Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2023, 11:23 PM   #1
Bibsta

Drives: 08 YRS 1.5L Man
Swapping 2NZ-FE(ex Auto) into 1NZ-FE (man)

Hi All

Done alot of searching and not found many definitive answers on this subject.

Best/most relevant posts appear to be those below from 2009 and 2017 respectively.

I have a manual 06 Yarris 1NZ-FE and am looking to swap in a younger mileage 2NZ-FE from another 06 donor car equipped with an auto trans.

Does anyone know if there are any parts specific to the donor vehicle 2NZ-FE that will be needed to go on my 1NZ-FE manual?

Only the engine is being changed 2NZ-FE --> 1NZ-FE. The posts below appear to suggest the only change required is the long block/motor with no other physical/electrical changes.

Does anyone have the experience to confirm this?

See relevant posts below. Apologies if this subject has been covered elsewhere and I have missed it when searching.

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...=1nz-fe+2nz-fe

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...=1nz-fe+2nz-fe.

Thanks, Bibsta.
Bibsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 02:16 AM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
its a considerable drop in performance.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_NZ_engine#2NZ-FE
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:38 AM   #3
Bibsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
its a considerable drop in performance.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_NZ_engine#2NZ-FE
Duly noted.

Kind of predicting that w the current "performance" of my aged 1NZ-Fe it may not be very noticeable. It has ~400K kms, some oil usage, puffs blue smoke at start up and is.. fairly weak.

Fairly weak - i.e. 1. Will marginally make it up/ascend my steep driveway when warm. 2. An additional person of normal adult size make ascent of subsequent hillside road a further marginal outcome.

ps good to know ppl still use internet forums I had my concerns
Old 01-18-2023, 12:04 PM   #4
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
at that milages its not even close to old yet...many go 300-400,000 MILES before being weak and having issues...so you will likely notice a significant drop in power
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:47 AM   #5
Bibsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
at that milages its not even close to old yet...many go 300-400,000 MILES before being weak and having issues...so you will likely notice a significant drop in power
Fair point. This one uses oil / fouls plugs after 5K kms or so, then starts to hesitate under acceleration. Maybe it got neglected in a past life. I got it cheap at auction.

I'm familiar w/ the 2NZ-FE a family member has it in an 05 aus compliance Echo. Its definitely not as strong as the 1.5/1NZ-FE as I have also had the 1NZ-FE in an aus compliance automatic Echo Sedan.

To me it feels like my 400K ms old 1NZ-Fe is about as powerful as the healthy 2NZ-FE w/ 150K kms on it.

And that would be fine bc I drive for economy not performance. I drive it like a little old lady trying to fuel miser it. not bc I need to but bc its good for the planet and bonus - the wallet.

Looks like a very undesirable swap and no one has alot of knowledge on it. if people have done the swap going the other way (2NZ-FE --> 1NZ-Fe chasing better performance, is there any knowledge out there on parts compatibility?

I am planning using the 2NZ-FE long block sans all accessories with all of the parts and accessories from the 1NZ-FE currently in my car.

Thanks, Bibsta.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:06 PM   #6
MyCarWasFree

Drives: 2010 Yaris 4 door hatch
Where are you located? I’d buy all the parts for the manual you won’t need with the auto. Clutch/brake pedal boxes, shifter and surround, shifter cables, brake and clutch master and the lines. If you’re interested in selling them that is. I’d have some things I could give you as well. Auto shifter and surround brake master etc. basically swaping the manual parts for the auto parts.
MyCarWasFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:25 PM   #7
Bibsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCarWasFree View Post
Where are you located? I’d buy all the parts for the manual you won’t need with the auto. Clutch/brake pedal boxes, shifter and surround, shifter cables, brake and clutch master and the lines. If you’re interested in selling them that is. I’d have some things I could give you as well. Auto shifter and surround brake master etc. basically swaping the manual parts for the auto parts.
Heya, no no i was only swapping engines. I have completed the swap from 1NZ-FE to 2Nz-FE. The donor 2NZ-FE came form an Auto car. My car is manual.

Well the good news is that I am 2 weeks into driving the vehicle that now has a young 2NZ-FE inplace of the old oil burning/smokey on start up gutless 1NZ-FE.

no comparison. The fresh 2NZ-FE/1300 is night and day better. Stronger smoother an slightly better on fuel. So far so good. Could not be happier. All parts from my vehicle were used sans the 2NZ-FE air intake.

Its a direct bolt up no changes required as far as this case reveals. I presume the computer switches to 1300 map based on MAF data. Its running literally spot on.

I've got a gutsy clean running little yarris now. Very stoked.

Tags
1nz-fe, 2nz-fe, conversion, swap, transplant