Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
Lowering Springs Winter

Hey!

I'm thinking of putting some Tein S tech springs on my '07 yaris sedan.
Currently running all stock suspension.
Wondering if the 1.9" drop is too much during the wintertime (in Ontario Canada)?

Thanks in advance

Phaznet
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
DanMC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaznet View Post
Hey!

I'm thinking of putting some Tein S tech springs on my '07 yaris sedan.
Currently running all stock suspension.
Wondering if the 1.9" drop is too much during the wintertime (in Ontario Canada)?

Thanks in advance

Phaznet
If you get a good dump like we had in Edmonton (40 cm) last week you will be plowing the snow.I too would love to drop our 2012 (it would look hot with the Enkei 92 Gold) but it one of our daily/all season cars so clearance it's inportant than looks,but that's just me...if you do have another vehicle that you could just take it would be another story.Another thing,here in Edmonton if you call AMA (towing/boosting) there is like 4 Hrs wait .

P.S. Same car (2012 Yaris LE)...different rims and different circumstance !

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Under a mountain of snow !.jpg (70.9 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg 20121019_185652.jpg (319.6 KB, 241 views)
DanMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
Quote:
I'm in Calgary and my coils are set lower than that without any issues.

*knock on wood*
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Hey!
Well now, that kinda depends on where in Ontario you are. Ontario is a rather large province, with many different weather zones. If you are in the GTA, or any of the larger southern Ontario urban centers, then lowness is really no issue most of the time. If you are rural, in any of the typical snow belts, then sitting nearly 2 inches lower could cause you some grief at times.

MUSKOKA800 who lives in Burlington, lowered on TRD springs, beached himself on a snow ridge left by a plow a few years back. Had to get out the tow hook and get pulled off of it.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Never had any issues in Brampton/Toronto and my Echo's lowered ~1.5", with taller than stock winters.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
phaznet

Drives: '07 Yaris Sdn
hey thanks for the replies.

I live in Kingston Ontario, its located in southern Ontario.
phaznet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
kitchener

no issues

Old 11-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I've driven lowered cars during the winter for nearly 13 years. I lived in Minnesota/Wisconsin until 2006 and drove in the snow all the time and usually on all-season tires (until I saw the light and got a set of snows for our lowered Civic). In addition, we drive our lowered Yaris over the passes here in Oregon (14" studded Hankook Winter iPikes on steelies)

Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I've driven mine on Teins for the past 2 winters here in Detroit and havn't had a single issue. I think the car actual handles the snow better when it's lowered than when it was at stock height. The car doesn't have that body roll and softness like it does when it's stock and when I need to get road feedback for the snow and ice...I can tell exactly what I'm driving on.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
MUSKOKA800 who lives in Burlington, lowered on TRD springs, beached himself on a snow ridge left by a plow a few years back. Had to get out the tow hook and get pulled off of it.
er

Actually after making it the first 25 kilometers during a storm I got hung up on my own street which was still unplowed, which would have been fine with 6-8" of powder snow had the JERK up the street not blown his driveway out onto the road. 10 inches of semi-packed snow beached me 200 yards from home. the tires where 3 inches above the road. Nothing some shoveling and the neighbours 4wd Highlander with tow-rope couldn't resolve.
Fear not! Speed is your friend in the deep stuff.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Crazy Butcher

Drives: Yaris 2008
Do you guys apply anything to your coilovers/springs setup before the winter comes?Here we get snow almost 6 months per year and they put alot of salt on our roads, i should shoot my car before every winter with some antirust?
Crazy Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Im out driving right now and it's snowing. A lot of salt on the roads here too. Lowering springs will outlast your car before you have any breakdowns or failures due to rust, snow, etc.

In other words...just drive and enjoy :)
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Crazy Butcher

Drives: Yaris 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
In other words...just drive and enjoy :)
Thats exactly what i wanted to hear lol thanks
Crazy Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote