Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
annn
ヤリスワールド

Drives: 2008 HB
I love the auto in my 08...my 04 Tacoma has a mt and I hate rowing through the gears in town what a drag!! On the interstate mt excellent in a large city...not much use really for a mt .
annn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #20
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Agreed, I purposely sought an A/T in my Yaris and I am glad I did. I drove the M/T and wasn't overly impressed with the clutch. I find the A/T to be a great choice because you can leave it in 'D' and just drive, or you can downshift to '3' and even '2' in certain circumstances and control what gear the car is in. As I've stated before, you can shift an A/T, but you can't get a M/T to shift automatically!

I also have an A/T in my Jeep, people give me shit about it until I easily go places they have trouble with in their manual transmissions.

Cheers! M2
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Either/or... you made a wise choice in vehicle... I drive a manual Yaris and hypermile all the time. If one is using hypermiling techniques in an auto he/she can consistantly get into the 40's. Winter is harder for better mileage for both transmissions, though!

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #22
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
my experience in owning both a manual and auto yaris in similar driving was 3-4 mpg better in the manual.

there are a good number of samples here:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...ta&model=Yaris

manual comes out at 38.1 and auto at 35.0.

of course, it is impossible to account for all conditions there, but it has a decent amount of samples.

my main issue with the manual in the yaris is the dynamics are terrible...it is not a very fun or smooth experience (though still more fun than the auto)
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #23
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Agreed, I purposely sought an A/T in my Yaris and I am glad I did. I drove the M/T and wasn't overly impressed with the clutch. I find the A/T to be a great choice because you can leave it in 'D' and just drive, or you can downshift to '3' and even '2' in certain circumstances and control what gear the car is in. As I've stated before, you can shift an A/T, but you can't get a M/T to shift automatically!

I also have an A/T in my Jeep, people give me shit about it until I easily go places they have trouble with in their manual transmissions.

Cheers! M2
and you've beaten that idiotic slogan far into its grave.

Never mind it is not even close to the same thing.

But for fe there really isn't much of a difference. Your personal driving habits will make a ton more difference than the transmission.

There are literally tons of ideas and options on how to get great gas mileage in this forum.

Also remember the car is brand new and it might need some break in, and it might need more since it is the middle of the winter.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #24
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
and you've beaten that idiotic slogan far into its grave.
My my, touches a nerve, does it?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #25
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
Think of the money you will be saving in not paying for a new clutch! The AT will, realistically, last forever.

MT is fun....for a while, but AT is far more dependable and adds to the resell value.
Never had a clutch slip. Throw out bearing broke a few times in my Dodge with 260,000 miles. I believe standard is much cheaper to maintain. Oil changes on manual cost me 10 bucks plus no filter to buy. Auto has so many parts that can fail compared to a standard. I dont do a lot of city driving so the clutch thing dosen't bother me
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #26
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Granted the AT Yaris does have more pep than your usual AT (I've Driven my friends AT yaris).... but theres nothing like Having a MT and keeping it in 2nd gear till about 45-55 MPH in order to take off from a stop sign or downshifting to 4th when passing a slow car doing 75+!! to me having a MT not only connects you more with the car but also gives you the option between driving with FE in mind or driving fast as hell!

PS @freedan: Ive been in Garms Yaris at WOT and FTW it was fast! Just look at my sig!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #27
Trubin

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
In an automatic there is no tachometer on the dashboard though, i was really devastated when i got the car without it. I know that i will not be using it much since i don't need to see it to change gears but I'd sill like to know what RPM I am running, how far i shoudl gas it just for fuel economy.
Trubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #28
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubin View Post
In an automatic there is no tachometer on the dashboard though, i was really devastated when i got the car without it. I know that i will not be using it much since i don't need to see it to change gears but I'd sill like to know what RPM I am running, how far i shoudl gas it just for fuel economy.
Most manual transmission Yarii don't have tachs either...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #29
cougar65

Drives: 2010 yaris 5door
On the free way i got 36.4mpgs going aout 75mph average with a a/t im stoked on that my 2000 ford focus got only 32 doing the same thing.
cougar65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #30
Drama
sprocket

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3dr
I must admit that a auto yaris under normal driving sucks, But when I romp on it. It seems to be another car, I`ve really run the shit out of my car sometimes and run it as hard as my Rx-7 for the power there is. FE sucks when I rip it a new one. But its still better than my RX when am taking it easy. I also have a 10` corolla and the yaris is better on FE than it is too. I bought the yaris for the FE, But when I call on it, Its good for me, Knowing I have a 500whp 7 in the garage. Auto Yaris is not that bad, Thats my asshole`s worth.= oppinion.
Drama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #31
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Honestly I would of rather had the MT.....but it was 6 week wait for one in our area unless I wanted the hot red one that was on the lot....no offense to the red Yaris owners....but man it was really too bright for me....

I am happy with my automatic.....it works well....I spend a fair amount in traffic so no clutch to distract me is a plus.....

Although I would like the abilty to put in a lighter flywheel,better clutch...and most of all LSD.....

I say this because my car although a DD is also going to be a show and autocross car so a clutch and LSD sure would be a lot more durable than the abuse I am gonna put on the poor thing....

there are some upgrades available to the auto tranny but I have never worked on one so I am not sure I could do the installs myself....well I bet I could but a clutch/flywheel upgrade sure seem easier to me....lol...hardest part is getting the drivelines back in the car....
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #32
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
When I test drove the Yaris I tried both and I chose the Automatic. After a few hundred miles I thought there was something wrong with how it accelerated and down shifted. Then I read that the cars computer learns and eventually anticipates how you drive and compensates accordingly. If you want to accelerate quickly then don't floor it. Push the gas pedal about a third of the way in and you'll hit a magic sweet spot and the car will take off very promptly. Once you get a feel for it and the car gets a feel for you then you will love this fine automatic. Consumer Reports must not have understood how this system works. It kind of sucks until the car learns your driving characteristics. Now when it down shifts it does it seamlessly.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote