Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #127
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
"Where is the grommet on the passenger side, what color is it, any information of what you have to remove to see this grommet would be extremely helpful."

This was so annoying for me. I found it easiest to go under the hood and get it from there. Look at the ECU, the grommet is to the right. It's black, like an inch or so wide. I popped mine out, and pushed a sharp piece of metal at the carpet behind. Then I went back in the car, saw where the metal was and cut an X in it. Ran the wire through and was done. I don't know why it took so long...
Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #128
rcspott

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB Stick
Sodium Duck,

I want to verify that the ECU Box is alumimun with the two wire plugs on top and is all mounted to the fire wall on the left as your looking in from the front of the car. OK

I looked to the right of the ECU box and see no black grommet. All I see is a round grommet right at the left top corner of the ECU box.

This is giving me fits, any help out there, Picture?

Thanks

Rich
rcspott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #129
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

That's the grommet I'm talking about, you got it.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #130
rcspott

Thank you "all that came before me", another successful cruise control install here. It's going to make my drive next week from Montana to California a breeze. Thanks again Sodium Duck for the resistors. I have left over resistors, if anyone wants them PM me and I will mail them off to you. They are the 680's that work perfectly for the two button install.

Thanks

Rich
Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #131
rcspott

Resistors are gone.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #132
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Sending resistors all over the place is fun.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #133
frankencar

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
Still having a massive failure. Anybody who's done this in the Portland metro area? It's really hard to figure out what's going on via forum X.X

Popped the ECU white thing, seems like I got a pretty tight fit, though the rubber still sticks up a bit (but its also kind of chewed up). The connector seems to be in perfect shape, I was really careful not to bend it, it is a $20 pin for crying out loud.

What else could it be?!
frankencar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #134
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankencar View Post
Still having a massive failure. Anybody who's done this in the Portland metro area? It's really hard to figure out what's going on via forum X.X

Popped the ECU white thing, seems like I got a pretty tight fit, though the rubber still sticks up a bit (but its also kind of chewed up). The connector seems to be in perfect shape, I was really careful not to bend it, it is a $20 pin for crying out loud.

What else could it be?!

Did you ever take a voltage reading on the other end of the wire connecting to that pin? With the ignition on and engine not running, that wire should measure ~12 Volts to ground. If you don't measure that, then there is still an issue with connecting to that pin on the ECM.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #135
frankencar

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
UPDATE: VICTORY!!!

Okay okay, it was something DUMB...

One of my wires snapped within the electrical tape wrapping. Not sure exactly how that happened, I must have pulled on the other end. Anyway, just got back from a successful test run. Beautiful, I love it!!!!

Thanks CTScott and others for finding this amazing mod!
frankencar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #136
goat1of2

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto 3-door
And yet *another* new Yaris owner gives this a try......

It seems that y'all are saying that we should disconnect the battery before pulling off ECM connector A21. Yet, won't I need the battery connected to check if 12V is present at pin 40? That's right, I've never messed with the electronics in a car before.

Also, I'm looking at the document so kindly provided by Vince87 and I cannot for the life of me find Connector D3 either. I have a very late model 2008 and wanted to make sure that the wires I need aren't already in the cabin. There's a whole passel of connectors under that dash, most of which I cannot see because of all the plastic covers. Do I need to remove some of them?
goat1of2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #137
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
And yet *another* new Yaris owner gives this a try......

It seems that y'all are saying that we should disconnect the battery before pulling off ECM connector A21. Yet, won't I need the battery connected to check if 12V is present at pin 40? That's right, I've never messed with the electronics in a car before.

Also, I'm looking at the document so kindly provided by Vince87 and I cannot for the life of me find Connector D3 either. I have a very late model 2008 and wanted to make sure that the wires I need aren't already in the cabin. There's a whole passel of connectors under that dash, most of which I cannot see because of all the plastic covers. Do I need to remove some of them?

Check out this link for a comprehensive list of links related to installing cruise control:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=cruise+faq

This picture from my 09+ DIY shows D3 (the leftmost connector with the brown, blue and black wires):

You need to remove the lower steering column cover to gain access to it.

As far as disconnecting the battery goes, you should do so while doing the wiring to the ECM. Checking for 12V on pin 40 is really only necessary if you have issues with it not working, and in that case, you'd measure the voltage at that pin via the wire that you connected to it.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #138
goat1of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You need to remove the lower steering column cover to gain access to it.

As far as disconnecting the battery goes, you should do so while doing the wiring to the ECM. Checking for 12V on pin 40 is really only necessary if you have issues with it not working, and in that case, you'd measure the voltage at that pin via the wire that you connected to it.
Thank you sir. I found my Connector D3 and confirmed that I will need to run a wire from the ECM. Now to order the parts....

Perhaps the language in the pdf should be amended to read: "...connector D3 on the left side of the steering column (under the plastic housing)". I was taking "under the dash" to mean well, under the dash!

In case anyone finds it useful, the build date for my Yaris was May 2008; apparently they were not yet incorporating any features from the 2009 cruise control setup yet!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #139
lily
lily

Drives: white plane jane
I need some help from this install.

Got an '07 Yaris HB, base model, auto.

I did the 2 button setep from CTScott's PDF write-up.

I cannot get the 'cruise' to work after this mod.

What I did was soldered two resistors in series: a 270 and 380 for a 650 resistor. Then soldered the series as shown on the PDF for the 2 button setup.

I ran a wire to the PIN 40 on the ECU and grounded the other wire, but still nothing.

My questions are:

How far does the wire going into the ECU have to "stick" out to touch inside the ECU?........I have maybe 2 or 3 wires that stuck out from the harness, is that enough "contact" to make this work?

I grounded the other wire by just screwing/sandwiching into a grounded source on the driver's kick panel, <<< is this "good grounding"???

Is soldering a good idea to connect the series? <<< I soldered because the pins behind on the push buttons I got from Radio Shack were too small to work on.

I hope I am clear about my questions. It has been raining here so I would like some help soon so I could use this feature on my upcoming road-trip.

Thank you for your time.
lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #140
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
I need some help from this install.

Got an '07 Yaris HB, base model, auto.

I did the 2 button setep from CTScott's PDF write-up.

I cannot get the 'cruise' to work after this mod.

What I did was soldered two resistors in series: a 270 and 380 for a 650 resistor. Then soldered the series as shown on the PDF for the 2 button setup.

I ran a wire to the PIN 40 on the ECU and grounded the other wire, but still nothing.

My questions are:

How far does the wire going into the ECU have to "stick" out to touch inside the ECU?........I have maybe 2 or 3 wires that stuck out from the harness, is that enough "contact" to make this work?

I grounded the other wire by just screwing/sandwiching into a grounded source on the driver's kick panel, <<< is this "good grounding"???

Is soldering a good idea to connect the series? <<< I soldered because the pins behind on the push buttons I got from Radio Shack were too small to work on.

I hope I am clear about my questions. It has been raining here so I would like some help soon so I could use this feature on my upcoming road-trip.

Thank you for your time.

You really need to have good connection to the ECM pin and realllllly want it to still be waterproof, so using one of the correct pins for the connector is a good idea.

Soldering the resistors is definitely the way to go. In the example pictures of the two switch methods I just put them together to show the layout, but didn't solder the examples.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #141
lily
lily

how would the connection pin to the ECM look like?

i may have some extra pins left from the tacoma.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #142
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
how would the connection pin to the ECM look like?

i may have some extra pins left from the tacoma.
ECM Pin.jpg
Old 03-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #143
lily
lily

well, i re-wired new push buttons and added a new single 620 resistor to the 2-button setup but still no avail.

i'm thinking that the connection to PIN 40 is not so good.

how did you all establish "connection" to this PIN 40?

did you just simply push a strand of wire through the harness or actually got one of those little pins? (i just pushed a wire through the harness because i cannot figure out how to completly disassemble it).

can the head piece of harness be taken apart further? <<< i have take it off the ECU/ECM and the taken the little rubber plug off but cannot figure out if the head piece of the harness can be taken apart further.

Thank you.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #144
goat1of2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Soldering the resistors is definitely the way to go. In the example pictures of the two switch methods I just put them together to show the layout, but didn't solder the examples.
Ah ha! I was wondering about that. This is like when we women give recipes by just mentioning a few ingredients...there are a whole LOT of steps which are simply assumed. As more inexperienced people like myself attempt this mod, you'll be getting all kinds of seemingly "dumb" questions. Like this one:

I've got some AWG 20 wire, but it is single-strand copper instead of the multi-strand silver-looking stuff I see all you guys used. Will this work? Can I solder it? Will it corrode if mixed with whatever other metals are involved?

See what I mean?

[Project status: resistors and switches on order from Digikey, proper ECM connector on order from Toyota]