Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
I've got one on paper but its geared more toward my application so its not a one size fits all deal. I'll hopefully have it built before the end of the year. I have expected gains but I won't know anything until it actually gets made.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post

Jason (or anyone),

the final drive on the xB that you speak of is basically 4.3:1, what is the stock yaris one? I just wonder how gonzo it will be. I actually like that idea. I am gettin roughly 40-41 mpg right now and I could stand to lose a few. I would be alright still getting 35 or so.
Stock is 3.722, xB is 4.312.

At 65mph in 5th gear (with a 23" tire):
stock 2900rpm
xB 3350rpm

If you look at "rated" fuel economy numbers a 2007 Yaris is rated 29 city/35 hwy, the xB is listed at 27/32. I would expect part of the hwy loss on the xB due to it being a toaster on wheels, with that in mind I would guess that this change is about a 2mpg loss in a Yaris - but worth it for the acceleration.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #21
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Quote:
suckerface,

I think my car is drive by wire so is the new TB drive by wire? also, I was under the assumption that it didn't do much for you since the MAF sensor is calibrated to a certain diameter tube so you always have to have that size tube where the MAF sensor is. That will always be the bottle neck. Is the current TB smaller than where the MAF sits? I know, a lot of questions.
The new TB will be plug and play (as long as it's the 0D030) From my understanding, the MAF is indeed calibrated for a certain tube size, but once it gets to the TB you'll have a larger velocity of air being pushed into the engine, and that's what the ECU needs to re-learn and level out the idle for (ANYONE feel free to correct how wrong I am). It's mostly just better throttle response. As I said, no huge gains, but is a good addition to other aspiration mods, be it N/A or F/I.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Stock is 3.722, xB is 4.312.

At 65mph in 5th gear (with a 23" tire):
stock 2900rpm
xB 3350rpm

If you look at "rated" fuel economy numbers a 2007 Yaris is rated 29 city/35 hwy, the xB is listed at 27/32. I would expect part of the hwy loss on the xB due to it being a toaster on wheels, with that in mind I would guess that this change is about a 2mpg loss in a Yaris - but worth it for the acceleration.
I think that statement just pushed me over the edge to track down an xB transmission for next summer. Thanks Jason, I hate you sometimes
Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
I think that statement just pushed me over the edge to track down an xB transmission for next summer. Thanks Jason, I hate you sometimes
The trans is not a bolt-in, you can only use the gears, the case is different. For what you would spend on a used (unknown condition) trans you can buy the parts you actually need new - also keep in mind if you buy a used trans you may have labor $$$ in pulling it apart.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
Thanks Jason, I hate you sometimes
I agree with this fully....

so jason, how much do you pay a shop to do the work with the trans out? I wonder what the full price of this would be? (parts and labor together). I may have to start tracking down an old xB trans.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #25
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
I agree with this fully....

so jason, how much do you pay a shop to do the work with the trans out? I wonder what the full price of this would be? (parts and labor together). I may have to start tracking down an old xB trans.
Stated in post 12, $400 for the gear swap if I take them the trans and new gears.

If you plan on driving your car into a shop and dropping off the parts, I would expect you are paying for at least four extra hours of labor. $300-400.

But how can you guys go this far without also doing the LSD and Flywheel while you are in there?
Old 10-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #26
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Yeah yeah...final drive swap leads to a new clutch, lightweight flywheel, LSD....THIS is why I hate you. You gave me the push over the edge on the final drive, which just causes a domino effect.

I'm aware it's not a direct bolt in, and my cost won't be too high. I have a friend who can get dealer prices on the parts, and is more than willing to help me do the gear swap for nothing more than the cost of beer. Might try to get a spare Yaris transmission, change the gears in that, then just do the full transmission swap. Won't be down as long that way.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
RIGHT ^^

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
talking $2k alone in trans parts, not including labor. lol.. A mod I wish to do so much but I cannot with my application at this moment.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Would that put you in a new auto x class?

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Technically, yeah, it probably would, if it was specifically mentioned. A larger TB by itself is outside the specs of H stock. First year, however, most clubs would probably let majority of non-FI mods slide.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
The final drive and LSD move him into Street Prepared and messing with transmission gearing move him into Modified.

The TB also moves you into Street Prepared.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #32
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
The final drive and LSD move him into Street Prepared and messing with transmission gearing move him into Modified.

The TB also moves you into Street Prepared.
Actually the final drive change is not legal in SP, you can only do that if it is an update/backdate item, and since the Scion xB is not on the same line in the rules you cant use parts from it.

A Yaris with a final drive change would be an SMF car.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #33
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
^^more reason to turbo charge it.. RIGHT!