Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
yariska
Car Guru

Drives: Subaru
Thinking about a Yaris and have some questions

Hey all,

I am new here from Canada and am looking for a Yaris and I would like some general information.

What body style is more popular sedan or hatch?
Are there different trim levels (ie EX or LE)
If so, which is the higher end model?
What year did the Yaris start having heated mirrors?
Do any Yaris seats have leather?
What is a good year Yaris to buy?
Do any roof racks fit on the yaris (Sedan or hatch? (i just need it for skis)

Basically I am looking at replacing my Subaru Legacy with a Yaris but I want to be able to fit a roof rack and have heated mirrors. Leather would be nice but not needed as I know the Yaris is a small cheaper car. I would like as new as possible without buying new so I am asking here.

That should be all the questions for now so any help is appreciated.

Thank you
yariska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
What body style is more popular sedan or hatch? Probably pretty close to 50/50. May swing by 10% one way or the other depending on where you are in Canada.

Are there different trim levels (ie EX or LE) CE, LE, RS for the hatch. Base (B, C, F packages) and Aero for sedan.

If so, which is the higher end model? RS and Aero

What year did the Yaris start having heated mirrors? Don't know.

Do any Yaris seats have leather? No

What is a good year Yaris to buy? Probably wise to avoid '06 and '07 if you care about ABS brakes. Otherwise, all years equally good.

Do any roof racks fit on the yaris (Sedan or hatch? (i just need it for skis). Yes, both Toyota optioned (for sedan and 5 dr), or after market (Thule, Yakima, etc.). 3 door hatch is the hardest to equip with a rack.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by yariska View Post
Hey all,

What body style is more popular sedan or hatch?
I guess thats more personal preference, but here in Oklahoma I see a lot more hatches than sedans by a good margin. Mine's a 3-door hatch.
Quote:
Are there different trim levels (ie EX or LE)
I may be wrong about this I believe its just Base and the slightly more "sporty" looking S.
Quote:
If so, which is the higher end model?
See above
Quote:
What year did the Yaris start having heated mirrors?
Quote:
Do any Yaris seats have leather?
I think so, or that may have been someone who ordered leather seat covers from Garm
Quote:
What is a good year Yaris to buy?
I love my 2007. I think there was a minor style change in 2010 so the only reason to go older would be there are more mods for it? 2007-2009 all look the same. Personally I wouldn't consider anything older than 2007.
Quote:
Do any roof racks fit on the yaris (Sedan or hatch? (i just need it for skis)
Check this thread out.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
What body style is more popular sedan or hatch? Probably pretty close to 50/50. May swing by 10% one way or the other depending on where you are in Canada.

Are there different trim levels (ie EX or LE) CE, LE, RS for the hatch. Base (B, C, F packages) and Aero for sedan.

If so, which is the higher end model? RS and Aero

What year did the Yaris start having heated mirrors? Don't know.

Do any Yaris seats have leather? No

What is a good year Yaris to buy? Probably wise to avoid '06 and '07 if you care about ABS brakes. Otherwise, all years equally good.

Do any roof racks fit on the yaris (Sedan or hatch? (i just need it for skis). Yes, both Toyota optioned (for sedan and 5 dr), or after market (Thule, Yakima, etc.). 3 door hatch is the hardest to equip with a rack.
You Canadians must have more options than us, or I'm not very observant. heh
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
yariska
Car Guru

Thanks for the reply guys. I am in the GTA, Ontario and am just wondering if a Yaris is worth it. I drive a Subaru Legacy and I am getting something like 17 mpg (14L/100KM) and with gas prices going up I wonder if it is a smart move as gas is only going up.

Not sure thought if this would be a bad choice
Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

I don't drive very eco-friendly and I still get 38MPG according to my UltraGauge and math at the pump. I could probably get above 40 easy if I kept my foot out of it. Plenty of people here do.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
yariska
Car Guru

Yeah I use Fuelly.com to track my gas mileage and it's very poor. I have always wanted a Subaru and got one finally and I love it but I do 95% city driving and I am getting about 340 km to a 64L tank (210 miles to 16 gallon tank). I have always been against small cars but I can easily save $100 a month with fuel by switching to a small car.

My dad lives in Europe and has a 1st gen Yaris and I was driving around Europe with him so I do have some experience in the car. Just have to see if I can handle from going from a luxury to a economy car to save some money and sell my car before gas goes too high and it's worth half what it is now.

Well I will keep reading around the forums and see if I can finally decide.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
e39a

Drives: Subaru Forester SF5 t/tb
Mine is a 09 hatch, for this year, if it's got power mirrors, they'll be heated too. Only the RS has side curtain airbags. Drivetrain is the same among the CE, LE and RS.
e39a is offline   Reply With Quote