Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2023, 07:13 PM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
How much should I pay to have the water pump replaced?

Hi all. My 2009 Yaris is making some kind of engine noise. Almost like a soft, clattering clacking noise. Still loud enough to be embarrassing. The noise increases as the engine revs. I took it to the dealership to get their diagnostic, they said they believe it's the water pump. And they said that the pump is leaking. I did not notice a puddle, nor has the low coolant light come on.

Still they're probably right and the pump is making the sound.

How much should I pay a reasonable mechanic to replace the water pump? I'm assuming $900 is exponentially higher than the job is actually worth, in typical dealership fashion.

Would say... $300 be closer to the mark?
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:29 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
It's not a difficult job. Why not replace it yourself. Anyways $900 sounds like a lot. $300-400 is more reasonable.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:56 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
$300 did my wife’s Camry a few years agp
Old 01-29-2023, 02:26 AM   #4
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
It's not a difficult job. Why not replace it yourself. Anyways $900 sounds like a lot. $300-400 is more reasonable.
Yes I have decided to do the job myself. It looks like experienced people do the job in roughly 45 minutes. So 2-4 hours for me. Well worth the savings. Got the Aisin brand pump in today.

Anybody know how to pronounce that? Aisin.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:18 AM   #5
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
I'd say it like Asian with a lisp.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:32 PM   #6
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
Here you go: https://www.google.com/search?client...w+to+say+aisin
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:54 AM   #7
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
I'd say it like Asian with a lisp.
So they way Mike Tyson would say Asian?

Athin

"Ay thin"
Old 03-22-2023, 07:48 PM   #8
BennyLava

Finally got time to install the pump. It's one of the easier automotive repairs I've done. I'd recommend it to anyone who has turned a wrench or two in their day.

But it appears I have a squeal now. Surely that couldn't be the new pump...

What would cause an intermittent squeal to appear after changing the pump? Maybe the belt?
Old 03-22-2023, 07:52 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
yeah its one of the simplest waterpumps to be fair the only one coming to mind is early chevy 350 with its similar "cartridge" style pump
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:55 PM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Finally got time to install the pump. It's one of the easier automotive repairs I've done. I'd recommend it to anyone who has turned a wrench or two in their day.

But it appears I have a squeal now. Surely that couldn't be the new pump...

What would cause an intermittent squeal to appear after changing the pump? Maybe the belt?
LooseBelt I guess you tighten it
Old 03-23-2023, 10:05 AM   #11
sh0rtlife

yup loose belt, you need to "pull" the alternator away from the engine block to put the belt tight, typical method is to "pry with one hand and tighten the alternator with the other, but you need to be mindfull of your pry tool and location as theres a sensor in that area
Old 03-28-2023, 04:34 AM   #12
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
yup loose belt, you need to "pull" the alternator away from the engine block to put the belt tight, typical method is to "pry with one hand and tighten the alternator with the other, but you need to be mindfull of your pry tool and location as theres a sensor in that area
Yeah I used a prybar so I thought I got it pretty tight. Didn't want to overdo it, and cause a problem. As I'm not sure exactly how tight it's supposed to be.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:24 AM   #13
sh0rtlife

would greatly depend on bar length vs arm strength LOL....ive been setting belts like this since 91 so my in arm calibration for this is kinda set in stone

tho a couple rooky mistakes to be mindfull of

pry bar position ...be mindfull of whats back there and where on the alt your putting pressure...ive cracked some over the years

ALWAYS tighten the "big" bolt first...in the yaris case thats the bottom one....doing it small first will typicaly lose you some of your adjustment due to flex and result in noise

tightness on a "fix belt" system be is V belt or serp..tighten it like you would a tie down..your looking for very tight but not silly...most ppl unless they have alot of force cant get to silly if they tryed

this ones yairs specific..cold..ice bloody cold...first thing in the morning cold is the ideal time to adjust the belt ...as this will be when it wants to make the most noise as all the parts have "shrank" due to temps.....more than a few times i did it mid day or with the engine warm only to have morning squeal
Old 04-07-2023, 04:19 PM   #14
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
manually tighten belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Yeah I used a prybar so I thought I got it pretty tight. Didn't want to overdo it, and cause a problem. As I'm not sure exactly how tight it's supposed to be.
That's how belts were tightened back in the seventies when i was a teen. it's a matter of feel and experience, don't overtighten or it'll ruin the belt or shorten the lifespan of the alternator bearings. after you tighten push on the belt in the middle section between the water pump and the alternator and it should flex a little.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote