Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Washed, Waxed, and then got sad!

So I had my car washed today and then proceeded to wax my car, I'm glad I have a lil Yaris and not a full size van because my arm hurts. I began getting sad because I started to see every single rock chip in my lil Yaris

I can see how there are chips on the front end (with the nose being so blunt) but I personally I really don't know how there can chips on the roof, left and right sides, or the rear end! and there are on mine!

I also noticed all of the tar and "stuck on" dirt that I will eventually try to get rid of with a clay bar ... but more on that later

I tried using touch-up paint from the dealership and following it up with some touch-up clear coat.... but even after waxing and polishing I can totally tell where all the areas I touched up are! (I was told that I wouldn't be able to)

so I guess what I am asking is how can I deal with these rock chips/dings myself or should I have a pro come redo basically most of the paint and get a bra that will protect the front at least

PS:my car isn't even 2 years old!
bkndacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
pics would help.

Not sure how you can get chips on the roof just by driving around.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
A tip for filling in rock chips is use a tooth pick dip it in the bottle and gently fill in the chip after 2-3 layers till its slightly raised above your current paint level. Then take some 2000 grit sandpaper and sand it till its smooth with the rest of the paint. Then rubbing compound to polish it out to a shine. With patience and time you shouldnt be able to tell the chip unless you know where to look. Although this method is time consuming especially if you have multiple chips it will give you much better results than using the brush. It just leaves a ugly mess of globs that make the car look worse than if you did nothing at all.

Another option if you feel like driving to the bay area sometime ill be happy to help you out. Maybe when we have our next local meet.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
I got a little sad too one day when I was buffing out a light scratch and noticed a lot of tiny specks of rust on the sides of Happy Yaris (it has a name!). I don't know about the roof, I'll check it out when I wash it later this week. The chips in the side is probably from stuff flying up off the tires, and probably off other cars' tires too. We're considering repainting someday, maybe change the colour, but I hear that repainting is generally even worse than original.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
bkndacn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
pics would help.
This is the hood...but they are really hard to see but basically all of the little white looking spots (idk why they are white) the closer pics just didn't come out at all I doubt that this pic helps but thats all I got... I'll try to get another tomorrow..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0071.jpg (98.8 KB, 425 views)
Old 06-23-2010, 03:31 AM   #6
bkndacn

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Then take some 2000 grit sandpaper and sand it till its smooth with the rest of the paint.
Taking sand paper to my Yoshi (yes he has a name) scares the S*** outa me

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Another option if you feel like driving to the bay area sometime ill be happy to help you out. Maybe when we have our next local meet.
Ya know I Just might take you up on this offer ... are you going to the Nor-cal meet on the 17th of July? if not ill gladly drive somewhere i love mini road trips....
Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
I have tons of them from driving on the highway for two years..... I have a differnt hood now and have my original hood in storage for when my new hood has seen better days but yeah my front bumper and side mirrors are a mess :/ too bad it wont get any better, toyota should have done a better paint job on our cars......oh well.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
Yarisduder
Quote:
I hear that repainting is generally even worse than original.
if you do it yourself ha. you must have listen to people who dont know what they are talking about. a respray when done right will be better the factory.

if the car was and audi BMW or somthing along those lines might go to trouble to fix ... but guys this is a yaris bottem of the food chain who cares
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AND189 View Post
Yarisduder

if the car was and audi BMW or somthing along those lines might go to trouble to fix ... but guys this is a yaris bottem of the food chain who cares
If we didn't care, we wouldn't have bought a car at all. It still cost more then I make in a year, and even for those of you whom it didn't, any car is a large investment, and large investments should be a sound investments.

Maybe you don't care what your car looks like, but many of us do.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkndacn View Post
This is the hood...but they are really hard to see but basically all of the little white looking spots (idk why they are white) the closer pics just didn't come out at all I doubt that this pic helps but thats all I got... I'll try to get another tomorrow..
If you get your car fixed up... one of the forum members, "1stToyota" implemented on his front end of the Yaris... Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film. He tells me it protects great in his travels. You should PM him and ask for details...

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
bkndacn

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
If you get your car fixed up... one of the forum members, "1stToyota" implemented on his front end of the Yaris... Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film. He tells me it protects great in his travels. You should PM him and ask for details...

Cheers!
Hmmmm That sounds good can I cover the whole car in that though? Thats really what I feel like doing!
Old 06-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
STC
"LibertyRides!"

... I would imagine you could? He could probably better answer that question... cost?

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #13
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
The yaris IS my bmw!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post

Cheers!
Does that protect your paint from chipping off? I can see gray metal showing up under the white paint in some spots.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
STC
"LibertyRides!"

^ That's what it does! PM "1stToyota" for details. I don't have it on my car...

Cheers!

Old 06-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
My first chip on my front bumper really got me sad too. Then I remembered I respect race cars more and if you have ever seen one you will know they are covered in battle scars. The glass can either be half full or half empty and if it bothers you that much there are always plenty of ways to fix scratches, chips, and dents... like stickers, lol.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
3M covers hood, bumpers, and half way up the sides, but its freaking expensive.

Chips aren't hard to see, with any camera, and they are dark, not white... Something THAT small isn't gonna go through paint. I'm 99% sure you just have overspray/bugs/tar/sap/something else. Get that clay bar out and if your arm just hurts you're not doing it right, it should fall off at the end of the day. Also, as you pointed out, to hit the roof, the angle of incidence would be so great that it would leave long scratches, not little tiny dings.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 AM   #18
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
3M covers hood, bumpers, and half way up the sides, but its freaking expensive.
That is what a hear! It could run well over $1,000 depending on vehicle size and application... Yaris is probably under $1,000?

Cheers!