Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2020, 03:17 AM   #1
rmshort

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3dr
Yari build thread

Welcome to my build thread, I have not gone all out quite yet as I'm still trying to do research and figure out what works best, but I'm about ready to buy:
1)Tanabe Medallion
2) Weapon-R headers
3)Godspeed Project Mono SS coil-overs. Anybody running these? Opinions? Tried to search the forum but couldn't find anything.
3)NST Alt/Crank/WP pulley kit or Pedal Commander throttle controller. Unsure about the throttle controller for the price, but I'm running out of other ideas to eliminate the performance dip in the 35-45 range(only annoyance.. for the most part, lol.) Suggestions are much appreciated/needed!

And here's my score of the day, went to my local junkyard and found an 07 corolla which was hardly touched
1) Fuel rail already mostly taken off, so one bolt and I have four 2zzge injectors.
2) Finally got a 2zz TB
3) as well as a few other goodies like a newer shift Knob from a '12 Camry, Prius push start button(I found the Prius graveyard) and a new dash control knob because mine glitches out because it doesn't click right.

All for $81 and some! Fuel Injectors are going to need some work, as the seals are all shot, but I don't plan to boost for a few months so they will wait if the ECU will just tune them down after install. Cleaned the throttle body up and swapped the coolant lines so they both would fit. That made me very happy, to not have to spend $15 for a stupid coolant line:) Also had a breather hose but turned out to be far too big.

Mods that I have already done:
1)Konig Backbones 16x7 +40, wrapped in Falken Sincera 195/55(I ordered 205/60 but it's what discount tire said they got.)
2)Tanabe Sustec strut tower bar
3)Spec-D Tuning Halo Projector Headlights(Before and after pictures)
4) Atoto A6, 4xRockford Fosgate Primes, and 8" Rockville under seat sub
5) Spec-D spoiler, Metallic/Flat black layered and sanded between coats on Meteorite Metallic Liftback. Find the car 5x more appealing from the outside now.
Bonus) Replaced corroded battery terminals and blacked-out Toyota logos and Yaris emblem

Here's the pictures I have, sorry I'm not good at documenting in the process! If you would like me to take pictures of my coolant lines to TB or anything else please let me know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200706_190034.jpg (160.1 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 20200317_150524.jpg (90.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 20200529_193014.jpg (145.3 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 20200601_154138.jpg (84.0 KB, 167 views)
rmshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:20 AM   #2
rmshort

Forgot to mention, I'm also going to have to research how to bypass the key fob on the push start button and install a kill switch, for when I'll be away from the car for a while, behind passenger glovebox.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Nice! Will be following your build.

I'm considering coilovers too for my car. There are very mixed reviews of the Godspeed coilovers. If I go the coilover route, I'll be looking at something other than the Godspeeds. IMO, too much of a risk. It would suck to install them, have the suspension tuned only to have it start to fail within a short period of time. There are many reviews of people that liked them for a short time, but then things started failing. I may simply pick up the Eibach lowering springs and hope that it's what I'm looking for. I have other places to spend money on my car, so still very much undecided about suspension upgrades. I like the stock handling, but would just like about 1" drop, largely for aesthetics, but also for a little better cornering performance. I do have the TRD rear bar and it improved the handling characteristics.

How are the SpecD headlights at night? I've not had good luck with any of the aftermarket eBay type headlights. The OE lights in almost every case produce much better light patterns and night time visibility. Where these are projectors, maybe the lighting is good, or acceptable.

I really like your strut brace.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
For coilovers you definitely get what you pay for. Anything that cheap is normally not very good. I don't have coilovers on my yaris, but I am local to Fortune Auto and 100% recommend their products. They also offer swift spring upgrades.

https://shop-fortune-auto.com/produc...ries-coilovers
Old 07-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
rmshort

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Nice! Will be following your build.

I'm considering coilovers too for my car. There are very mixed reviews of the Godspeed coilovers. If I go the coilover route, I'll be looking at something other than the Godspeeds. IMO, too much of a risk. It would suck to install them, have the suspension tuned only to have it start to fail within a short period of time. There are many reviews of people that liked them for a short time, but then things started failing. I may simply pick up the Eibach lowering springs and hope that it's what I'm looking for. I have other places to spend money on my car, so still very much undecided about suspension upgrades. I like the stock handling, but would just like about 1" drop, largely for aesthetics, but also for a little better cornering performance. I do have the TRD rear bar and it improved the handling characteristics.

How are the SpecD headlights at night? I've not had good luck with any of the aftermarket eBay type headlights. The OE lights in almost every case produce much better light patterns and night time visibility. Where these are projectors, maybe the lighting is good, or acceptable.

I really like your strut brace.
I had trouble finding reviews for the yaris god speed set, so I looked into reviews on accords, camrys, etc. which everybody thought they were good for the money. Thank you for the word, will be looking into more! The Bilstein b12 package on rockauto is right in my budget, but I would like to have more ability to tune the suspension. I want to be able to lower the car about the same, but I'm scared of sacrificing the ability to take her off-road. I take mine to the lake at least once a month and have some real fun, not to mention my area has quite a few cliche/gravel roads. Stock ride height is about 5" I believe and I like its capability, but I agree the Yaris looks much better lowered. I would love to be able to install an air ride system, but that's a mile out of budget. I think I'll just save up for the next few months and drop it on the Yellow Speed Racing coil-overs for about $920 USD. They are the only ones under $1000 that can be set at stock ride height. The Fortune Autos look high quality, but are a few hundred out of budget, also can't find specifics on drop range.

I really enjoy the Spec-d headlights, as you can see in the pictures my stock headlights were very faded, mostly on the inside of the housing, so I decided to replace them. Nighttime visibility has doubled, they have a higher projection than the original housings which allows you to see much farther ahead. They also fit the body lines better, as my original housing beside the airbox had 1 mounting bracket, so it would pop in and out of the bumper cover and bother the hell out of me. Personally one of my favorite mods, I really enjoy the look of them as they remind me of an Alfa Romeo 4C.

Thank you, I do too! I took my engine cover off and left it off a while ago, and I thought the strut-tower bar brought some character to engine bay. Much more confidence in cornering and I've also noticed that the wheels stay planted when going over bumps on our curvy highway. Prior to the Sustec bar, I would hit them going about 80mph and could feel the wheels and steering lose grip for half a second.

I loved your test drive video of the turbocharger, which inspired me to dream bigger with mine. Could you take a picture from the rear showing your wheel fitment? I tried to get a better fitment between the fender and wheel by upsizing to a 16x7, but it still looks awkward to me. Curious if the 13mm spacers are a good size to mitigate the gap.

Thanks, ya'll!
Old 07-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmshort View Post
I had trouble finding reviews for the yaris god speed set, so I looked into reviews on accords, camrys, etc. which everybody thought they were good for the money. Thank you for the word, will be looking into more! The Bilstein b12 package on rockauto is right in my budget, but I would like to have more ability to tune the suspension. I want to be able to lower the car about the same, but I'm scared of sacrificing the ability to take her off-road. I take mine to the lake at least once a month and have some real fun, not to mention my area has quite a few cliche/gravel roads. Stock ride height is about 5" I believe and I like its capability, but I agree the Yaris looks much better lowered. I would love to be able to install an air ride system, but that's a mile out of budget. I think I'll just save up for the next few months and drop it on the Yellow Speed Racing coil-overs for about $920 USD. They are the only ones under $1000 that can be set at stock ride height. The Fortune Autos look high quality, but are a few hundred out of budget, also can't find specifics on drop range.

I really enjoy the Spec-d headlights, as you can see in the pictures my stock headlights were very faded, mostly on the inside of the housing, so I decided to replace them. Nighttime visibility has doubled, they have a higher projection than the original housings which allows you to see much farther ahead. They also fit the body lines better, as my original housing beside the airbox had 1 mounting bracket, so it would pop in and out of the bumper cover and bother the hell out of me. Personally one of my favorite mods, I really enjoy the look of them as they remind me of an Alfa Romeo 4C.

Thank you, I do too! I took my engine cover off and left it off a while ago, and I thought the strut-tower bar brought some character to engine bay. Much more confidence in cornering and I've also noticed that the wheels stay planted when going over bumps on our curvy highway. Prior to the Sustec bar, I would hit them going about 80mph and could feel the wheels and steering lose grip for half a second.

I loved your test drive video of the turbocharger, which inspired me to dream bigger with mine. Could you take a picture from the rear showing your wheel fitment? I tried to get a better fitment between the fender and wheel by upsizing to a 16x7, but it still looks awkward to me. Curious if the 13mm spacers are a good size to mitigate the gap.

Thanks, ya'll!
Yeah, with the coilover setup, I'd be inclined to spend a few more bucks as a person might end up having to do the entire job again, but with more costly parts. On the coilover front, I'm having to do some measurements (I thought about this today) to see if I would have adequate clearance between my axle and turbo oil drain, if I dropped the car. I may have to see what's out there for stock height performance suspensions. As an aside, the Fortune Auto coilovers look amazing!

Great to hear about the Spec-D headlights. Now I'm regretting that I didn't snap up a set that was for sale here earlier in the for sale section. They were something like $80.00, shipping included. I had been speaking to the seller and decided not to move on them, figuring I'd be unhappy with the night visibility. Oh well.

Thanks for the kind comments on my build. I'll grab you some pics tomorrow of my current rear wheel/tire configuration.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 07-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
rmshort

Unhappy Change of Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yeah, with the coilover setup, I'd be inclined to spend a few more bucks as a person might end up having to do the entire job again, but with more costly parts. On the coilover front, I'm having to do some measurements (I thought about this today) to see if I would have adequate clearance between my axle and turbo oil drain, if I dropped the car. I may have to see what's out there for stock height performance suspensions. As an aside, the Fortune Auto coilovers look amazing!

Great to hear about the Spec-D headlights. Now I'm regretting that I didn't snap up a set that was for sale here earlier in the for sale section. They were something like $80.00, shipping included. I had been speaking to the seller and decided not to move on them, figuring I'd be unhappy with the night visibility. Oh well.

Thanks for the kind comments on my build. I'll grab you some pics tomorrow of my current rear wheel/tire configuration.
Quick question, where does the oil drain? filter, or oil pan? Have you thought about the TRD shocks/struts? Around $430-$500 from my local dealers. And now I feel like I've been ripped off, I paid $152 on Walmart website.. Anyways thank you!

Today was a long day. 94*F today and over 100* for the rest of the week. I use my hatch for my lawnmower because the restaurant where I worked closed for Covid-19, and I needed a quick way to make money, so I began mowing lawns. Today on my way to the city about 13 miles away from the town I live in, made it about 1/3 of the way when I noticed a discerning clicking noise that only occurred when I was on the accelerator. Within seconds my dash said I was overheating and threw 2 codes, P0441 and P0117. Waited 30 minutes and tried to start again, to no avail. Disconnected battery to make sure everything was off. Went to go get Sequoia and trailer to haul it back, took about 30 mins and came back, then she started back up. Was able to drive her to my grandma's house which was only about 2 miles away. When I put her in park she immediately stalled. I did a coolant flush and refill yesterday when I swapped throttle bodies. I filled it up a little bit more than full by accident but figured it would even out when it's pumped. Not sure what to do but this is not the first time she's left me on the side of the road. 1st time she has overheated though. Thinking about scrapping my project plans for now as I have just enough saved to do a 2zr swap. Was hoping to get more out of the 1nz but she's my daily and I need reliability more than anything. And I think the 30 horses would be better attained this way with problems pursuing. Will post pictures along the way. Going to try putting OEM TB back on and hope that will resolve the evap code. If anyone has any other solutions please let me know!
Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Quick question, where does the oil drain? filter, or oil pan? Have you thought about the TRD shocks/struts? Around $430-$500 from my local dealers. And now I feel like I've been ripped off, I paid $152 on Walmart website.. Anyways thank you!

Today was a long day. 94*F today and over 100* for the rest of the week. I use my hatch for my lawnmower because the restaurant where I worked closed for Covid-19, and I needed a quick way to make money, so I began mowing lawns. Today on my way to the city about 13 miles away from the town I live in, made it about 1/3 of the way when I noticed a discerning clicking noise that only occurred when I was on the accelerator. Within seconds my dash said I was overheating and threw 2 codes, P0441 and P0117. Waited 30 minutes and tried to start again, to no avail. Disconnected battery to make sure everything was off. Went to go get Sequoia and trailer to haul it back, took about 30 mins and came back, then she started back up. Was able to drive her to my grandma's house which was only about 2 miles away. When I put her in park she immediately stalled. I did a coolant flush and refill yesterday when I swapped throttle bodies. I filled it up a little bit more than full by accident but figured it would even out when it's pumped. Not sure what to do but this is not the first time she's left me on the side of the road. 1st time she has overheated though. Thinking about scrapping my project plans for now as I have just enough saved to do a 2zr swap. Was hoping to get more out of the 1nz but she's my daily and I need reliability more than anything. And I think the 30 horses would be better attained this way with problems pursuing. Will post pictures along the way. Going to try putting OEM TB back on and hope that will resolve the evap code. If anyone has any other solutions please let me know!
Sorry to hear about your troubles. That sucks. The P0117 makes sense as you overheated. Maybe you have an airlock, but normally these car burp pretty easily. Your P0441 seems an unrelated emissions code, but maybe the systems are interlinked.

Oil is drained from a bolt on the oil pan. Be careful not to drain the transmission by mistake. It's easy to mistake the two drain bolts.

The 2ZR swap is worth doing. If you stop there, you get extra power and torque (which you will definitely notice throughout the whole rev range), plus reliability.

I will post the requested pics in a few minutes, after I edit them for size.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:12 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Here are pics I just posted:

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...955#post830955

Old 07-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #10
rmshort

I know how to do an oil change lol, I should've been more specific, where does the turbo oil drain back into the system on your setup?

Yesterday I had to take her to the local Toyota dealer to get a diagnosis. Flushed and ran O.E. coolant through it, found exhaust gases coming through the coolant reservoir. Head gasket's blown, not worth the $2500 when I could source a 2ZR for 1/4 of the price and get more out of it. Probably didn't put enough coolant in the radiator after swapping throttle bodies, first time doing a full coolant flush and I thought a gallon would've been enough. Found a 2014 2ZR with 44k on the clock for $950 shipped from eBay. Comes with everything needed aside from ECU, XD mounts & Accessories, but the low-mileage is sooo tempting. Plan on waiting till Monday to source an engine locally and see if I can find any under $600 under 100k ideally. Would have to do the swap myself, 1) I would prefer to learn by experience, and 2) I don't have the $ to have a shop do it.
Thank's for visiting, more coming soon!
Old 07-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
I know how to do an oil change lol, I should've been more specific, where does the turbo oil drain back into the system on your setup?

Yesterday I had to take her to the local Toyota dealer to get a diagnosis. Flushed and ran O.E. coolant through it, found exhaust gases coming through the coolant reservoir. Head gasket's blown, not worth the $2500 when I could source a 2ZR for 1/4 of the price and get more out of it. Probably didn't put enough coolant in the radiator after swapping throttle bodies, first time doing a full coolant flush and I thought a gallon would've been enough. Found a 2014 2ZR with 44k on the clock for $950 shipped from eBay. Comes with everything needed aside from ECU, XD mounts & Accessories, but the low-mileage is sooo tempting. Plan on waiting till Monday to source an engine locally and see if I can find any under $600 under 100k ideally. Would have to do the swap myself, 1) I would prefer to learn by experience, and 2) I don't have the $ to have a shop do it.
Thank's for visiting, more coming soon!
Maybe I should have read more carefully.

Sorry to hear about your engine issues, but I suppose it sets you up for the swap.

The 44K engine would be nice. But nothing wrong with a higher mileage one. Do the engines come with intake and exhaust manifolds and/or any other accessories?

Here are a couple pics of where I put my turbo drain. This was a modification from the kit, which had the oil drain line looping under the axle. Please don't laugh too hard at my hardware store plumbing. LOL. It hasn't leaked a drop so far and it's an unpressurized line.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #12
rmshort

Arrow

I decided against the 44k milage 2ZR to save money for the rest of the project, as $950 would leave me little to afford the ECU and Motor Mounts. None of the engines on eBay have alternators or a/c components, wondering if the stock 1NZ acc. would be adequate until I could replace the alternator? The one I have my eye on right now has intake & exhaust manifold, throttle body, ignition coils, and plugs in place. Engines at 107,000 miles.

Still slightly confused on what all needs to be done. I know MCM used the trans that was already in their Yaris and they didn't have to rewire the speed sensor I believe. I don't have the money to do a manual swap while I'm in there, so gonna have to stick with the a/t for now. So could I just bolt the 2ZR up to the stock trans and replace the MAF sensor and top box? Here are the parts I'm looking at currently on eBay. Going to local japanese auto parts to quote prices for a 2ZR and ECU compared to eBay. (Is this the right ECU code?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200713-140817_eBay.jpg (80.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200713-132719_eBay.jpg (81.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #13
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
ArmstrongRacing's original swap was with an AT. Check his build thread for details and parts needed.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:16 PM   #14
06YarisRS

That's the same ECU I used. There is some wiring to do. MAF needs its own power source. A leg needs to be added to your harness for transmission speed sensor. CrankyOldMan is right. Tom Armstrong did the auto swap, but used a Corolla ECU and harness. I used a Scion xD ECU and harness and there were wiring differences between my build and his. With the help of the aforementioned guys and a couple others, we figured out the differences in wiring. It is all in my thread.

The only accessory that works is, I believe, the starter. A/C and alternator have different pulleys and mounting configurations. I just sourced an alternator and A/C compressor from a local salvage yard. Did end up having to buy a reman A/C compressor as the one from the junkyard was, well...junk.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-20-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:25 PM   #15
pica1592

Drives: 2016 Toyota Yaris LE
Interesting setup. I would love to see your plan come to fruition.
pica1592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #16
rmshort

Quote:
Originally Posted by pica1592 View Post
Interesting setup. I would love to see your plan come to fruition.
Hopefully will be able to begin teardown and swapping in about a month. Working on gathering parts at the moment. ECU from eBay, waiting to buy motor until I have some more money so I can assemble flow mods as the 2ZR goes in. Went to junkyard yesterday hoping to find an engine for $100(fill a wheelbarrow for $100, yes I'm naive) but the only 2ZR on the lot was labeled as no good so I took the alternator and intake manifold. Tried pulling a turbo to play around with later. Sadly I'm unfamiliar with euro cars, and as a result, a stubborn Benz broke my only ratchet on hand:). Tried to work on a Jetta turbo after that, but my remaining tools were just too big. 70 mile round trip with 14 mpg. Man do I miss my Yari.. Currently working on a remodel with family so I'll be putting my time in over there until I have the money to build her the way I've wanted to. Until then I'll keep this thread updated! Thank you!

Pardon my cheesy story but I find it funny how I had never heard of a Yaris until my Grandfather asked me if I wanted my Aunts. At first, I was like hell yeah. My first car for free? I was 17, recently started driving the Sequoia on my own, and had a ticket that was depleting my savings for buying my own. At first, I didn't think much of it. Over the past year this basic "economy car" has opened me up to a passion I didn't have when I graduated. Didn't really know what I wanted to do but after messing with my Yaris, fantasizing about what to do to it and then researching how to make it faster. I've delved into many possibilities and I've learned a lot about things I wouldn't have without my Yaris. I'm so grateful for this car and I would rather spend my money on her than find another. She's given me some headaches, but all because I didn't have experience. And what better way to learn then diving in headfirst lol

Edit: Forgot to mention, went to other import specific junkyards, and they all pull it to charge more and was quoted at $950+taxes and core. Meaning I would have to drive 45 miles back up there at 14mpg with my 1NZ which I planned on parting out. So local sourcing is not appealing for me. But if anybody wants any 1NZ acc. or parts for cheap let me know!

Last edited by rmshort; 07-20-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Tags
1 year of ownership, 3dr a/t liftback