Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Help - Rainy Driving / Fog Lights

I don't mean "how to drive in the rain" - I already know how, and have even autoX'd in the rain.

I'm looking into doing a road trip from Southern California, the the NW part of California, specifically, Redwoods National Park. The trip is being planned for the end of November. As such, I'm expecting lots of rain (and fog in some areas).

My concern is being able to see during these foggy and rainy conditions. I don't have fog lamps, HIDs, or anything fancy (not yet).

I'm curious and wanting to hear from people who regularly drive in remote areas with rain and fog.

I don't want a cheap set of ebay Fog lights if they're going to be completely useless.

Is it better to have the yellow fog lights over the clear ones?

Would projector style headlights be good, or not?

All I know for sure is that using high-beams in fog sucks, as it just reflects back onto the driver.

Any help is appreciated.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Check out the morimoto led fog kight kit for the yaris. Super powerful with a nice cutoff line for foggy weather. You can also order them with a yellow film lense. I have them on my yaris and theyre awesome. Picked them up from here:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...ts-toyota.html

Someone on yarisworld did a write up on install with pics of them lit up. Just search morimoto fog lights. Im sure you can find it.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
justjesus

Thanks Aspro. With google, finding the thread was easy.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53330
Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
LED tend to do better as fog lights as they are more direct light. Keep them mounted low and aimed along the road(where fogs belong), and they won't scatter nearly as much light back at you. For driving lights (just dark roads) halogen etc would be better as you get a wider view. More likely to see that deer about to run across the road etc. I used to drive a dark, dangerous road regularly and had my right driving light aimed far right/high so I could see the side of the road better, and not blind oncoming traffic.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
bairjo

I switched to the Silverstar ultra head light bulbs. You won't be using the high beams in rain and fog, but you wouldn't use the high beams with the OEM bulbs as well. Big difference though when you use them. However, they say they don't last as long....but I don't care...I like how they perform and will replace as needed.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:30 AM   #6
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
If you don't mind me asking, when are planning on driving?

During the day you should be ok with just regular low-beams, but night-time it's a different story.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
I installed old school Hellas fogs. They work very well illuminating the sides.
Also "fills" part of the headlight pattern. My headlight bulbs are also the Silverstars Ultra.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
justjesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
LED tend to do better as fog lights as they are more direct light. ... More likely to see that deer about to run across the road etc. I used to drive a dark, dangerous road regularly and had my right driving light aimed far right/high ....
Cory, thanks for the tips. I'm learning on lighting tech. I do have about a month's time, so I should be able to learn enough :) - I really like the idea of aiming the right light a bit to the right. This actually reminded me of my road trip across Arizona. Many times, I kept a keen eye on the right, for fear of animals darting out. From the right, you have less time to react. I'll also keep the fogs low

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I switched to the Silverstar ultra head light bulbs. ... However, they say they don't last as long....but I don't care...I like how they perform and will replace as needed.
Bairjo: I saw those Silberstars during searching. The Phillips also seem promising. - I'm like you, I don't mind changing them more frequently for better performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, when are planning on driving?

During the day you should be ok with just regular low-beams, but night-time it's a different story.
I don't mind. Honestly, don't know. The intent is to do the scenery, hiking, etc during the day, so surely there will be night driving. During my Arizona trip, we often drove WAY WAY after we thought we would, and a few times up into like 3am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
I installed old school Hellas fogs. They work very well illuminating the sides.
Also "fills" part of the headlight pattern. My headlight bulbs are also the Silverstars Ultra.
haha.. Hellas! Old school, indeed. I was looking at those yesterday. Good pricing, compared to PIAAs.

Okay, another user of the Silverstars Ultra. That sounds like it is a good choice.

Thank you all for your posts

Keep them coming!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
IMO, regular headlights on low beam with yellow auxiliary (fog) lighting. You don't want white and bright since that shit just reflects right back at you. The whiter/brighter, the worse it gets.

I remember once back in the '80s before the days of DRLs, being in one of the worse fogs I've ever encountered. As an experiment, I went for a bit with just parking lights on. I was amazed at how superior my forward vision was with the headlights off.

I will not endorse Silvershit since my last experience with them lasted 5 months, at which point they both burned out 1 day apart.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
justjesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
As an experiment, I went for a bit with just parking lights on. I was amazed at how superior my forward vision was with the headlights off.

I will not endorse Silvershit since my last experience with them lasted 5 months, at which point they both burned out 1 day apart.

I did such an experiment myself, when it was really foggy by home. I tried no lights, low beam, high beam, and just parking lamps. Though, I forget which was best. High was worst. Still haven't tried this with heavy rain, though.

Hmm, so one bad for Silver.Thanks for the input :)