Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #19
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
I did some research on the 2012 NCP131 yaris, and there is a difference in part number for the fender liners on the G's/RS/SE vs BASE L/LE, BUT the difference is minor. The overall shape of the fender and the clip mounting spots look the exact same, but there is extra support for the G's/RS/SE bumper shown on the pic below circled in red.

BASE LINER: 53876‑52290+53875‑52290
RS/SE LINER: 53805‑52080+53806‑52070/53875‑52330+53876‑52320
Gazoo racing G's LINER: 53875‑WY010+53876‑WY010

would the bumper swap work without changing the fender liners? 99% sure yes. If you like to have the extra support of the liners, or the liners don't reach the holes of the new bumper, you can make a new hole in the very thin fender liner and zip-tie, like kioshi recommended, or just leave it alone.

Some other people just toss out the fender liner all together and slam the car with low offset rims to not deal with rubbing :)

Last edited by enviri; 07-04-2012 at 02:56 AM. Reason: added part#
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #20
Lady J

Drives: Efficient
Thanks for the options as I am thinking about it.
Lady J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #21
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
im sure the bumper the bumper will swap out. i was under the impression the headlights were slightly shaped different on the SE then on the l and LE models.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
nope. same shape.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #23
muffin_top

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5MT
Keep in mind that Toyota doesn't always change the illustration to show variances in the actual part.

I will try to get pics of an L vs my SE so you can see the difference.
muffin_top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin_top View Post
Keep in mind that Toyota doesn't always change the illustration to show variances in the actual part.

I will try to get pics of an L vs my SE so you can see the difference.
I await your pictures to be proven wrong sir
Fender liners don't touch fog light housings or anything, FYI. A CAI will hit the fender liner and protrude it out a little.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
muffin_top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
I await your pictures to be proven wrong sir
Fender liners don't touch fog light housings or anything, FYI. A CAI will hit the fender liner and protrude it out a little.
I have pic of my SE, the L we have was parked on asphalt and a bit toasty to crawl under for pics.

What I'm trying to understand is why one would go through all the trouble to swap the whole nose and not get the proper fender liners? I feel trying to rig with zip ties, new holes or stretching is severely compromising the part. I had a liner come off my 93 Civic at 70 MPH and fold over my brand new fender. Major downer, all because I tried to get by with some cheap knockoff retainer clips from Auveco, instead of proper OEM parts. They fit poorly and caused the leading edge to come loose and get sucked up by the tire.

Point being the liner is a different for a reason, if Toyota could have made it the same to save a few bucks, trust me they would have.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #26
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
I have pic of my SE, the L we have was parked on asphalt and a bit toasty to crawl under for pics.

What I'm trying to understand is why one would go through all the trouble to swap the whole nose and not get the proper fender liners? I feel trying to rig with zip ties, new holes or stretching is severely compromising the part. I had a liner come off my 93 Civic at 70 MPH and fold over my brand new fender. Major downer, all because I tried to get by with some cheap knockoff retainer clips from Auveco, instead of proper OEM parts. They fit poorly and caused the leading edge to come loose and get sucked up by the tire.

Point being the liner is a different for a reason, if Toyota could have made it the same to save a few bucks, trust me they would have.
You have one less thing to buy dude, if the fender is identical, why would you want a different part numbered fender?

Trust me, Ive done a 2007 to 2009 bumper swaps on my car. And i noticed what was different about fitment...just the fender needed to be tucked in a little and....$2 zipties tremendously helped that. You aren't rigging anything, seriously. You arent damaging the fender by putting a ziptie through it. I've driven my car with the swaps for several thousand miles (swap was done in March 2012) through dirt, snow, and water. My fender stayed on, its not going anywhere~

If the liner is different as you say, prove me wrong with a picture, please!
I can prove you that zipties tuck the fender liner perfectly without it protruding out or rubbing against the tires...

Show me a picture off of an L. I can get an SE pic on July 21st easily, just need to kneel down and snap a shot of where the holes are underneath :)
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
muffin_top

Here is the point: Toyota does not use multiple part numbers for the Exact same part. Plain and simple. If two seemingly identical parts have different numbers then it is a substitution or it is indeed different. Toyota has one of the most enviable parts operations in the business, it did not earn that reputation by jamming the PDC's with redundant parts. Please don't let your experience with your car and it's fender liner skew these facts. Also, please don't let my recent membership and low post count belie my experience.

If you feel like not buying the correct parts to do the swap properly is good advice then okay, that's your opinion. I feel it's flawed given the spirit of trying to help someone with less experience looking for guidance on upgrading his/her car to the RS type nose. I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on that.

Here are some more facts to digest. The bumper and liner on L/LE trim grades are much shorter than SE/RS. One bolt on the inner edge where it bolts to the center shield is in the same place and the main portion over the wheelhouse is the same basic shape, that's where the similarity ends. Using my phone as a size reference, the bumper looks a good 3/4 iPhone length shorter/narrower on L/LE. It also appears that where the horizontal front portion bends up to form the half round lining is up higher since the bumper is much shorter.

Onto the pics..

Here is a pic of my driver side liner. Amusing that it is marked "RS" in the liner itself.

Here is a pic of a new 5 door LE.

Now, compare where the air guide is positioned on the RS versus this shot of the LE. The air guide is a good 3 inches furthur inward on the RS, thats how much difference there is in width of the liner. No amount of zip ties is going to strech/grow/distort the liner that much. No way.

Last edited by muffin_top; 07-06-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
Lady J

Drives: Efficient
appreciate the input guys,thanks and remember we are Toyota Family are we are here to support each other and build or knowledge base
Lady J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #29
2012YarisSE
Gray Metalic

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady J View Post
I prefer the Se model Bumper and would like to put it on my L they seem to be the same fitting apart from the grills and fog light inserts,my concern is mainly the fender liners as the older model RS fender liners were different from the regular liners.
Has anyone done this mod or have any insight?thanks
Have you considered just buying a SE or is this not an option at this time?
2012YarisSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
CPALK719

Not trying to condone doing things half ass, but i seriously doubt you need all that extra crap, just to install a bumper. stock fenderliners and those plastic shitty clips are universal for all 2012 yaris, i would assume. as well as alot of other cars with their different trim level all tend to interchangeable.

i mean common sense, if you ever did a front bumper swap its usually a few 10mm bolt to screw and unscrew and be done. i've done this when i decided to go from the evo 8 front to the evo 9 front end. i also have been continplating on changing my 96 del sol front bumper to 93-95 style.

Only problem i can see you having is getting the front repainted and buying the small plastic trim pieces for the fogs and thats it really.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #31
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
lol so no one's jumping on these deals?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...umper&_sacat=0

Everyone wants the product when its no where to be found..and now that there are plenty, no one wants to touch it?
now if we could only find the yaris hsd headlamps and the rs g's rear bumper!
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
muffin_top

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPALK719 View Post
Not trying to condone doing things half ass, but i seriously doubt you need all that extra crap, just to install a bumper. stock fenderliners and those plastic shitty clips are universal for all 2012 yaris, i would assume. as well as alot of other cars with their different trim level all tend to interchangeable.

i mean common sense, if you ever did a front bumper swap its usually a few 10mm bolt to screw and unscrew and be done. i've done this when i decided to go from the evo 8 front to the evo 9 front end. i also have been continplating on changing my 96 del sol front bumper to 93-95 style.

Only problem i can see you having is getting the front repainted and buying the small plastic trim pieces for the fogs and thats it really.

On the 12+ Yaris it is not that easy. It's just not. Again, both upper and lower grilles, fender liners, fog lamp garnishes, and bumper cover are all different. Not just a little bit different, totally not the same whatsoever! Sure, the clips and related hardware are identical but thats were it ends..

I've swapped bumpers on an Evo (easy) 96-98 and 99-00 Civics (not easy). I have not done a del Sol, but Honda like Toyota tends to change little brackets and retainers that add up to big $$ to make things fit properly. The Yaris is only slightly easier than a EK Civic in that the fenders themselves are the same, as well as the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
now if we could only find the yaris hsd headlamps and the rs g's rear bumper!
Heck, I'd settle for some RS LED tails!!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #33
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Will be installing a rear SE bumper cover on my LE,the front is not cost effective with all the other parts needed to swap,that's why I painted my
lower grill and fog light covers...
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #34
CPALK719

Quote:
On the 12+ Yaris it is not that easy. It's just not. Again, both upper and lower grilles, fender liners, fog lamp garnishes, and bumper cover are all different. Not just a little bit different, totally not the same whatsoever! Sure, the clips and related hardware are identical but thats were it ends..

I've swapped bumpers on an Evo (easy) 96-98 and 99-00 Civics (not easy). I have not done a del Sol, but Honda like Toyota tends to change little brackets and retainers that add up to big $$ to make things fit properly. The Yaris is only slightly easier than a EK Civic in that the fenders themselves are the same, as well as the hood.

Heck, I'd settle for some RS LED tails!!
as i've said i've done my evo, i have been continplating on doing my del sol, and i've taking my Rsx front bumper off many times when i owned it, with no problems. i honestly don't see anything hard with it. the undertray if the car even has one, which i havent checked yet, doesn't need to be on. i took mine off my evo probably the first year i purchase it. the plastic fenderwell liners, as someone else said are a pain in the ass, and if you get bigger wider wheels might as well just take them off as well.

technically speaking you dont need any of the plastics that everyone is refering to, in order to swap a bumper out. all is needed is the front bumper, the little mesh grill in and so fourth.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #35
muffin_top

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPALK719 View Post
as i've said i've done my evo, i have been continplating on doing my del sol, and i've taking my Rsx front bumper off many times when i owned it, with no problems. i honestly don't see anything hard with it. the undertray if the car even has one, which i havent checked yet, doesn't need to be on. i took mine off my evo probably the first year i purchase it. the plastic fenderwell liners, as someone else said are a pain in the ass, and if you get bigger wider wheels might as well just take them off as well.

technically speaking you dont need any of the plastics that everyone is refering to, in order to swap a bumper out. all is needed is the front bumper, the little mesh grill in and so fourth.
I agree, taking the bumper cover off a modern vehicle is a relatively easy project.

Fender liners are a personal preference, I guess. I live in a state that can get a fair amount of snowfall, so fender liners are a must if its the daily. One of my Civics, the 99 EM1, spent most of its life in Florida/Georgia before the previous owner moved here. That car was very low and had its front liners removed early on for wheel clearance. Alot of work was needed to correct 80k miles of road sand, tar and whatever else that had eaten away the etch coat. The leading edges of both front door shells were sandblasted badly. Just nothing from stopping debris from damaging the paint in those areas. Besides that, it looks naked and unfinished without them.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #36
CPALK719

Quote:
I agree, taking the bumper cover off a modern vehicle is a relatively easy project.

Fender liners are a personal preference, I guess. I live in a state that can get a fair amount of snowfall, so fender liners are a must if its the daily. One of my Civics, the 99 EM1, spent most of its life in Florida/Georgia before the previous owner moved here. That car was very low and had its front liners removed early on for wheel clearance. Alot of work was needed to correct 80k miles of road sand, tar and whatever else that had eaten away the etch coat. The leading edges of both front door shells were sandblasted badly. Just nothing from stopping debris from damaging the paint in those areas. Besides that, it looks naked and unfinished without them.
yea, and i can understand then if your in the northern states, which gets snow and and they throw salt on the roads that can definetly destroy your exterior with either rot or rust.

I myself live in south florida, my undertray came off the first year i own my evo, when i installed bigger wheels onto the evo the fenderliners started to get eatten up from the tires rubbing. needless to say they arent a necessary here.