Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Chmmr

Drives: Toyota Yaris '06 YRX Sedan
Tire Question

Hi everyone,

I just had my 2 year/40,000km service and have been told that my tires need replacing and that my tires won't last till the next service (6 months time). Is this normal for stock tires?
Chmmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Tires have wear bar indicators in the grooves between the treads, when the tread becomes flush with these bars, it's time to get new tires!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Don't let the dealership tell you that you need to buy your tires from them, they usually charge quite a bit more. The wear indicators are a pretty good means of telling when you need new tires. When my tread is even with those bars, I pony up and get new ones, either local or online.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmmr View Post
Hi everyone,

I just had my 2 year/40,000km service and have been told that my tires need replacing and that my tires won't last till the next service (6 months time). Is this normal for stock tires?
Plus, 40K kilometers is 25K miles, which is far below the expected tread life of most tires. Unless you have some kind of high performance, soft rubber tires, you shouldn't be anywhere near needing new ones...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
I would say you are doing a good job already by running 40,000km on original OEM tire, that sounds about right, I change mine to hydroedge around 35,000km.

Usually stock OEM tire is not a good one and the thread life is not as good as other comparable all season tire.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Chmmr

Drives: Toyota Yaris '06 YRX Sedan
Thanks for the responses everyone.

MadMax: I'll have a look and see where mine are. Thanks for the photo.
Chmmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
My factory tire was junk, I ran those past treadwear's in less than a year, however I do drive 30,000+ mi. a year
Old 06-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
If you read the fine print on tire wear warranties, they mosdtly say if the tire does not reach the advertised mileage, they will sell you a new tire at a pro rated rate, not that a trie will actually reach that milage.

Aynway, it has often been said that 90% of all flats occure at the last 10% of tread life.
The wear bands are mainly there to indicat when a tire is no longer legal.

Personally, I always replace tires when I no longer feel safe at highway speeds in all kinds of weather.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
If you read the fine print on tire wear warranties, they mosdtly say if the tire does not reach the advertised mileage, they will sell you a new tire at a pro rated rate, not that a trie will actually reach that milage.
Yup. I've gotten new tires for less than half price at discount tire for burning through 60k tires in 25k.

Quote:
Aynway, it has often been said that 90% of all flats occure at the last 10% of tread life.
Not sure who says that, but I'm gonna go ahead and say it's false. Most drivers won't get down to 10% tread. I've had probably 10 flat tires and none of them were even on the last 30% of tread.

Quote:
Personally, I always replace tires when I no longer feel safe at highway speeds in all kinds of weather.
Good advice. Bald tires + rain + freeway = hydroplaning.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote