Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
jingles

Drives: 1991 Buick Century Custom
Thinking of getting a Yaris in the not-too-distant future

With one more year of college left, I don't have the cash to replace my hand-me-down, gas-guzzling Buick just yet, but I'm already getting eager to do so and looking at what my options will be in about a year. As my main concerns are reliability, economy, and total cost of ownership, I'm looking at the Yaris, Fit, Civic, and Corolla, with a bit of a bias toward the Toyotas since my dad's 2008 Highlander is chugging along just fine at ~220k miles with only one trip to the dealership for anything besides scheduled maintenance. So, since it looks like the US Yaris for the next model year is remaining unchanged except for the addition of daytime running lights, I figured I'd fire away:
  • Do most people find the LE a worthwhile upgrade over the L? I can see things like the split-folding rear seat and steering while audio controls being handy, but it looks like cruise control is fairly easy and cheap to add on my own, and I'd almost prefer to have crank windows--a power window issue was the reason why my dad's Highlander had to be taken in.
  • As someone who's only driven an automatic before, is there any reason I should go for or avoid the manual transmission if I decide on the L? I'd certainly like to learn how to drive with three pedals, but I don't know yet if I'd want to use one regularly (or learn on the Yaris's) and the auto gets pretty good mileage anyway. It's cheaper to replace a clutch than an auto, of course, but Toyota transmissions do seem to last ages.
  • In your opinion, are there any real reasons to go with a Corolla over the Yaris, or look at the Hondas instead?
jingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
5 star on reliability.

It's good fun brand new then of course ware and tare takes over. It loses some peppiness. That's when you start to appreciate the reliability aspect. From my experience i have never had any major work done to this car. It's on par with my previous ride Nissan Pulsar in terms of reliability except the gear box.

Speaking of manuals, change your oil periodically. At least do it by 2 to 3 years intervals. I didn't change mine for 6.5 years and it's not pleasant to shift in present form. But i did put red line Mt 90. It does wonders.I can see the result , good stuff redline.

I'd go with a Honda for the sportier ride if that's what you're after ( no one does variable valve timing like HONDA). Corolla for more power! bigger engines and more space likewise for Civic. Hondas and Yota are pretty much even on the reliability front. My bro's Honda has done 400 k miles and it still chugging along. Good gearbox too on honda's > YOTA.

Last edited by junorico24; 07-02-2013 at 09:47 AM.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
My dad has a corolla and he gets pretty good mileage as well. I was raised on manual transmissions and love them. I can get around 40mpgs if I drive it civil. I have done a few upgrades so I tend to drive a little closer to redline.

The cruise is easy to put in though I will say that rear seat is awesome. not only can you fold it down (each side independently) but it will also slide forward about 6" or so (each side is independent for that too).

I would say to test drive each of the cars. A friend of mine goes to hertz or enterprize and rents a car that he is interested in and drives it for a few days. He says he gets a better feel for the cars though he keeps his cars forever. He sees it as a small investment in something he plans to keep for a decade or more.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Manuals RULE! Better control of the car, better mpg, last forever if you drive anything like sane. Automatic use more gas, dont slow down as much when you take your foot off the gas, and can have very $$$$ problems when they get older.

As far as a clutch goes if you know how to drive one properly it will last 200k miles. If you dont well that could be a problem.

Honda Accords get 16 mpg these days so no I wouldnt buy a Honda. Saw one in the showroom a year ago so thats no lie. Thats what was on the sticker!

Corolla are getting BIGGGER AND BIGGER AND BIGGER! Soon they will be getting 16 mpg too. For my money strick with a YAris!

And get a MANUAL! Im too old to drive one anymore but you can do it for me.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
There's nothing wrong with the automatic transmissions in the Yaris, and mileage is about the same as a manual without the added hassle of having to shift all the time.

There's a reason why Toyota sells considerably more Yarii in automatic than manuals!

But I too prefer manual locks and windows, they're easy to operate (it's not tough to reach over to unlock the door or roll down the window) and not only are they lighter but you don't have to worry about electrical problems.

I just drove a Civic in Hawaii all last week and while it was a hybrid, I wasn't too thrilled with it and it didn't get much better gas mileage than my 08 Yaris auto with 17" wheels on it. I hated the auto-off feature, which shuts down the engine at stoplights and such. It felt like the car stalled, and it took a split-second to start up which was unnerving especially on hills.

I also drove a Corolla for a week last year in Albuquerque and didn't like it as much as my Yaris. Visibility is considerably worse and otherwise I didn't see much to make it stand above my Yaris.

While I haven't drive the Fit, it's basically a 2/3rds scale version of our Honda Odyssey. In other words, it looks like a shrunk-down minivan. There's no way I'd consider one, if I were in the market I would go for a VW Golf. It's a much more solid and better handling car...
Old 07-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I was with you all the way (although not necessarily in agreement totally) until you got to the point about the VW Golf.

Then you lost me!
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Manuals RULE!
Just my opinion, but...:thu mbsup::thu mbsup:

Quote:
As far as a clutch goes if you know how to drive one properly it will last 200k miles.
Almost 250k on my original clutch
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jingles View Post
With one more year of college left, I don't have the cash to replace my hand-me-down, gas-guzzling Buick just yet, but I'm already getting eager to do so and looking at what my options will be in about a year. As my main concerns are reliability, economy, and total cost of ownership, I'm looking at the Yaris, Fit, Civic, and Corolla, with a bit of a bias toward the Toyotas since my dad's 2008 Highlander is chugging along just fine at ~220k miles with only one trip to the dealership for anything besides scheduled maintenance. So, since it looks like the US Yaris for the next model year is remaining unchanged except for the addition of daytime running lights, I figured I'd fire away:
  • Do most people find the LE a worthwhile upgrade over the L? I can see things like the split-folding rear seat and steering while audio controls being handy, but it looks like cruise control is fairly easy and cheap to add on my own, and I'd almost prefer to have crank windows--a power window issue was the reason why my dad's Highlander had to be taken in.
  • As someone who's only driven an automatic before, is there any reason I should go for or avoid the manual transmission if I decide on the L? I'd certainly like to learn how to drive with three pedals, but I don't know yet if I'd want to use one regularly (or learn on the Yaris's) and the auto gets pretty good mileage anyway. It's cheaper to replace a clutch than an auto, of course, but Toyota transmissions do seem to last ages.
  • In your opinion, are there any real reasons to go with a Corolla over the Yaris, or look at the Hondas instead?
This may or may not end up making any difference...However....another difference between what MIGHT be available on in a showroom now vs a year from now (re the Yaris) is that a year from now you will be hard pressed to find a new Yaris that was assembled in Japan. The first Yaris from France (IIRC) is already here in the U.S.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Yeah, manuals rule.

I got an opportunity to drive a Toyota Hiace Van today ( manual).This thing hauls hard.Went to pick up a billiard table with 3 passengers on board handled it with ease. 300 k miles and it goes good. The gear box was crunchy but once it'sengage it hauls hard, from 2nd to 3rd, strong through these gears.Ride is comfortable too for a large van. I felt like i was driving a truck lol.

Wish we had that kind of power train in our Yari lol.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #10
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
LE automatic very nice car

I am 66 years old and can no longer drive a manual trans. due to a knee problem. When I tried to trade my manual transmission yaris in I was surprised at the resale value. The dealers want allow much for manual trans cars seems 95% of there customers want automatics. I would go for the LE and automatic, it has all the right power accessories to always be a desirable car. just my 2 cents.
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
jingles

Drives: 1991 Buick Century Custom
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with the automatic transmissions in the Yaris, and mileage is about the same as a manual without the added hassle of having to shift all the time.

There's a reason why Toyota sells considerably more Yarii in automatic than manuals!
Yeah, I was still leaning strongly toward the automatic. I completely understand why car people love manuals--my first camera was a fully manual 1983 Nikon FM2, and I can barely even use a digital point-and-shoot after that experience--but cars are little more than appliances to me, and I'd like to not have to worry about shifting when my driving is mostly around town.

Quote:
This may or may not end up making any difference...However....another difference between what MIGHT be available on in a showroom now vs a year from now (re the Yaris) is that a year from now you will be hard pressed to find a new Yaris that was assembled in Japan. The first Yaris from France (IIRC) is already here in the U.S.
Yeah, I doubt that there'd be a massive difference in quality... but I'd still rather have a Japanese one. I'd love to replace my Buick now and not have to get 17 MPG in the city anymore, but payments on a Yaris would be about half of what I make in a normal month after taxes, not to mention the insurance increase. Don't think I can afford it until I have my degree and a real job. :(

Thanks for the help, guys!
jingles is offline   Reply With Quote