Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
businezguy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
I'm a new Yaris owner!!!

I'm the proud owner of a 2008 Polar White automatic Toyota Yaris Sedan!!!

I have the convenience package, power package, keyless entry, preferred premium accessory package (obviously a rip off, but I have to admit the floor mats they put in the car are extremely nice and will come in handy where I live), VIP security, and some other things such as really cool door guards, etc.
In addition, next week (when the parts come in), they will install a blue tooth system in my car that is extremely nice, and provide me with a loner car so I can still commute to work for that day.

What is cool is with all of these features and accessories (including the bluetooth system they are installing), I got it well below retail because it is one of two 2008 models they had remaining on the lot. Since I paid cash for the vehicle I own it free and clear so I don't have to worry about any monthly payments.

Needless to say, I'm totally psyched and very happy with my purchase. When I bought the car it has 55 miles on the odometer and it currently has 66 miles so I haven't exactly had the opportunity to drive it as much as I'd like yet.

Since this is my first car with an auxiliary audio jack that I've ever owned (that is a huge deal for me), I went right to Walmart and bought a charger, aux cable, and a new iPod Classic. I can't wait to load the music on my iPod so I'm set for my commute to work on Monday. Needless to say Sunday will be an awesome Father's Day for me!!!

I can't forget to check the correct PSI for my tires and make sure the tires have the correct pressure to begin with. I will only over inflate by maybe 1 PSI I don't feel like wearing my tires out just to get an extra MPG or something stupid.
businezguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
CONGRATULATIONS!

I know you are going to love that car.

May I ask what kind of deal you got on the car, since it was a left over 2008? With the $1000 rebate on the 09s, they must have really made you a deal in order to get you to buy an 08.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
businezguy

There isn't a $1,000 on the '09 Yaris actually. With that said I did a few hundred dollars better then had there been a rebate on the newer models. To me that would have been worth it even if the 09's still had the warranty. In my view a new car is a new car, and there simply wasn't an compelling changes with the newer models that would cause me to pay significantly more for one.

It's especially hard to justify a few hundred dollars extra when that money is coming directly out of your bank account. That's why I like to pay cash instead of financing, it keeps your perspective during the purchase process.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
businezguy

By the way, I had a chance to drive my uncle's new (used) '06 Toyota Corolla for awhile and put probably 700 to 900 miles on it. The Yaris drives a lot like it. I found the Corolla to drive a lot like a luxury vehicle i.e. Lincoln Towncar, and the Yaris seems to have a more sporty version of that ride. Perhaps I've just driven crappy cars so far, but I find the Yaris to drive extremely smooth, handle bumps very well, and have very predictable handling.

The pick up in the car is excellent. When it's really needed, there's a good deal of acceleration. This car picks up much faster then my old 2002 Ford Focus ZTS with it's 2.0 liter engine and 140 HP.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
payola_17

Drives: yaris sedan 2009
I got a yaris on the memorial weekend...........and so far is a very cool car, I love it!!!! Mine is a 09 sedan with keyless entry system, power pack and all weather convienence pack......i got the $1000 rebate and i think got a really good deal for it :)
payola_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
thanks i have an 08 too that i love.

i wish i had keyless.. darn you! lol
Old 06-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #7
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
There isn't a $1,000 on the '09 Yaris actually. With that said I did a few hundred dollars better then had there been a rebate on the newer models. To me that would have been worth it even if the 09's still had the warranty. In my view a new car is a new car, and there simply wasn't an compelling changes with the newer models that would cause me to pay significantly more for one.

It's especially hard to justify a few hundred dollars extra when that money is coming directly out of your bank account. That's why I like to pay cash instead of financing, it keeps your perspective during the purchase process.
They have discontinued the rebate? I got my choice of 0% financing for 60 months or a $1000 rebate. I opted for the 0% financing.

Tom
Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
There isn't a $1,000 on the '09 Yaris actually.
Is the rebate different by states? I thought the rebate was still in effect. What kind of bottom line deal did you get?
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
businezguy

They discontinued the rebate for the Yaris on June 1st. It's likely they did so due to the rise of gas prices. They must have felt the demand for fuel efficient cars would increase so they removed the rebate, but that's just speculation on my part.

The sticker price on the car was $16,835. I paid $15,500. Had I purchased an '09 they wouldn't have given me anything off, or maybe $200 or so. Keep in mind this is with dealership installed (and about the best there is) bluetooth system installed in the car. I thought that was pretty good, I'm very happy with my purchase.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
bubble-boy

Drives: 2009 Yaris 5D
I know Specials are sometimes regional. We have the 0% 60mo or $1,000 cash back good until 7/6 on 2009 models--AND, if you are a college graduate, you can combine that with a first time buyer $1,000 rebate on TOP of that!!!

My 5 DR HB (I bought 6/17/09), with Power Package (locks, windows), Cruise, Remote, Floor mats, Daytime running lights, All-weather. Sticker (with $720 delivery) was $16,345.00. It was brought over from a competing dealership to meet the specs I wanted.

I paid $15,698 (didn't take rebates, chose 0%) before tax, title and document fees. I got a $2,700 trade for a failing 2004 Buick LeSabre with 159,000 miles. So, I was at $14,162 out the door with 0% and our payments are $236.03 a month. There should be a net savings over 5 years when you figure in fuel efficiency and repair on the older car.
bubble-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
They discontinued the rebate for the Yaris on June 1st. It's likely they did so due to the rise of gas prices. They must have felt the demand for fuel efficient cars would increase so they removed the rebate, but that's just speculation on my part.

The sticker price on the car was $16,835. I paid $15,500. Had I purchased an '09 they wouldn't have given me anything off, or maybe $200 or so. Keep in mind this is with dealership installed (and about the best there is) bluetooth system installed in the car. I thought that was pretty good, I'm very happy with my purchase.
I didn't know the rebate had ended. Sounds like you did fine on your deal. Congrats, again.

Tomster
Old 06-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Congrats! What a great deal! I can't believe they still had an '08 on the lot. The 2010's will be coming in a few months. My local dealer only has 2 new ('09) sedans and 3 LB's on the lot left and it's a large dealer.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Congrats!

And the locking floor mats are a must have. Good choice.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #14
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:

Sounds good ! Best of luck with your purchase...the car will grow on you !
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
businezguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Congrats!

And the locking floor mats are a must have. Good choice.
The floormats are literally the most thick, and (for a lack of a better word) lush. I have a long commute and I'm tempted to take my shoes off in this car when I come home from work. Knowing me, I'll probably give that a try.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #16
businezguy

So today for Father's day my wife, mom, and son went for a ride with me in the new car. We easily drove over 120 miles today with the AC on the whole time. It will be interesting to see how I do on a tank of gas this round. I have a feeling I'll at least exceed 40 MPG but we'll see.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
businezguy

So on my first tank of gas from the dealer I recieved 43 miles per gallon. I'm very pleased with these results, and they come under some interesting circumstances.

For starters, as indicated above, I went on a long trip with a lot of people in the car, something I do not and normally would not do. Obviously the extra weight effected my MPG. More importantly, yesterday a tractor trailer flipped and shut down the entire highway and I actually had to get off at an exit and drive around the accident and then get back on it. It literally took an hour to go 3 miles, and this is the first time this has happened during my commute.

The other interesting factor that I'll always have against me (but will be less of a factor when I have had 5 or 6 fill ups) is that I primarily get my gas in New Jersey, and that means I have to allow a gas attendant to fill my tank. They always "top off" my tank which artificially lowers my MPG on one tank, and then artificially inflates it on the next tank (because I have extra gas in my tank now). I would have to say I got at least a half of a gallon of extra gas this round.

Taking all of that into consideration, I think 47 to 50 MPG is not unrealistic for me. We'll see. I have been driving very carefully where I could, and I have been very comfortable with my ride so far!