Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #37
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
The 2012 just seems to be joining the "usual" look giving up the center cluster. Sure makes the magazine reviewers happy I've noticed. Exterior reminds me of the Tercel hatch from the late 80's early 90's. Now I wait for the Scion IQ to show up.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #38
jei

Drives: VitZ
i like it. especially in se trim. now i will say i wish the 3 door came in se trim.
jei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #39
Fortmax

Drives: Toyota Corolla
I wish the rear brakes were disk .
Fortmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #40
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortmax View Post
I wish the rear brakes were disk .
they are in the se, right?
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #41
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
The rear brakes are disk on the SE only.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #42
Fortmax

Drives: Toyota Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
The rear brakes are disk on the SE only.
Thats true, but the L & LE models were still both drum brakes.
Fortmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #43
SailDesign

Drives: .
In answer to the original question - No!
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #44
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I don't care for the new redesign. Th center speedometer was something I liked and made the Yaris so distinctive. Now, with the speedometer on the left side, its an average looking car.

But it doesn't really matter. My 09 has what I like. I will drive it until I can't fix it anymore or I can't get gas for it. I would even consider converting it into a natural gas hybrid if the cost for such conversion goes down.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #45
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
The frist impression is the best, I like the classic look.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #46
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
I find the Gen2 has unique lines that will stand the test of time as a unique little design. The Gen3s on the other hand....look like a generic little econo-box.

I really wanted to like it, they've tried to make it "sportier", yet somehow it just comes off as generic. Not a fan of the interior either. I am totally happy with my purchase of a 2010, as I would not have purchased a 2012+.

If I was forced to purchase something brand new right now it'd either be a Turbocharged Chevrolet Sonic or a Mazda2. That said I think the Yaris Gen2 design will hold up much better than either of those. It's no Beetle, Minibus, or original Mustang....but still a rather unique and pleasant design. Always reminded me of a happy little puppy that wants to play.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #47
yaris_ninja
Yaris_Ninja

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5Door Hatchback
Send a message via MSN to yaris_ninja
when i saw the new 2012 Yaris design I was like omg they totally messed up such a great car. i have a 2009 Yaris and i love the curves of the car. i dont like how they are trying to put edges on a car thats meant to be have curves.
yaris_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #48
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Other than the instrument clusters being moved to where they should be, I don't really care much about the overall new design.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #49
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
In answer to the original question - No!
+1
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #50
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmoninfinity View Post
I probably missed where this was discussed many times before, but do you guys actually like the new look?
I really like all of the new 2012 owners I'm seeing here!
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #51
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

yeah, between 2012+ owners joining these forums and Gen2s getting older and more affordable as used cars we should see lots of new members in the next year or two.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #52
broody

Drives: Yaris 3dr 2009
I prefere the new interior over the old one (although it's sad for the glove boxes), but I liked the old exterior better, not than much however. The new one looks a bit lower and less "minivan". Otherwise, the new yaris has so much better seats and driving position than before, and that's the major reason why I would get a 2012 over a 2011 model, and over the competition. The only cars with such a good driving position and generous leg room are the expensive mini and the Chevry Sonic. And the Sonic has a cheesy interior and still feels cheap despite the improvement. And it's probably the least roomy car of the segment. Exterior is fresh and modern though.

As for the fiesta, I don't like the look, both inside and outside, and it's more expensive in hatchback trim. The fit looks like a minivan (I can live with it since it's so roomy), but the noise level and comfort are the worst in the segment. The new Accent will soon be obsolete design wise, will break quicker than an yaris, resell for less, and the interior still feel cheap, not roomy, and visibility isn't great.
broody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #53
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

one of the reasons I sprung for a 3dr instead of a 5dr was to avoid that whole mini-minivan look.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #54
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by broody View Post
The new Accent will soon be obsolete design wise, will break quicker than an yaris, resell for less, and the interior still feel cheap, not roomy, and visibility isn't great.
obsolete why? it doesnt look dramatically different from alot of 5 door hatches. as for the rest, id have to vehemently disagree having spent much time in both cars over the last 2 months.

the new accent is vastly better than the 12 yaris in almost every way, and most all reviewers and buyers do agree. it has enough interior volume to be classified as a compact by the epa..so quite a bit bigger than the yaris.

passenger volume: accent 90.1
yaris 84.4

cargo volume: accent 21.2
yaris 15.3

the accent with rear seats folded down has almost 50 sq feet of cargo volume.

as you can see, the numbers really arent very close. i can say sitting in both cars, its easy to tell the accent feels more like a compact car and the yaris a subcompact. saying the accent is not roomy in comparing it to the yaris would lead me to think a person hasnt really been in the new accent.

the interior plastics in the accent have a nice texture (unlike the bizarre and excessively cheap looking paper mache type plastic in the yaris) , the head unit looks modern versus the old square radio toyota shoved into a hole in the dash of the yaris), seats are bigger, and as a 6'+ driver i can verify the driving position is superior. the yaris steering wheel is built so close to the dash that to put ones seat where there is a proper reach to the wheel, ones legs are crammed in too tight.

the accent offers quite a bit more power and barely weighs more, offers better mileage whether auto or manual, has easily less road/engine noise and a far more refined feeling engine.

the one single thing i could say the yaris has over the accent is rear visibility, but not enough to worry about.

the whole reliability argument went out the window a good 5 years ago.

there is nothing wrong if one likes the looks of the yaris over other cars in the class or if someone just wants to own a toyota. however being objective as i can be (and i have been a toyota loyalist since getting my license 30 yrs ago), the yaris has fallen far behind the accent.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote