Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
08 D4D intermittant mis-fire

My beloved Yaris is sick. I was 1 mile into my journey today and all was fine and when I checked my mirror for traffic behind I see huge amounts of blue smoke for a few seconds, I lift off the trottle to find a safe place to pull off the road, and as I slow down the smoke clears. (All during this time there is no loss in performance nor any noise or warning lights. My oil level is at full and coolant level at max, temperature cool light went off shortly before blue smoke.) so as I am slowing down and the blue smoke clears, I accelerated slightly back up to 40mph and there is no more smoke. I continue for another 6 miles into town without any problems, stop and switch engine off, top up my diesel tank from half full to full and then within a 1/2 mile I feel a stutter (loss of power) for a fraction of a second and then the check engine warning light comes on. No blue smoke nor any unusual smells or noises.
I was able to pull in immeadiately and shut off the engine.
I checked the oil and coolant levels and checked the prime pump on the fuel filter and all is well.
So I rang my Toyota dealer to tell them I was heading their way and to stay open for a while longer. On this journey of 15 miles the first 2-3 miles the engine stuttered at random on constant trottle every 10-30 seconds and then ran perfectly for the rest of the journey.
At the dealer they plugged it in and said the ERG? code showed up (they didn't tell me the actual code). Every time they reset the engine light it reappeared. They said they can't look at it properly until Tuesday and it should be fine to drive. They said the most likely cause is a build up of carbon on the valve and its stuck slightly open, it is supposed to shut under 1,200rpm and open above that.
The picture below is of the part they said needs to be removed and cleaned. It's just above the yellow dipstick in the centre of the photo.

I had a little look at removing it myself but the harder to reach nuts are impossible to get at. I got a bad period of engine stutter on the way home and struggled for over 2 miles to keep going.
Any advice is welcome, dealer labour costs here are €80 per hour and they don't work too fast either. I have 125,000kms on the clock and it has a new fuel filter, air filter, oil & filter at 118,000 kms.

746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
746watts

Drives: 2014 yaris hybrid
Fixed now, the little electric motor was buggered due to the valve getting stuck and engine management system was going a bit mad. Part replaced (motor and valve unit).
746watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I'm glad you are back running again.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote