Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Oil Catch Can

I was wondering if an oil catch can was a justifiable mod to have on a N/A Yaris. I do race and auto-x my car. I really want to know if it is worthless or an ok preventitive mod. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:00 AM   #2
staypuft
aka SDMF

Drives: 07 LB Met Met
Send a message via AIM to staypuft
i dont see why you cant. my i love my perrin oil catch can

follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/samuryan_x
staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Anyone else?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
couldn't hurt, if you really are thinking about getting one try a cheaper solution first before purchasing a more expensive one - not all engines are the same (ie if I need one, it doesn't mean that you will absolutely need one as well)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #5
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
hello all , kinda a general question here but didn't want to start a new thread , my question is if you are running an oil catch can with a turbo does it make sense to have a crankcase vent ? or will it even do anything
Old 10-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
hello all , kinda a general question here but didn't want to start a new thread , my question is if you are running an oil catch can with a turbo does it make sense to have a crankcase vent ? or will it even do anything
I am running a catch can on my turbo setup and have a crankcase vent. It will reduce vacuum in the crankcase when the PCV system is operating. I think you have to allow air back into the crankcase or you'll get too much vacuum in there. Post #226 in my thread here talks about this a bit.

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...her#post824972

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
matthewai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I am running a catch can on my turbo setup and have a crankcase vent. It will reduce vacuum in the crankcase when the PCV system is operating. I think you have to allow air back into the crankcase or you'll get too much vacuum in there. Post #226 in my thread here talks about this a bit.

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...her#post824972
I see I see, so I've also seen those ones that screw on in place of the oil fill cap and they have a one way check valve ball, now I was understanding that you only want the air to be able to escape the crankcase not be sucked in through the vent. and I guess my original thought was since im running the oil catch can it adds more lines, seals, and connections where gasses could potentially escape, so im just trying to figure out if I should add the crankcase vent so any vapor would exit through that instead of some other part failing. even though im confident with the install and have seen no leaks

photo is not of my engine bay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6551.jpg (263.7 KB, 98 views)
Old 10-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
I see I see, so I've also seen those ones that screw on in place of the oil fill cap and they have a one way check valve ball, now I was understanding that you only want the air to be able to escape the crankcase not be sucked in through the vent. and I guess my original thought was since im running the oil catch can it adds more lines, seals, and connections where gasses could potentially escape, so im just trying to figure out if I should add the crankcase vent so any vapor would exit through that instead of some other part failing. even though im confident with the install and have seen no leaks

photo is not of my engine bay
Yeah, at one point I thought I had it all figured out, but it's been a while, so I forget the reasons. I can't remember all the logic I used to determine that I needed one. However, as mentioned in the link provided, when I plugged the vent hose, vacuum increased to the point where the engine was going to stall. I toyed with re-routing the exit of my oil catch can back into my pre-throttle body charge pipe. In my research, I found many varying opinions, some suggesting that I should completely cap off/eliminate the PCV system. I am now running well, with reasonable fuel trims, so I don't plan on messing with my current configuration.

Do you have any additional info and pics of your setup?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 10-10-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
matthewai

Quote:
Yeah, at one point I thought I had it all figured out, but it's been a while, so I forget the reasons. I can't remember all the logic I used to determine that I needed one. However, as mentioned in the link provided, when I plugged the vent hose, vacuum increased to the point where the engine was going to stall. I toyed with re-routing the exit of my oil catch can back into my pre-throttle body charge pipe. In my research, I found many varying opinions, some suggesting that I should completely cap off/eliminate the PCV system. I am now running well, with reasonable fuel trims, so I don't plan on messing with my current configuration.

Do you have any additional info and pics of your setup?
its stock right now (k&n drop in) I added the catch can about a month ago just because I think its a good idea to keep the engine cleaner. havent noticed any difference but I dont even know what id be looking for or "feeling" for by how it drives or uses gas . I usually put the mid octane fuel in but maybe I should be running the highest octane ? yes its not a Yaris ahhh sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6552.jpg (192.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6554.jpg (188.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 10-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
its stock right now (k&n drop in) I added the catch can about a month ago just because I think its a good idea to keep the engine cleaner. havent noticed any difference but I dont even know what id be looking for or "feeling" for by how it drives or uses gas . I usually put the mid octane fuel in but maybe I should be running the highest octane ? yes its not a Yaris ahhh sorry
Elantra N-Line?

I doubt you'd ever feel any difference. Have you emptied you catch can yet to see what's in it? I have the hardest time remembering to empty mine. I actually remembered last week. I have a ball valve drain on mine. I emptied what would be probably 1/8 of the full volume of the can. It looked like the typical chocolate milk color and stinky as usual. I probably had driven 1500 kms. Not a lot, but much better than having it sucked back into my manifold, weakening my effective octane rating.

I don't think you'll see any benefit to running higher octane (premium) gas. As far as I know, your engine is naturally aspirated with a compression ratio under 10:1.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #11
matthewai

Quote:
Elantra N-Line?

I doubt you'd ever feel any difference. Have you emptied you catch can yet to see what's in it? I have the hardest time remembering to empty mine. I actually remembered last week. I have a ball valve drain on mine. I emptied what would be probably 1/8 of the full volume of the can. It looked like the typical chocolate milk color and stinky as usual. I probably had driven 1500 kms. Not a lot, but much better than having it sucked back into my manifold, weakening my effective octane rating.

I don't think you'll see any benefit to running higher octane (premium) gas. As far as I know, your engine is naturally aspirated with a compression ratio under 10:1.
have not emptied it yet and yeah i dont think id ever notice any difference either i guess i just like the idea of taking measures to keep the engine cleaner if possible
Old 10-10-2020, 10:29 PM   #12
06YarisRS

Quote:
have not emptied it yet and yeah i dont think id ever notice any difference either i guess i just like the idea of taking measures to keep the engine cleaner if possible
Oh yeah, for sure. I think they are a great idea. Keeping that crap out of your intake can only be good for the engine. Why not post up a pic of what comes out of the can? It would be cool to compare.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:50 AM   #13
dkwilfert

Drives: 2008 Yaris 2-Door (White)
FYI, I put a catch can on my wife's 08 Yaris some years ago, and at the regular oil changes (5000 mile intervals) it collects 10-15 cc's of oil that would otherwise have gone into the intake and behind the valves to form deposits. No, the car does not burn any noticeable oil between oil changes so there is no excess blowby into the crankcase; I've see similar oil collection rates on other cars I have had with catch cans. On these direct injection engines you can't add fuel system cleaner to get at the deposits on the valves, so PREVENTION is the best cure to maintain a clean system.
dkwilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #14
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwilfert View Post
FYI, I put a catch can on my wife's 08 Yaris some years ago, and at the regular oil changes (5000 mile intervals) it collects 10-15 cc's of oil that would otherwise have gone into the intake and behind the valves to form deposits. No, the car does not burn any noticeable oil between oil changes so there is no excess blowby into the crankcase; I've see similar oil collection rates on other cars I have had with catch cans. On these direct injection engines you can't add fuel system cleaner to get at the deposits on the valves, so PREVENTION is the best cure to maintain a clean system.
Yes, I've read about the GDI engines. My 2016 Kia EX sedan has one. I run fully synthetic oil API SN Plus in both my Rio and turbo Yaris. I worry more about LSPI in my turbo than my Rio. Rethinking this, matthewai, wondered if he should use higher octane fuel. Maybe this is what he was getting at. Maybe it does make sense to run the highest octane fuel available, even though the manufacturer recommends 87.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #15
matthewai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwilfert View Post
yes pretty much which is why im not sure if I should do the crankcase vent breather as well as the catch can or just leave it with the catch can only and thats it
Old 10-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #16
matthewai

Quote:
Oh yeah, for sure. I think they are a great idea. Keeping that crap out of your intake can only be good for the engine. Why not post up a pic of what comes out of the can? It would be cool to compare.
deff more than I thought it was gonna be so thats good, only installed for about a month of normal driving , I've only drove it hard a few times cuz its a new car. I've heard putting stainless steel wool in the bottom of the can helps to collect oil but this can does have a 2 stage baffle so I dont know if the wool is necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6557.jpg (121.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:55 AM   #17
gab25diygarage
gab25diygarage

Drives: 2017 yaris NCP150
It helps no further explanation...

i did it to my yaris. so for me it will take a long time for my manifold to get dirty
gab25diygarage is offline   Reply With Quote