Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Lowfront

Drives: Yaris Sedan
alarm install

Going to be getting the alarm going, just wondering your thoughts on the yaris as a target to theft.......

I'm putting in over 3grand worth of audio in a few weeks. Now I have the yaris dropped with tinted windows...

Do you think I should have the light flashing letting people know I have an alarm, also letting them know I have somthing valuable inside.

Or do I just do it stealth and assume I'm not going to be a target?
Lowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
casterqc

Drives: Yaris
Install the LED flashing light...a simple one...not the ones that can be seen 20 miles away.

Every car with an anti-theft device has one, it's popular, so it doesn't mean you have something valuable in your car...it simply mean it is protected by something. It will discourage some theft to try to get in your car. Just don't put any sticker like "viper" or any alarm company name that shows wich protection you have.

If you are concerned about your sound system, please shut it down 2-3 street block from where you're planning to park your car...you don't need anyone around to know that you have a good sound system.
casterqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I guess it depends on what system you're getting...I have an aftermarket system in my car and I thought I should get an alarm system...my main concern was the alarm going off every 5 minutes (you know what I mean). Anyway obviously its up to you but I got my alarm system and it was fine at first but now its a pain! I took it in twice cause the thing would go off and there is no one around! Apparently they turned down the sensitivity but that's not making a difference. Or not long after I arm it it will go off! Its really a nuisence and I regret it but I plan on getting mine out. Okay I have an ECHO so its not like its really a target and I wasn't concerned with the car itself just the equipment inside thats why I got it. But I've had my system in for a year before I got the alarm and I had no problems. But as mentioned before just don't make it know to the world you have a amazing sound system, at least where you live or in areas you might think its likely to be broken into. Anyway that's my novel. But I wish you luck and keep us posted!!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I just use the basic alarm system with LED/Scanner

Usually 3-4 wire installation and full function alarm (with out engine disabler)
has shock sensors, current sensors 6 tone alarm etc.

Works for me and they are cheap.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
i saw this one that i got me interested, its $400 CAN installed and you even have a "steal camera" which lets you see inside your car from the dinky lil coloured screen on ur keychain
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #6
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
A digital tilt sensor is a very important option.

Make sure your alarm allows you to add that on.