Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #1
TerryAdams

Drives: Yaris
Steering Not As Responsive

MK2 Yaris 08

Few months back I had the top mounts and coils done for the front.
Since then I feel I have to turn more than I used to. Lets say for a parallel park I used to turn the wheel one turn to the left. I now have to turn about one and a quarter.
Going round a 90 degree corner I used to turn about half a turn, now I have to turn a full turn.

Today I had the tracking done, and it seems to have changed again, to the point where I have to turn even more.
This is more noticeable at low speeds, at higher speeds ( 45 to 70 mph ) it is nice and responsive.

Any ideas what could cause this ?
I do occasionally get a clicking sound from the steering wheel ( This started well after the " lack of responsiveness" so probably not related ). I have heard is a common thing in Toyotas, mostly been alleviated by lubricating the middle part of the steering column. Said clicking sound is usually only when parking at low speeds, and seems to disappear if I occasionally adjust the wheel up and down a few times.
The column itself looks tight, and has no play.
TerryAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Some of the steering shaft u joints might be seized up. You need to remove it and feel for smooth joint flexing.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
is it possible you have electronic assist and not power steering..if so..in theory the power motor could be getting weak?>
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote