Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
BlownYaris

Drives: Yaris
Question Lets make a Yaris Real Fast.....

Hi guys-

New to this board. Hope all is well with everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving as well.

Im coming from a domestic side of all trucks....silverados, avalanches, escos etc....blown in everyway turbos and sc's.

Now.

I have been reading bunch of stuff on this board but I cant find exactly what I want to know. Maybe you guys can help me.

Whats the average whp of a supercharged Yaris out right now? STOCK motor.

Whats the average whp of a turbo'd Yaris out right now or custom setups? STOCK motor. I seen up to 300+ whp on some of them but these are worked motors.

What has been the quarter mile for these stock motors that have been SC'd or Turbo'D?

Now lets say we got the turbo custom setup, who do we use for tuning? I see emanage is that the one? or something better? Same would go for the supercharged version I take it?

I dont know which route im going to go, because I would like to get this little buddy into the low 13's high 12s with a 0-60 to 5 secs-6 secs. Best would be under 5 but I dunno. If I do a SC'd though, I will go rotrex on this. Cause its pretty much a turbo. I dont know what numbers we need whp-wise to get to this. or has anyone done this already.

I dont know what the 4 speed tranny can handle cause its auto, I dont know what the stock motor can handle. Maybe you guys can help me out on this.

I would appreciate all your inputs and whatever else you guys know about.

My idea is building a good kit for myself for a stock motor without blowing it and possibly selling it perhaps. Then once I get it done, do the motor bullet proof. I have alot of experience on doing production kits.

Money is not an issue. So whatever you guys tell me we need, its all good.

Thank you for your help guys.

Jon
BlownYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
If money is not an issue, why not re-build the engine, get it a little stronger by replacing certain internals so you can get the boost higher and then get the speeds you seek... Seems like 12's in the quater with a bone stock engine and a turbo or SC mounted to it would be pretty difficult, but it DOES sound like a fun project for you. I hope you enjoy it.

There are a lot of people here who can answer some of your questions, I just wonder if money is not an option... then i may go about it a little different.

Enjoy the yaris, and welcome to the site.
Rock On!
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You said you have a lot of experience, but you also said a rotrex is "pretty much a turbo". Those two statements don't really go together?

If money is not an issue, why would you want to keep the motor stock?

12's is not possible on an unbuilt motor, in my opinion.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
This should be real interesting. I'm all for you trying and I hope all the best.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
BlownYaris

Rotrex was developed to be a turbo, which for the most part it is, it just runs as supercharger example being run by belts/pulleys. it has pretty much the SC low rpm power but maintains the mid and even high rpm power bands like the turbo.

Rotrez is being used by many manufacturers today, some being put on the german manufactured vehicles and many manufacturers are coming out with their vehicles rotrex based replacing traditionally their turbo based vehicles. Hence Jackson for instance a supercharger kit manufacturer has replaced their programs with a rotrex based kit/s.

The reason I want to keep the motor stock in the beginning, is to be able to take my kit and possibly turn around and sell it in the future for stock based cars and perhaps leave room for the individual to upgrade their kit and or motors.

So thats the reason I asked what would the stock motor and tranny handle at close to maximum whp....

drivability is also a concern here for example daily driving attributes.

Your motor is built for the most part Garm. But I wanted to see what we can do stock wise. and lets say the numbers are 170-220 whp on a stock motor/tranny, capability wise, what would those numbers produce on a 0-60 or perhaps on a 1/4 mile?

Hope this helps.

Thank you guys.

PS: a 5 door Yaris is what I have. Not the sedan or the 3 door.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
If you are looking for those numbers turbo is the only way to go unless you build your motor.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I think you are a year ahead of your time. The Yaris is too new to have the following that the older cars have. The aftermarkets are geared for numbers which is not the case for the Yaris. Look to other countries that have the Yaris numbers and therefore the following. Good luck.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Anything higher than 185 whp, I think you'll eventually blow up your motor.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I had some damage after driving 8-9 months at 8psi and 183 whp on the stock motor. Cylinder 4 was showing some loss of compression. It would have eventually failed. So I think your 170-220 on the stock motor is outside the range of reliability.

I think few people have done/will do mods to their car that dramatically affect the longevity. It will take a year of "proving" a kit before people will be comfortable enough invest in it. That's why the Blitz compressor is so popular.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
once you reach double the wheel horsepower, you'll run into longevity issues, i'd think

safe(ish) would be around 150whp with a turbo

the blitz kit seems generally happy around 130-135whp range w/ bolt-ons
Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I would agree from what I've seen, 155-160 is about the most you'll get with stock internals for long periods of time.

With that said, if you can find a way to shed 600 pounds, that can still be a 12 second yaris. (maybe not with a slushbox, but it will still be close). Although to lose 600 pounds, you'd probably spend more money than building out a motor.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Building the bottom end isn't that expensive if you are looking for those numbers however when it comes to building the valvetrain it'll cost you a small fourtune. Even at 2klbs the car with 160whp is about as fast as a stock 350z vq35hr. The car was not ment to go fast in a straight line. It's just how it is, I'm going to do N/A mods and even that sould make a massive improvement through the turns.

Most people use the blitz supercharger because it's a clutch system so you can controll your boost, which allows you to get good gas mialage when need be.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
Building the bottom end isn't that expensive if you are looking for those numbers however when it comes to building the valvetrain it'll cost you a small fourtune. Even at 2klbs the car with 160whp is about as fast as a stock 350z vq35hr. The car was not ment to go fast in a straight line. It's just how it is, I'm going to do N/A mods and even that sould make a massive improvement through the turns.

Most people use the blitz supercharger because it's a clutch system so you can controll your boost, which allows you to get good gas mialage when need be.
an elise weighs 2000lbs and has 160whp stock...how fast is it? *edit is does it in 13.7s
Old 11-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #14
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Build the motor. It's weak. I have been through 5 or 6 motors, 150whp (DD dyno uncorrected) is the limit for hard driving I know this all too well. Maybe a bit more if you just plan to drag it. I was able to pull a 14.01 in the 1/4 on a stock motor, I don't think anyone has been able to touch that yet. in a stock 1nz-fe.

Build it and turbo it. Custom manifold and large turbo maybe if you want big numbers, nothing bolt-on will put down big numbers unless you run nitrous also. The HKS and Greddy kit have tiny turbos which is alright but max out around 200whp.

If you do it, race it! Rock it! there are only a handful of big number 1nz-fe's in the US that put down crazy power, but I never see them race!! Im lonely!!!

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
BlownYaris

Interesting. Thanks for posting guys.

150-160 whp sounds good. for a stock motor.

The rotrex sc is more then sufficient to handle that even up to 600whp on virtually any motor.

Maybe a turbo might be better but I will need to look into this.

Now tranny...what mods have guys done....to hold this whp....valve bodies? tq convt? full bullet proof trannys?

Tuning- whats the best on these cars?

Thanks guys.

BTW 14.01-14.5 would be great on a 1/4 mile on this motor stock.

Thank you very much.

Jon
Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #16
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
I was able to pull a 14.01 in the 1/4 on a stock motor, I don't think anyone has been able to touch that yet. in a stock 1nz-fe.
Wasn't there a stock yaris w/ NOS in PR in the 14s or 13s?
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
BlownYaris

I think Im going the rotrex route. Im waiting on final numbers.

We will see.

Is there any trannys that are tiptronic for auto based trannys we can upgrade too or swap?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #18
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
no matter what you do, the block itself can only hold up to about 168HP before shits gonna go down