Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
TroyD

Drives: 1996 Toyota Corolla (170K!)
Toyota Extra Care Extended Warranty

LOL....Let's try this another way.

It's always tough getting known in a new fourm.

And Mod's (and voodoo22) please either PM or email me if you find this post a violation of your rules, as I'd be more than happy to discuss or modify it to make it acceptable!

I've been involved with various Toyota forums for a number of years...see (Priuchat.com, tundrasolutions.com, spyderchat.com, toyotanation.com, Rav4world.com, etc...) There's many of them.

As an example, here's a link to my thread on TS: TundraSolutions Warranty Thread (It's 12 pages and goes back to 2003).

My previous posting was deleted by one of the mod's because at a glance they just saw my posting as an unwanted solicitation, but as much as I'm trying to help myself, I'm also looking to help the members here from being taken advantage by other dealerships. I think it's a win-win kind of thing, where everyone comes out ahead.

Dealers prey on the uninformed, and most people aren't even aware that you can purchase a genuine Toyota ExtraCare plan after the fact. You don't have to get it right at the time of sale, and different dealers will offer the plans at different prices.

Looking at other posts on this very forum I see where people have paid more than double what I'm offering the exact same plans for.

For more info, either PM me here or email me directly at:

TDietrich@ToyotaofGreenfield.com

Thanks,

Troy

PS...For a limited time, I am going to offer Yaris World members a special price of $745.00 for the 7 yr / 100,000 mile Toyota Extra Care Platinum coverage with $0 deductible. Just make sure and mention you're a member here when you email me.

Last edited by TroyD; 06-01-2009 at 02:13 PM.
TroyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
brainless twit

Drives: 2009 base sedan
Personally, I'm glad you posted this here, Troy. I have read threads on many forums where people contacted you to get a great deal on the extended warranty, but I wasn't sure if you were still around because the posts were several years old. If half of the testimonials I've read are accurate, you have saved a lot of people a LOT of money! I'll definitely be contacting you before my 36,000 miles are up.
brainless twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Weyweyjenn
Yaris owner wanna be

Drives: Yaris
I just talked to my dealer about this the other day, and they told me if I get it after it will cost me at least $500 dollar more. I'm wondering if this is true....
Weyweyjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
The dealership where I bought my Yaris gives their customers a lifetime unlimited mileage warranty on the drive train. Because I bought my car at invoice, and because it was a dealer trade, they charged me $145 for the warranty.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Before I check your 12 pp thread, could I ask a quick question, then? Would anyone be able to purchase an extended warranty on a car that has already passed the 36,000 miles but is still under 60K powertrain warranty? The car was "Certified" by a Toyota dealership, and actually is still under that "Certified" warranty for another 2 weeks.

I've played with the idea of getting extended warranty for my 2007 Yaris, but the dealership's offer was very expensive and the exclusions were too numerous. Thanks.

Feel free to PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyweyjenn View Post
I just talked to my dealer about this the other day, and they told me if I get it after it will cost me at least $500 dollar more. I'm wondering if this is true....
High pressure sales strategy?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Its a Toyota, the warantee that comes with the car will suffice,if it breaks after that i'll fix it.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
TroyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyweyjenn View Post
The short answer is NO.

Dealers have a set cost and are fee to mark up the plans as much or as little as they choose. So, if that particular dealer decides they want to charge you $500.00 more after delivery they are fee to do so. However, it doesn't affect the cost of the plan, and you don't have to purchase it from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato
Before I check your 12 pp thread, could I ask a quick question, then? Would anyone be able to purchase an extended warranty on a car that has already passed the 36,000 miles but is still under 60K powertrain warranty? The car was "Certified" by a Toyota dealership, and actually is still under that "Certified" warranty for another 2 weeks.

I've played with the idea of getting extended warranty for my 2007 Yaris, but the dealership's offer was very expensive and the exclusions were too numerous. Thanks.
No, only the New Vehicle version of their plans can be sold after the fact. But it doesn't make any difference if the car was purchased new, used or certified. It qualifies as long as it's still within the original 3 yr / 36,000 mile warranty period. The Used and Certified plans are only available from the selling dealer, and only right at the time of sale of the car.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive!!

Troy
Old 04-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
No, only the New Vehicle version of their plans can be sold after the fact. But it doesn't make any difference if the car was purchased new, used or certified. It qualifies as long as it's still within the original 3 yr / 36,000 mile warranty period. The Used and Certified plans are only available from the selling dealer, and only right at the time of sale of the car.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive!!

Troy
Oh, I see. Yeah, that makes sense and that's what they told me as well. Well, I guess I'm on my own, then.

I guess that explains why people turn in their vehicle right around 30K miles, then, uh.

Thanks for the response.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its a Toyota, the warantee that comes with the car will suffice,if it breaks after that i'll fix it.

Yep.....I agree 100%. An extended warranty on a Toyota or Honda, et. al, is a sucker bet and not worth the money you'll pay for it (unless it is free).

I had this discussion with the sales manager when I bought my Yaris. I told him that it makes little to no sense for me to pay "X" dollars for a warranty that covers me from 36,000 miles to 100,000 miles when the car is just getting broken in at 100,000 miles. A more worthy plan would be up to 150,000 miles. He laughed and said that'll never happen.

Anywho......much like the two drink minimum at the strip club, an extended warranty only serves one purpose......to increase the profit or bottom line for the dealership. Most will get half of whatever they charge the customer back in their pocket after the sale is complete. The dealership I bought my car from actually owns the warranty company, so they get all the money. They quoted me $2270 for this warranty........that's 17% of what I paid for teh car ($13,200).

I did my own little cost-benefit analysis and determined that the liklihood of my little Yaris needing almost $2300 worth of work (upwards of $4000, if you include interest, etc. since it is rolled into the loan) is slim, so therefore the cost of the warranty far exceeds any real benefit I would ever receive.

I know everyone has their own opinions about this.....if you feel more comfortable having some sort of warranty, then get it. I, myself, will never spend the money for one......like jambo101, I will fix whatever breaks myself....if and when that happens.
mryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
Yep.....I agree 100%. An extended warranty on a Toyota or Honda, et. al, is a sucker bet and not worth the money you'll pay for it (unless it is free).

I had this discussion with the sales manager when I bought my Yaris. I told him that it makes little to no sense for me to pay "X" dollars for a warranty that covers me from 36,000 miles to 100,000 miles when the car is just getting broken in at 100,000 miles. A more worthy plan would be up to 150,000 miles. He laughed and said that'll never happen.

Anywho......much like the two drink minimum at the strip club, an extended warranty only serves one purpose......to increase the profit or bottom line for the dealership. Most will get half of whatever they charge the customer back in their pocket after the sale is complete. The dealership I bought my car from actually owns the warranty company, so they get all the money. They quoted me $2270 for this warranty........that's 17% of what I paid for teh car ($13,200).

I did my own little cost-benefit analysis and determined that the liklihood of my little Yaris needing almost $2300 worth of work (upwards of $4000, if you include interest, etc. since it is rolled into the loan) is slim, so therefore the cost of the warranty far exceeds any real benefit I would ever receive.

I know everyone has their own opinions about this.....if you feel more comfortable having some sort of warranty, then get it. I, myself, will never spend the money for one......like jambo101, I will fix whatever breaks myself....if and when that happens.

Well, that's a good point, too! I posted a thread a while back called "should I get the extended warranty'

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ended+warranty

and the majority of people said pretty much exactly the same thing. Funny you should mention 17%, that's exactly how much the extended warranty / service contract was going to cost me. I might have paid, but a close look at all the exclusions gave me some pause.

I guess what the OP is selling is a bit different, though, IDK.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
TroyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I guess what the OP is selling is a bit different, though, IDK.
And a LOT less money. The plan's that I'm offering are the genuine Toyota Extra Care plans directly through Toyota Financial Services.

Here is the link:
http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consu...ProtectionPlan

And what you were quoted by your original dealer is exactly the reason why I'm here making this offer. $2,300.00 is $1000 more than Toyota's MSRP for a Platinum 7/100K plan. And I'm willing to sell that plan for $810.00 (Total cost, no sales tax or any other fee's). That works out to only 6% of your original sale price.

Granted, I might be a little biased ...but if you do have a problem it doesn't take much of a repair to cost more than $800. Heck, an ABS actuator alone costs over $2000.00 to replace.

Troy

Last edited by TroyD; 04-30-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
Heck, an ABS actuator alone costs over $2000.00 to replace.

Troy
(sigh) Now, I miss my old car (sigh)
Old 04-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
$800 is a much more reasonable amount for this warranty. Kudos to you for offering it up at such a nice price. I have no earthly idea why the dealership wanted almost 3 times that much for the exact same thing, but there was no way I was buying it.

Good luck with your sales.....I hope I didn't come off too harshly. It's just that you can almost see the dollar signs in the dealerships eyes when you buy a car and they start adding all the "extras" up. :)
mryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
TroyD

I haven't heard from anyone here in awhile, so I thought I'd give this thread a bump...and try adding a limited time special price for Yaris World members. $745.00 (down from my normal online price of $810.00) for the 7 yr / 100,000 mile Toyota Extra Care Platinum coverage.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #16
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
it is still a money maker for them at $800. they are betting you would not have had to spend more than $800 in repairs between your factory warranty expiration and 7 yrs/100k miles. you, the customer, are afraid that you will.

who do you think is winning that bet most of the time? it is not you, the customer.

ive never bought extended warranties on a toyota or honda and ive never spent any significant money to make it to 100k miles. this is why you bought a toyota, right?

if you've got $800 to spend, pay it toward your car and save interest on the loan. if you dont owe on your car, an extended warranty makes even less sense anyway.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #17
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
it is still a money maker for them at $800. they are betting you would not have had to spend more than $800 in repairs between your factory warranty expiration and 7 yrs/100k miles. you, the customer, are afraid that you will.

who do you think is winning that bet most of the time? it is not you, the customer.

ive never bought extended warranties on a toyota or honda and ive never spent any significant money to make it to 100k miles. this is why you bought a toyota, right?

if you've got $800 to spend, pay it toward your car and save interest on the loan. if you dont owe on your car, an extended warranty makes even less sense anyway.
+1

Like any service offered a profit must be made. The odds are substantially in their favor or they wouldn't be able to keep offering this. The only way you can justify this service on average, is if you need the peace of mind of having an ecp.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #18
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I paid $650 for the Platinum warr. 7/75k Powertrain, no deductible.
Seemed like a good idea, you never know....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote