Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Water temperature

This has me stumped.

Outside temperature is 30 degrees..... I am using a scan gauge II.

Flat ground with cuise at 55 mph the water temperature is always at 184 degrees. Today since the weather was chilly...... I fllied the heat on at my feet , turned the temp dial to max hot and the fan on 1....... The water temperature goes up to 186 degrees.

I flipped the fan on and turned it off for a few minutes and the temp goes down to 184 but with the fan on it goes up to 186.

I'm stumped. I though turning on the heat would lower the water temperature not raise it?

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
well by using ur fan ur using more energy isnt it..and that will make the engine run hotter due to more work need to be done... thats just me but i could be wrong..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
well by using ur fan ur using more energy isnt it..and that will make the engine run hotter due to more work need to be done... thats just me but i could be wrong..
I have considered that and I will test it using the stereo next.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
The fan should draw considerably more load than the stereo, unless you have aftermarket, I would think. What happens when you leave the fan on but switch the temp to cold (not diverting any coolant to the heater core)? Other than the fact that you freeze?
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
The fan should draw considerably more load than the stereo, unless you have aftermarket, I would think. What happens when you leave the fan on but switch the temp to cold (not diverting any coolant to the heater core)? Other than the fact that you freeze?
Great idea.... will try it.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
A two degree fluctuation on a 186 deg. reading is about 1%, which is probably less than the accuracy capability of the sensor. Small voltage changes could also cause the fluctuation. Nothing to worry about.
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
Bob_VT

Okay I tried it. When the heat gets turned on the temp gauge goes up to 186 on flat ground at a steady 50 mph. Turn the heat off and it drops to 184.

I have been giving this some thought. With the heat on there is more "system" for the heat and it retains a higher temperature. With the heat off there is a faster cooling enabled (a shorter path for the antifreeze) cooling it quicker.

This is all of course valid IF the Scan Gauge and the sensors are that accurate...... +/- a few degrees will not cook an engine.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Is that heat with the AC button on?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
yeah... you don't know how the termastat is working... or not working... a giant factor in how your car controls its temp.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
Bob_VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Is that heat with the AC button on?
no

Old 11-01-2008, 03:40 AM   #11
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
This has me stumped.

Outside temperature is 30 degrees..... I am using a scan gauge II.

Flat ground with cuise at 55 mph the water temperature is always at 184 degrees. Today since the weather was chilly...... I fllied the heat on at my feet , turned the temp dial to max hot and the fan on 1....... The water temperature goes up to 186 degrees.

I flipped the fan on and turned it off for a few minutes and the temp goes down to 184 but with the fan on it goes up to 186.

I'm stumped. I though turning on the heat would lower the water temperature not raise it?
We could be seeing an artifact of some temperature control that gives higher priority to the internal heater and then lets the radiator cope with the excess. I dimly recall such a system in some GM cars in the past.

Basically the radiator does a more efficient job at cooling, so it drops the temps down to 184. When the heater is turned on it is not as efficient and since it gets higher priority than the radiator, the net effect is to run slightly hotter.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
stran

Drives: '07 Yaris 3D HB Auto
I came up with a good explanation.

The temperature of coolant is controlled by a mechanical thermostat independent of the rest of the car. The thermostat is not hooked up to the ECU or anything else so it would not know whether your heat is on or not. However, the temperature sensor is not necessarily next to the thermostat. In fact, base on BobVT observation, the setup must be like this:

temp sensor ---> heater core ---> thermostat ---> engine

Turning on the heater cools down the coolant. The thermostat will open more to compensate, hence increasing the temp at the sensor. This explains the phenomenon.
stran is offline   Reply With Quote