Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Willing to Buy by private party
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
AndyW

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB 5-spd
Wanted: 2007-08 Yaris S instrument cluster (w/tach w/o ABS) for 2007 Yaris hatchback

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing an instrument cluster w/tachometer and w/o ABS lights for a 2007 Yaris Hatchback 5-spd. According to a previous post by CTScott I need a cluster from a 2007 or 2008 Yaris S to avoid having ABS and possibly other brake/traction control warning lights on at all times. I also need a hatchback-specific cluster, as the sedan cluster is apparently a different shape with a different connector. I have also noticed that many of the available used clusters have automatic transmission position indicators (e.g., P, R, N, D, etc), so I'm only interested in a cluster from a manual transmission car.

I have done lots of online junkyard searches and have found many available instrument clusters w/tachometers from 2010+ Yarises (Yarii?), but nothing from a pre-ABS 2007 or 2008. I would prefer not to mess with permanent warning lights on the dash as I will eventually sell this car (not too soon, as the Yaris charms have grown on me) and don't want to have to explain the warning lights to someone who will undoubtedly assume the car is a death trap. Yes, I know that you can cover dash lights with tape, but I would like to avoid the whole situation if possible.

Thanks,
AndyW
AndyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
AndyW

Hello again.

Since my initial post I have done a bit more research and it appears that the S trim level was a sedan-only option. Is this true?

If so, can anyone offer advice as to whether there is a cluster w/tach and w/o ABS/traction control lights to fit a 2007 Yaris hatchback 5-spd? I should mention that I'm in the US so I'm looking for a MPH speedometer.

Thanks,
AndyW
Old 12-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There wss a S model of liftback for 07-08. The clusters from them are not easy to find. You can use either year as long as you get an non-ABS one.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
AndyW

Thanks for the clarification CTScott.

I haven't had much luck trying to search for S-specific instrument clusters online, but I will give it another shot.

In a previous post I read that you can modify a Canadian market cluster to flip the MPH/KPH and display miles in the odometer. How much do you charge for that (plus setting the odometer to the proper reading for my car)?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 12-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Between my module and the reprogramming you'd be looking at about $110 for converting a Canadian one. I actually have a spare 08 Canadian one, already converted, on hand. I could do $220 shipped for that one, programmed with your mileage.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
AndyW

CTScott,

I found your Demetrification video on Youtube. Is this the conversion you're talking about?

I'm not sure if I want to spend that much at the moment (my car budget is a bit tight). I was already planning on getting an Ultragauge in the near future, so I think before buying a converted Canadian cluster I will see if the tach on the Ultragauge is "good enough."

Thanks for letting me know though. If I change my mind I will contact you and see if you still have it available.

Just out of curiousity, do you have any idea how many S trim hatchbacks were sold in the US in 2007-08? I've read various posts stating that the S trim was rare, but I haven't been able to find the 2007-08 sales statistics to quantify this. I had a salvage warehouse in Chicago quote me $230 for what they said was a 2007 S manual hatchback cluster, but when I asked questions (does it have a tach? does it have ABS lights, etc) they couldn't or wouldn't supply any answers and I'm not at all convinced I would receive the cluster I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
CTScott,

I found your Demetrification video on Youtube. Is this the conversion you're talking about?

I'm not sure if I want to spend that much at the moment (my car budget is a bit tight). I was already planning on getting an Ultragauge in the near future, so I think before buying a converted Canadian cluster I will see if the tach on the Ultragauge is "good enough."

Thanks for letting me know though. If I change my mind I will contact you and see if you still have it available.

Just out of curiousity, do you have any idea how many S trim hatchbacks were sold in the US in 2007-08? I've read various posts stating that the S trim was rare, but I haven't been able to find the 2007-08 sales statistics to quantify this. I had a salvage warehouse in Chicago quote me $230 for what they said was a 2007 S manual hatchback cluster, but when I asked questions (does it have a tach? does it have ABS lights, etc) they couldn't or wouldn't supply any answers and I'm not at all convinced I would receive the cluster I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Andy
I am not sure on the numbers, but I suspect it is quite low. See if they can give you the Toyota part number on the cluster label (83800-xxxxx).

This is the cluster that I have on hand. It was converted using the device in my video.

Tags
hatchback, instrument cluster, tachometer, wanted, yaris s