Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
What causes wheel gaps to be uneven?

I was checking my wheel gaps today to see how things are since the lowering springs and shocks have been installed for a while now. It seems like two of the gaps were much shorter in distance as compared to the others being a bit bigger in gap size. I can't imagine any reason why it would be that way since they've had time to settle and the air pressure is even in all tires. I did hit a monster sized puthole the other day but as far as I can tell it didn't throw the alignment off at all so I have no idea what could be the reason it's uneven. My only guess is maybe just the pavement has to be completely smooth and flat to get an "even" look all the way around?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Which sides are you comparing? Front to back, or left to right?

If front to back, then the rear gap usually is smaller in all cars because it doesn't arch as high as the front (from what I've always seen).

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I'm comparing left to right. I noticed that the one side that is lower, the opposite side in the rear is also lower at the same time. That's what's leading me to believe it's just the pavement not being even or whatnot. The car itself looks perfectly flat and level, not funky leaning or angles.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
More weight of the vehicl eis on that side such as battery.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
As mentioned, the battery and intake are on the left side, as well as the driver and steering parts. My sub is also on the left side, so I wouldn't be surprise if my left side is a bit lower.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
That and driving without passengers adds more weight to the left. I would take right turns much more slowly if I were you lol

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote