Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2021, 07:08 PM   #1
Chwbcca

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan Manual
ABS Code Keeps Returning After Sensor Replacement Code 31 Front Right

Hi guys!!!! I hope you can help me with this one:

I have a 2007 Yaris Sedan MT, I bought it with 265k miles and now it has about 275k. When I bought it it had the ABS light on in yellow. Checking codes it threw 32 but not 31. Replaced front left ABS sensor and code 32 went away but still had other codes for front right and rear left code 36. Cleared codes and 36 remained.

Replaced rear bearings with ABS proper ones.

Replaced front bearings and front right ABS sensor broke so had replace it because red brake light was on. Before replacement code was 31.

Replaced front right sensor with a left one from Ebay, code 31.
Replaced front right sensor with a right one from Ebay, code 31.

Checked for debris and rust inside the ABS sensor hole, made sure ABS sensor was sitting flush.

Still code 31 showing up.

Previous to me owning it vehicle was hit on front right side but there is no visible damage to cables.

ABS light goes on after resetting it after driving maybe 1/8 of a mile or less.

Unsure if people have had this bad luck with sensors not working or if there is something else going on.

Until ABS sensor was broken during bearing replacement ABS code 31 did not show up, others did but not 31.

Clueless as to how to proceed next.

Any ideas?

Will probably soon check if the CV axle installed has an ABS ring on it. It was probably replaced after the front right incident with a cheap one that no one cared to notice or check if it was for an ABS car..... Will hopefully update on that!

Last edited by Chwbcca; 09-13-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Chwbcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 08:53 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Did you verify with a magnetic field film that the new front right bearing was in fact magnetized? It sucks to have to replace it twice but it sounds like that's where the overlap of your troubleshooting is. In this day and age there's no guarantee that the product in the package is what's on the label, especially from online sources where it may have been returned or mixed up in a warehouse somewhere.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
Chwbcca

I took another look today and found it to be that the ABS reluctor ring is missing on the front right CV shaft. I'm having a hell of a time finding a replacement with the ABS ring on it, I think to install it you have to heat it up with a torch until it is red hot and then place it as such on the axle. It's not something I'd like to do so I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-14-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan

The Yaris should have magnetized bearings, not reluctor rings on the axles. Does the front left have a ring?
Old 09-14-2021, 07:02 PM   #5
Chwbcca

I just realized this and was going to post what my problem is....
The Toyota Yaris equipped with ABS uses specially magnetized wheel bearings as you are mentioning. This is something that I did not know about, being used to reluctor rings on other systems....

The bearing that was just replaced, at great expense, was not an ABS bearing and therefore will not send the correct signals. I am not ready to re-replace the bearing at this moment, I'm in Detroit but not with a lot of cash, ha.

So the key takeaway here is if you are going to replace your hubs, make sure you get special ABS hubs if you have an ABS car.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #6
CrankyOldMan

Ouch, that's a tough lesson to learn the hard way. I had to replace the front right bearing twice because I screwed up and damaged the first one. Even though my labor is "free" it was still pretty expensive to have the car down for a week while I tore it apart a second time--my other car is a pickup that gets ~8 mpg. Oof.

Tags
abs, code32, sensor