Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i've stopped

i don't know what things are like in your area, but here most grocery stores have a self-service checkout with between 4 and 8 registers for some DIY checkout action.

additionally stores, in an effort to make people go green, have been charging 5 cents each for plastic bags.

i always end up forgetting my canvas bags in the car or at home and i usually have a kid (or two) with me at the store.

well, ive stopped paying for bags. the self-checkout asks how many bags you're using when you go to pay, i will always say none. the grocery store has 1 person supervising 8 self checkout lanes and theyre usually busy with someone that isnt me....so i always hit NO BAGS. screw big business...i remember when bags were included..

anyone else adpoted this process?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 AM   #2
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post

anyone else adpoted this process?
do you mean, adopted theft as routine ? can't say I have.
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Vaguest thread title of all time.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby View Post
do you mean, adopted theft as routine ? can't say I have.
lol, yes.

but no reaction on the grocery stores gouging people ever since toronto adpoted a 5c/bag law?... its standard practice in a LOT of stores in canada now to charge for bags....what a rip
Old 12-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
^ don't ever attempt to shop at the RCSS in Milton. Ever since they built that one several years ago, they have never provided plastic bags period. That was even before the per bag surcharge was put in effect.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
Wait, $0.05/ bag, for a plastic shopping bag? I would never agree to pay that. That is a bull$#!t charge, if I ever heard of one. Do they charge for paper bags, too? And how do they expect people to get their groceries home?

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
WeeYari

In situations where we are caught without our canvas bags, we do 'buy' whatever plastic bags we require. Use them for kitchen trash. Cheaper than buying Glad Kitchen Catchers, or similar product.

Posted on OPs identical thread over on MI:

Bag legislation
[edit]Bans
Plastic bags are either restricted or completely banned in over a quarter of the world's countries.[20] Belgium, Italy, Ireland and Hong Kong have legislation discouraging the use and encouraging the recycling of plastic bags by imposing a fixed or minimum levy for the supply of plastic bags or obliging retailers to recycle.[21][22][23] Italy banned plastic bags entirely in January 2011. In other jurisdictions, including Bangladesh, South Africa and three states/territories of Australia, plastic bags are banned.[24][25]
In the United States, bans have been imposed at the local level, starting with San Francisco in 2007. In 2008, Westport, Connecticut, banned plastic bags in grocery stores.[20][26] In 2009, Edmonds, Washington, banned plastic bags at retail stores.[27] In 2010, Los Angeles County; Brownsville, Texas; and Bethel, Alaska, approved similar bans.[28][29] During the first few months of 2011, bans went into effect in North Carolina’s Outerbanks Region, banning all plastic bags at all retailers.[30] On October 15, 2011, Portland, Oregon, instituted a ban on plastic bags, targeted at large volume supermarkets and retail outlets.[31] Seattle, Washington followed suit on December 19, 2011, when its city council voted unanimously to ban single-use plastic bags from groceries and other retail stores.[32] Similar bans at the municipality level have been imposed in India, Mexico and the UK.[21]
[edit]Taxes
A plastic bag levy introduced in Ireland in 2002 resulted in a reduction of over 90% in the issuing of plastic shopping bags;[33] the total reduction in plastic bag use was less than that due to increased use of commercial trash bin-liners in place of the free shopping bags previously used by many consumers. Sales of bin-liners have increased by 400% according to one industry source.[34] The "ban on free plastic bags" in China introduced in 2008 resulted in a reduction by two thirds.[35] In Taiwan, plastic bags from supermarkets and other shops cost NT$2. In Wales, a 5-pence charge has been enforced on all plastic shopping bags since 1 October 2011.[36]
In the United States, the California legislature rejected a 25-cent bag tax in June 2009.[37] In August 2009, Seattle voters rejected a 20-cent bag tax previously approved by city leaders.[38] A five-cent tax levied on plastic bags in Washington, DC in January 2010 resulted in a decrease in consumption from 22.5 million to 3 million bags in the first month alone.[39] A study issued by the non-profit group American for Tax Reform found that the District of Columbia’s five-cent bag tax had a disproportionate impact on the city’s poor and cost the city over 100 jobs.[40] In Virginia, various bills including a 20-cent and 5-cent bag tax failed to pass the state senate.[41] A similar tax failed to move forward in nearby Prince George's County, Maryland, in April 2011, and opponents cited concerns about jobs and the economy.[42] Neighboring Montgomery County, Maryland approved a five-cent tax in May 2011, but it has yet to take effect.[43]
[edit]Recycling laws
Many cities and states in the United States - including California, New York, Chicago, Delaware and Baltimore - have addressed bag litter and landfill by enacting new recycling laws.

Source: Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_shopping_bag
Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
I would not pay for them. Nowhere here would dream of charging for them. We generally use canvas, but every now and then we will get plastic on purpose (great for cat litter!)
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_echo View Post
And how do they expect people to get their groceries home?
They want you to buy the reusable canvas bags.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I hadn't encountered this until I went to a Walmart in S.Korea back in '04. It was something on the order of $0.25, but from that moment on, I always brought a backpack to the store. As a general rule nowadays, I don't take a bag (paper or plastic) if I can fit it in my pockets/arms.

As far as the in-store bags (they're plastic, not canvas), they do make a marginal profit off each one sold, but the real savings to them in overhead is HUGE. Just think about what is involved in ordering, shipping, distributing, storing and dispensing. For a mom & pop single franchise business, it's hard to measure the difference, but for a national/international chain, the volume is significant.

The bigger issue for me is the fact that they're a petrolium product. Even if you recycle the ones you use, just using them produces demand for a non-renewable resource. Bags aren't made from recycled bags: bags are made from new petrolium stock; recycled bags make park benches and faux lumber products. Yes, recycling them does reduce the landfill volume, but it doesn't solve the unsustainable source issue.

And as far as the USA not adopting the same policy, just look at the styrofoam packaging of fast food in the 70s/80s. The fatal flaw of captialism is that a company will never internalize a cost that it doesn't have to. Hence regulation and gov't oversight. All it takes is one bill passed in congress (state or federal) to fix the problem. Well, assuming that the lobbyists don't have their way with it first, but that's another rant alltogether.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I find the fee atrociously stupid. It is like the airlines having the separate baggage fee. The are compartmentalizing something that they could just average into the cost of items by performing some analysis. This would be like some places that I have seen that states specifically if you use credit/debit rather than cash you will pay an additional $.35 or whatever so the business doesn't have to pay for providing the service. You don't think Wal-mart or the likes doesn't calculate that into their costs? In some ways I see why they itemize for the bags just because it is an "in your face" approach therefore it stems some abuse, but still. If they are going to itemize some then they need to just do it across the board. We actually have a grocer here locally that provides you with no form of baggage for your purchase. You have to bring something with however I wouldn't doubt it if that raises shoplifting since people have to carry around their storage capacity with them through the store. As an effect the grocers prices are significantly lower than their competition, so who really knows.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
WeeYari

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
The are compartmentalizing something that they could just average into the cost of items by performing some analysis.
It's government imposed, not retailer.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I wouldn't pay for them either. That's because I remember my re-usable ones.

How about taking a little responsibility and bothering to remember things instead?

The store is a business, if they want to charge, they get to charge. Deal with it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
It's government imposed, not retailer.
I'm not sure this is true, but if it is...

In fairness those plastic bags are an environmental hazard so you either deal with the government trying to get rid of them or pay taxes to have the government clean up the mess they cause.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Anyone shop at a discount grocer? Like Save-a-Lot or Price Rite (North East)?

The bags are 5 cents each but a heavy duty reusable plastic (you could load it with dumbbells and carry it without ripping). You are also responsible for your own bagging at a separate counter area. At these stores, there are very few employees and the food is set on pallets in much of the store.

The benefit? Rock bottom prices on the same brand name foods that you pay double (yes, double) for at the big name retailers with their fancy set ups.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Didn't think I'd get this kind of response

replacement is my problem...I bring in the bags from the previous trip and don't restock the car

For me it's the principle as well....its not that its law to charge 5c, stores are just padding their bottom line. I do actually try to use green bags, but they get left at home from the last time I used them

Didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch, yw

Last edited by thebarber; 12-23-2011 at 03:10 PM.
thebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
wildcard

Drives: 09 3dr HB 5sp
FWIW I work for a major retailer in the US, and our cost last year for plastic bags was somewhere to the tune of 390 million dollars.

Now this really has nothing to do with this seemingly goverment mandated canadia thing, but i was merely trying to illustrate that those "cheap" bags can add up to a significant cost overhead for a company.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #18
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
FWIW I work for a major retailer in the US, and our cost last year for plastic bags was somewhere to the tune of 390 million dollars.

Now this really has nothing to do with this seemingly goverment mandated canadia thing, but i was merely trying to illustrate that those "cheap" bags can add up to a significant cost overhead for a company.

I am not doubting that they add overhead. I am just suggesting that they are full of crap if they try and say they don't account for that in their prices. The beauty as well as problem with capitalism is that it allows for someone selling something to add an additional percentage per hop of the path for the product even if it is not warranted or called for to the point of abuse.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote