Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
Zedicus

Drives: scion xb
prius c 1nz swap

this thread is a conglomerate from my postings on other forums, one of those is basically dead, and the other is non-public. also i have taken a fair amount of info from yarisworld. so you guys may find this stuff useful. long story short, i aquired an XB with a bad engine.

put in a junkyard yaris engine that did not live long. but i got to drive it about 2 weeks.

rebuilt the original engine with prius c pistons and stuff but the original Cams must have been fractured from before i got it. they broke when i went to start that engine and before i figured out what happened it pushed metal through the second rebuild ruining it. instead of having the thing crushed, i stumbled upon a 200$ 3822 mile prius c engine. (now that you are caught up, continue)

the installed cam in the prius c 1nzfxe is atkins cycle, the lobe is much more rounded and longer duration. the yaris cams will be going in. the springs are a different part number, but visually quite similar so i am going to leave the prius springs in place. i suspect the prius springs may have a slightly lower spring weight to them but i am not building a race car and theres only about 1000 RPM difference in the redline of the 2 engines so i am going to run it and see. (typically i would change the springs out, but i am getting tired of tossing money into this pit so this is getting a try it or take it to the crusher last ditch effort)

other minor differences like no waterpump, no alternator bracket (it would have been on the waterpump mount) and watercooled EGR, as well as slight differences in the belhousing mount. nothing that i think cant be remedied. (the prius C engine was dumb cheap, if i can sell the prius c waterpump the engine will have been free.)

benefits: this prius c engine had 3822 miles, comparatively the yaris and other 1nz junk yard engines are 100k plus. My last rebuild was hampered by used cams and i do not want to do a real full rebuild for a 2500$ vehicle. the electric waterpump should free up some horse power, i can not use the toyota one as it is connected to the prius ECU. debating how to handle power steering and alternator. at a casual glance it looks like the power steering pump will bolt up, alternator will need a little work. rebuilt and went to start the engine:

power steering pump does not bolt up with out custom bracket. (not an issue for yaris people) i gutted it and made the xb rack manual. could have used an echo rack, or a MR2 electric pump, or converted to a yaris rack and electric motor assist, however i am a cheap bastid.

alternator needs custom bracket.

had to swap the lower case to accommodate starter location, A/C, and help make it easier to bolt the transmission up.

waterpump = davies craig aftermarket EWP.

TODO

Engine Mounts

Energy urethane. the scion mounts are the same as the 04 body style yaris so if you need mounts use those. the next body style yaris (07) you can mount 2 of the scion mounts in the roll stops if you have a press.

besides some cosmetics, the yaris 1.5, 1st gen XB, and echo, are virtually all the same cars.

fixing post, check back soon

Last edited by Zedicus; 04-22-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Zedicus is offline   Reply With Quote