically that i need to disconnect the lines and electrical connector first (under the seat) before I drop the tank.
what is your suggestions on cleaning the tank?
Further..I want to test the pump with my multimeter.
any advice/tips/suggestions..anything regarding this procedure I appreciate.
Thanks!
fencepost_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:30 AM   #2
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
2 years is not a long time, how much gas is actually left in the tank? If it is like 25 per cent or less, I would just pour in full tank of fresh quality gas, check the oil level, maybe change it if it is black AF (changing oil once a year is recommended so that needs to be done anyway) and then LET IT GO, LET IT GO....
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Brighton
Knower of little

Drives: None
+1 on leaving the old gas in it if the tank is fairly low. If it's more than 1/2 full sometimes you can get away with pulling the fuel inlet on the engine and divert that hose into a gas can, then turn the key to accessory where it'll kick the pump on to prime the engine. Otherwise you might have to put a hose into the filler neck and siphon it out. A lot of modern cars have anti siphon set ups though. Absolute worst case, you can access the pump via the hatch in the trunk/under the rear seat, remove the pump enough to get a siphon hose in there and pull the gas out that way. Once it's empty enough I'd put in a full tank of higher octane (89+) with either a full can of Seafoam or BG44k(Preferred)
Brighton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel pump, fuel tank