Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #37
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmitch View Post
84Honda CRX, 86 Honda Civic Hatch, 95 Miata, 00 BMW Z3 and now 99 Miata
you sure do like little cars, doncha? the Yaris may feel like a motorhome after all!

So are you gonna pull the trigger and get the Yaris, or think about it some more?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #38
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmitch View Post
..I just can't justify it in terms of consumption/emissions.!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #39
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
x's 2
Old 07-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #40
drmitch

Drives: 2007 Yaris 2 DR Hatch
Kurokoma, yes, I intend to get the Yaris. I'm just waiting for an offer I can't refuse in a color I like. I'm now leaning towards black...
As for the "consumption/emissions" statement that created some questions/confusion...with Live Earth, record heat and dryness sparking over 1000 fires in the last few days, global warming a fact, America's huge contribution to same, etc., I cannot in good conscience go drive around with the Miata club for 2 hours in the mountains anymore...that's what I meant. If this decision, Yaris vs. Miata, was not motivated by conscience and taking personal responsibility, it wouldn't be happening. I LIKE my Miata! I know a lot of driver's don't see it that way but if every driver who said "My one car, my driving habits, don't make any difference" thought instead that it DID make a difference...cumulatively, it WOULD make a difference. Our culture, our government, our auto industry must change...and often what creates change is simply consumer demand...if we buy fuel efficient vehicles in growing numbers, regardless of the price of gas, the market will change. I want to contribute to that change in any way I can. My sermon for the day...
drmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #41
Indianspringsaz

Drives: 07 Bitchin Blue HB
Whenever I start thinking I want an auto, I also start thinking how many gears I could shift with the $800-1200 saveings.
Indianspringsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:00 AM   #42
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Great thread, you guys! Also served to confirm my suspicions that the Yaris clutch takes some getting used to.

The night I drove my Yaris MT back from the dealership, I almost thought I had made a huge mistake!! That clutch was driving me absolutely crazy, couldn't downshift to second to take a turn on the freeway (sigh) !!! I think I'm going to remember that fright for a WHILE!!

Now that I see other peole describe the same problems, I do feel better (I'm in an urban situation, so as you can imagine, mastering the clutch fast is very important!

BTW, I, too have been driving many MT cars before, usually Honda's (last one was a fast CRX), but also European cars with MT, so it's a little shocking and embarassing to be stalling on First like a newbie!

(BTW, my apologies for reopening an old thread. Not sure what the protocol is around here. Would you rather have repeat threads of continuing old threads?)
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #43
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Don't let Sail or Forrest hear you complaining about the clutch; you must LOVE the Yaris to post here; looooooooooooove *everything* about it...

Drink the Kool-Ade and take your Soma...

Obviously I prefer the Yaris to all comparable cars or I wouldn't have purchased it, but could it have been better designed? Sorry; yes...

Would I rather have my legs chopped off in a Smart Twofer crash? Nope.

otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #44
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
what did you think would happen, going from direct shift linkage to cable shift linkage?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM   #45
Havana

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door M/T
My Yaris shifts like a truck. That's what it really feels like. It's completely different from the smooth and tight shifting of my previous Civic but I don't mind. The leisurely gear box of the Yaris reminds me to take it easy and not try to drive it like it's an M5. The biggest adjustment I had to make to the Yaris's shifting is working the tiny pedals. The pedals remind me of this little battery powered car that I had as a child. Once I mastered the tip toe style shifting, I had no problems.
Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #46
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Don't let Sail or Forrest hear you complaining about the clutch; you must LOVE the Yaris to post here; looooooooooooove *everything* about it...
Nope. Actually, I am not totally happy with the clutch at all. Am I sooooo unhappy as to post that it's a POS? No! I test-drove the car, and decided that it was a small price to pay (along with other stuff0 for a car that I liked overall.
I just don't bitch about the things that I can put up with in order to get the rest of the things that I liked.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #47
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
After shifting a Miata for the last 7 years just about anything else is trucklike by comparison but it still wouldnt have me thinking of an auto box tranny.
You get used to the Yaris stick shift fast.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #48
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
yah quickshifter fr nst might have helped..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #49
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
what did you think would happen, going from direct shift linkage to cable shift linkage?
Are you talking to me? Well, I didn't know what to expect, honestly. I'm not a mechanic, I just drive the cars, and I was trained to shift gears by listening to the engine, so you see, the Yaris is a new experience for me because the engine is quiet at low speed and the clutch doesn't engage where I'm used to. I have been driving sticks for a lot of years, but this car is clearly different.

Understand, I'm not trashing the car, just looking for the solution to the clutch "problem" (looks like I'm not the only one having to go through that so I think it's useful to mention it).

People mentioned something like installing a Short Shift Kit? Is that a good idea? And by the way, if you do a modification like that, does that void the warranty on the car? Or is it better to just wait until you get used to it?

(Only stalled once this morning, so I guess I'm making progress, uh? )

Last edited by tomato; 02-25-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #50
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Are you talking to me?
no, to the OP

i did not waste my time reading the whole thread, i'm sure i already know what key members already said to the OP..

and i figured i'd add my $.02
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #51
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Drink the Kool-Ade and take your Soma...

Obviously I prefer the Yaris to all comparable cars or I wouldn't have purchased it, but could it have been better designed? Sorry; yes...

I don't know if that's it, otterhere. I think there is a real fine line between criticism and trolling and sometimes it's hard to know if someone thinks you've crossed that line because people's sensitivity levels are different.

I'm new here, so I don't know the personalities of the posters, but it looks to me like you enjoy complaining about small things, no offense

Part of me understands where you're coming from, because I just traded-in my beloved old CRX, a car that I truly, truly, truly enjoyed for a LOT of miles. Shopping for a replacement car was hard. I didn't find that many comparable small cars out there in the US market, seems to me they all look really bloated, except the ultra expensive mini-cooper. The SMART is cute but has even less acceleration than the Yaris and no trunk at all! The Yaris is really a good compromise, I think. But I'm getting off topic, here, my bad.

Personally, if I can manage to master the clutch and not be a danger on the road to others by stalling when I mean to downshift , I think I"ll consider myself pretty happy with my purchase overall.

Last edited by tomato; 02-25-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typos, always typos!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #52
Rick

Drives: '08 Yaris LB 5M
Tomato,

The abrupt grabbiness of the clutch will diminish with miles of use. That will help.

You will also notice over time that you are leading more with the throttle than most other manuals require. The drive-by-wire throttle is a bit slow to respond and there is also a tiny bit of slack in pedal movement before the potentiometer in the pedal assembly starts signaling a change.

It bugged me (sometimes a lot) at first but now at 14K miles it's become a non-issue.

You will adapt.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #53
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I'm a great believer in constructive criticism; it goes without saying that I liked enough about it to buy it, so no point waxing poetic on the car's good points... We all here know those. But maybe if enough of us take issue with certain design flaws, those will be addressed and rectrified in subsequent models. If everbody's happy, the flaws will remain. Speaking of test-driving, seems to me when they were designing this car in the first place, test drivers would've said, uh, this is incovenient and that doesn't make much sense, but perhaps they hired a lot of Pollyannas who only see the positives???

I'm not a troll; just a Japanese car loyalist who's a little disappointed in this new offering.

Er, I am loyal to Japanese cars, that is; I didn't mean to say that I AM Japanese...
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #54
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Tomato,

The abrupt grabbiness of the clutch will diminish with miles of use. That will help.

You will also notice over time that you are leading more with the throttle than most other manuals require. The drive-by-wire throttle is a bit slow to respond and there is also a tiny bit of slack in pedal movement before the potentiometer in the pedal assembly starts signaling a change.

It bugged me (sometimes a lot) at first but now at 14K miles it's become a non-issue.

You will adapt.

Thanks very much.