Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Liu997

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Dome Light Wire

I am going to add some LED bars for interior lighting and don't know which wire is the dome light so that the bars will light up when the doors are open.
And can the circuit handle 4 led bars? Thanks
Liu997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Liu997

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
no one has hook up lights to the dome wire? Its really that bad?
Liu997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
While I can't speak for this exact situation, every time I've added light bars I ran them directly to a separate fuse box I attached directly to the battery. You can pick one up for a few bucks and you can set any fuse and any number of lights to it. I know that won't help your lights on with the door open idea but you could still rig something up for that afterward.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The feed is via a 15A fuse, so you should be fine. That circuit drives the dome, map, and hatch lights.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Stiv

Drives: Yaris TS 1,8L
I think I have an idea.

I looked at the lightning diagram, and there is a connector called 4K left of the steering wheel. Wire 4K-2 is ECU controlled ground that controls the dome light dimming effect. It goes from 0V (dome light is on) to 12V (dome light is off).

The idea is to hook + connector of the LED or cold cathode neon light to let's say cigarette lighter + wire (or any other available constant 12V wire), and - or ground to the 4K-2 wire.

In theory that works. Please look at http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/Lighting.pdf pages 19, 83 and 84.
Stiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
I think I have an idea.

I looked at the lightning diagram, and there is a connector called 4K left of the steering wheel. Wire 4K-2 is ECU controlled ground that controls the dome light dimming effect. It goes from 0V (dome light is on) to 12V (dome light is off).

The idea is to hook + connector of the LED or cold cathode neon light to let's say cigarette lighter + wire (or any other available constant 12V wire), and - or ground to the 4K-2 wire.

In theory that works. Please look at http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/Lighting.pdf pages 19, 83 and 84.
That would be fine. Depending on the power supply of the cold cathodes, you may not see the dimming effect, but rather just on and off.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Stiv

Last time I used these http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkt.../index_en.html

It was done in Renault Laguna which has a dimmer.
They dimmed as expected and they're still working like a charm
Old 05-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Last time I used these http://www.sharkoon.com/html/produkt.../index_en.html

It was done in Renault Laguna which has a dimmer.
They dimmed as expected and they're still working like a charm

That works. Another option that I like better than CCFL lamps is EL wire. It is flexible, won't break if you bump it, and extremely power efficient.

http://www.lightnwire.com/raw.html
Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Stiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That works. Another option that I like better than CCFL lamps is EL wire. It is flexible, won't break if you bump it, and extremely power efficient.

http://www.lightnwire.com/raw.html
That's tight
Do you know which one should have the same brightness as those CCFL I mentioned earlier? Maybe HIGH BRIGHTNESS STANDARD WIRE?
Old 05-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I actually had some under dash lights hooked up to the dome circuit and I'd tell you which wire on the junction box it was if I hadn't disconnected it. I seem to recall it was a pink-ish wire. I know this doesn't help much but just know that it is possible and easy to wire into the circuit. The under dash lights even faded in and out like the dome light.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
That's tight
Do you know which one should have the same brightness as those CCFL I mentioned earlier? Maybe HIGH BRIGHTNESS STANDARD WIRE?
The high brightness standard should be very similar to if not brighter than the ccfl. The other handy thing about EL wire is that you can cut it to any length, whereas the ccfls come in set sizes.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Stiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I actually had some under dash lights hooked up to the dome circuit and I'd tell you which wire on the junction box it was if I hadn't disconnected it. I seem to recall it was a pink-ish wire. I know this doesn't help much but just know that it is possible and easy to wire into the circuit. The under dash lights even faded in and out like the dome light.
4K-2 actually is pinkish
It look's like I'm on the right track
Old 05-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
Stiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The high brightness standard should be very similar to if not brighter than the ccfl. The other handy thing about EL wire is that you can cut it to any length, whereas the ccfls come in set sizes.
Oh man, so nice, I just sent them an email. Hope they ship to Croatia :)
Old 05-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh man, so nice, I just sent them an email. Hope they ship to Croatia :)
If they don't, just do a web search for "EL wire". You should be able to find someone over in that area that carries it.