Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
MudBug

Drives: 07 Yaris
Amp install under the passenger seat questions..

For those of you that have done this in your LB could you post pics of give a good description of how you configured it?

I have a Kenwood KAC-8402 I want to install under there but I didn't notice the little valley there, my rather large Amp would have to bridge that valley and I'm not if that is a good idea.

So I need ideas how to fit it in there, or I may have to send this back to Crutchfield and find something smaller ($$$$$$$$)

Also how did you secure it? Drill and screw? is there anything I need to worry about in this area?

Thanks
MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I live about 30 minutes away from Crutchfield. They sale returns/open box stuff at both of there retail locations for a bargain (most of the time). If you have a specific model in mind I can check that out.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #3
MudBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
I live about 30 minutes away from Crutchfield. They sale returns/open box stuff at both of there retail locations for a bargain (most of the time). If you have a specific model in mind I can check that out.

I'm not sure what you mean... Do you mean check for fit?

I've been reading through their list of 60x4's and while there are some a tiny bit smaller, and one Sony Slim amp that is quite a bit smaller, I still think they are all so big that they will have to span that little vally under the seat.

So I'm not sure if returning what I have will really make a difference, and the one good thing about the amp I have is that it spans it perfectly for a mount on each side of the valley.

I'm still curious what others have done, how they mounted it, concernes about bridging the valley, and the dangers of drilling for mounting screws in that location.

Thank you for the offer though.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
blacksan

What I meant is that if you decide on purchasing another I would try to find a return/open box unit and save you some dough. Who knows, I might also be able to also test fit something that is already open.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
MudBug

Ah, Gotcha.

I will keep that in mind while trying to figure this out.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
yv1650c

Drives: Japanese 8T1 Yaris Hatchback
wich amp fit under eats?
yv1650c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
MudBug

I know some of you have done this, how bout some tips?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #8
BlueFlash
wa do dem

Drives: 2007 blue Lb
you can fasten sraight to the body or make a mounting plate of sorts but i wouldnt do either on a yaris its just too much of a pain to access your amp
Old 05-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
MudBug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlash View Post
you can fasten sraight to the body or make a mounting plate of sorts but i wouldnt do either on a yaris its just too much of a pain to access your amp
Under the seat is too much of a pain?

Why would I need to access it after the initial set-up?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
BlueFlash
wa do dem

what if you get a loose wire bad fuse or just what to adjust your amp if you are going to do it i would fit it with the seat on then off at this point i would make some type of bracket or plate and then fasten it down and you should be good to go i would get a piece of wood for the plate and router the edges nice and secure the amp to that it will help from connections shorting and will be better that just self taping screw in your floor

Last edited by BlueFlash; 05-29-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo
BlueFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #11
blacksan

How about pulling the rear seat and doing the install there?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
BlueFlash
wa do dem

ive thought of that but then if any thing happens its pain to get to and i really dont thing there is much room for any thing under there plus amps do get hot and its always good to leave some room for air or error
Old 05-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
blacksan

Quote:
ive thought of that but then if any thing happens its pain to get to and i really dont thing there is much room for any thing under there plus amps do get hot and its always good to leave some room for air or error
I pulled my rear seat for the XM antenna lead and was surprised at what I had to work with. Are you 60/40, or one piece?

BTW, I agree that you need circulation.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #14
MudBug

Quote:
what if you get a loose wire bad fuse or just what to adjust your amp if you are going to do it i would fit it with the seat on then off at this point i would make some type of bracket or plate and then fasten it down and you should be good to go i would get a piece of wood for the plate and router the edges nice and secure the amp to that it will help from connections shorting and will be better that just self taping screw in your floor

OK, I understand better now.

I have a bunch of 1/2" MDF left over from making the front spacers and was thinking of making a mounting board for the amp and putting velcro on it plus some straps that hook to the seat bolts.

*EDIT*

The only problem is that raising it that 1/2" puts the connection for the seatbelt sensor and airbag in the way, so I will have to cut out those mounts and move them.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #15
BlueFlash
wa do dem

eeee. i wouldnt do that unless you want to void the warranty if you ever have trouble with anything the dealers always find a way around fixing any thing cant you just pull the harness away from the brackets will that help your clearance
Old 05-29-2007, 10:26 PM   #16
MudBug

Quote:
eeee. i wouldnt do that unless you want to void the warranty if you ever have trouble with anything the dealers always find a way around fixing any thing cant you just pull the harness away from the brackets will that help your clearance

Not gonna work that way.

With out the board one of the of the connections rests on the amp, even if I move the connetion I think the mount itself will rest on (and scratch) the amp once I add the board.

Besides, they would have to prove that moving the mounts somehow messed things up, they can't just claim it did.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #17
BlueFlash
wa do dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post

Besides, they would have to prove that moving the mounts somehow messed things up, they can't just claim it did.
thats what they would like comsumers to think but they will, just like in gambling the house always has the upper hand, well i really dont know what to tell you useing a mounting point other than the floor is the best way to go if you are going to secure and amp have you considered straps? not as fancy but works well plus if it is under the seat who will know except you
Old 06-05-2007, 11:27 PM   #18
Yucky Darren

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Yucky Darren
I mounted my pioneer 4x75 watt amp underneath my passenger seat with the help of a couple pieces of wood under the carpet. Screwed it right in. Plenty of ventilation. Plenty of space to tinker with things. And it didn't move any of the things everyone seems to be worried about. If i figure out how to put pics up here i will do so.
Yucky Darren is offline   Reply With Quote