Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
plastic and rubber on the yaris..

hello everyone,
i searched the posts and found several recommendations about wheel and plastic materials.the problem here in Israel that we don't have mother's or meguiar's stuff here.what we have here is armorall and STP.

my question is-i heard that for tire cleaning,only soap and water can be used.i'm using STP tire care foam.can this damage my tires?has anyone used this foam?
another question i have-i'm using silicone spray to protect my rubber seals around my yaris' doors.the silicone doesn't last long and in the hot Israeli sun,it quickly dries and begins to attract dirt.as a result,the outer plastic trims (the black plastic hood,the plastic around windows and the mud flaps) are getting dirty quickly,accumulate sand and dust and look "lifeless" although the car's age is only 10 months.

can anyone recommend me on how to preserve the car's plastic and rubber?I used STP son of a gun on the outer plastic and rubber seals and moldings but it had only temporary impact.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I'm old and I love detailing (learned quite bit the hard way), so I'll try not to be long-winded.

Everybody's got their favorite potions for various applications. Whatever you wind up using, use it because you like how the results look. I like plastics/rubber to look like they're new from the factory; factory-new tires, dashboards, etc don't shine - they simply have a deep rich color. To me, a shiny tire just looks silly.

I'd stay away from Armor-All because of its silicone content. Based on my experience, silicone-based products do nothing to clean the rubber/plastic. Cleaning is what makes the material look fresh and new. Try simply using soap and water and a stiff nylon brush on your tires - this may be all you need to get your tires to look like new.

I'm not very familiar with STP products. If I had to guess, I'll bet the STP has lots of alcohol. Although alcohol will clean your tires pretty well, it will dry out the rubber over time. The trick to maintaining rubber/plastic is to strip the crud from the material without stripping too much of the oils that keep the material flexible.

Hope this helps...

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)

Last edited by Goose; 06-03-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

plastic..

kevin,thanks for the help..any more suggestions on how to keep rubber seals and dashboard in good condition?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I'm glad to help.

Maintaining the seals and dashboard can be approached in almost the same way as the tires. Simply cleaning with soap and water isn't that exciting, but it works (obviously, be a little more gentle on the dash/seals than with the tires).

For the dash, I'd recommend a terry or microfiber towel with mild soap and water. A little mild liquid dishwashing soap in the water should strip any oils/hand lotion that may have accumulated on the plastic. Use a second damp towel to rinse any soap off the dash. Be sure to wring out the towel well (not dripping wet) before working on the dash to avoid any issues with electrical items.

By simply "washing" the dash as I've described, the plastic should have the same appearance as the day you bought the car. You really shouldn't need to treat the dashboard with protectant like ArmorAll, etc - again, shiny is not what you want. A reflective dash can be annoying at best, dangerous at worst.

Rubber seals shouldn't need any "treatments" either. If you want, you can use a dedicated wet towel on the seals while you're washing your car's paint. You'll be surprised - gently wiping down the seals will remove lots of crud from the rubber (and leave black stains on your towel).

By simply keeping the dash/seals clean and free of greasy/shiny treatments, they'll look good and perform as designed. Let me know if I can be of any more help -- and have fun detailing your car!

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
Armour All works perfect for cleaning the seals and the dash . You just have to remember to wipe off .

Soap and water on the other hand will lead to cracking b/c this robs the moisture that is inherent in new products . Replace the moisture with armour all . Armour All also adds UV protection , soap and water does not .

Don't Armour All the tires , flat black tires look MUCH better than shiny black tires . Just use a clean rag to get the dust off of tires . If you are storing your tires for the winter or summer , then it is ok to use Armour All to keep away dry-rot . Just don't forget to wipe off armour all when you re-install your tires .
Old 06-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
I use back to black on the trim. It works great for me.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matanfr View Post
hello everyone,
i searched the posts and found several recommendations about wheel and plastic materials.the problem here in Israel that we don't have mother's or meguiar's stuff here.what we have here is armorall and STP.

my question is-i heard that for tire cleaning,only soap and water can be used.i'm using STP tire care foam.can this damage my tires?has anyone used this foam?
another question i have-i'm using silicone spray to protect my rubber seals around my yaris' doors.the silicone doesn't last long and in the hot Israeli sun,it quickly dries and begins to attract dirt.as a result,the outer plastic trims (the black plastic hood,the plastic around windows and the mud flaps) are getting dirty quickly,accumulate sand and dust and look "lifeless" although the car's age is only 10 months.

can anyone recommend me on how to preserve the car's plastic and rubber?I used STP son of a gun on the outer plastic and rubber seals and moldings but it had only temporary impact.

I use a wet synthetic chamois to clean the interior, even the seats; I just get a bucket and soak it in water and then squeeze a good portion of the water and clean everything my yaris interior looks like new with no oily residue at all.
Outside, I wash the car once a week and I always apply spray wax, such as eagle one, turtle wax or Meguiars, look for the one that can be applied when the car still wet I always apply a little on the weather strip and it’s been protecting it pretty well there are no stains like I’ve seen in most of the cars, especially when the car is parked outside all the time, this wax will keep your car protected until the next wash.

Im not sure what products are available in your country but probably you can find somthing that will give you the same results.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

for a start-we do have armor all products in israel.personally,i don't use spray wax because the weather in Israel is hot and the spray wax stuff just doesn't hold much.dupont's teflon car wax is used since my car is 3 weeks old and it's the only one that gets the job done.
about the usage of water and soap on the dash-i personally don't recommend using it-we have a 1997 ford fiesta that was cleaned like this and the dash literally cracked all the way down.
i prefer the STP-it's non aerosol and it really conditions the dash.
for the tires-i've heard opinions that support tire-cleaning stuff and heard vice versa-that this stuff can harm the tires.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Hmmmm...if a particular product has been around awhile,and they haven't been sued/forced out of business by litigation efforts,then it must have some of their claimed qualities...try it.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
I don’t use any soap just water to clean some type of spill "sniff" on the dash and or on the steering wheel. The best way to protect the interior is, having some really good tints (if legal) and always use a sun shield on the windshield. My personal experience with armor all or even better products is that you always end up with some type of residue or not uniform look, also a shiny dash looks older.

There is a product that I heard a lot of good things is the ICE Total Interior Care, this one is non greasy formula, contains UV Protection and is synthetic, you should be able to get it online.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1,6
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
This stuff is great and no fuss cleaner/protector, try and get it online if not available to you locally.

Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner:

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Inter.../dp/B000AMLWH8

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

meguiar's

hey toy_toronto,
i've heard good things about mguiars,i'll try to get it through e-bay,thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #13
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I have been detailing cars for 30 years and Armor-all is just as good as any and it doesn't smell of cocoanut or cherry like McGuires or Mothers does. There were some rumors started by Armor-all competitors many years ago saying that it dried out and cracked rubber and plastics. Not true at all. Just a marketing rumor.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
...ICE Total Interior Care, this one is non greasy formula, contains UV Protection and is synthetic....
I used their whole line of car care stuff this summer and it's some good stuff. No heavy smell, makes everything look nice. (And their spray on wax... easy to apply and looks great!)

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
I have been detailing cars for 30 years and Armor-all is just as good as any and it doesn't smell of cocoanut or cherry like McGuires or Mothers does. There were some rumors started by Armor-all competitors many years ago saying that it dried out and cracked rubber and plastics. Not true at all. Just a marketing rumor.
Meguiar's tire shine smells funny, the rest of the wax/polish/quick detail products have no smell.

And armor all is utter crap, it leaves stuff greasy. And don't tell me I need to wipe it more, with meguiars quick detailer I spray, wipe once, and it looks better than 5 minutes of working with armor all.

Do you honestly charge people to spray armor all on their car??
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
Do you honestly charge people to spray armor all on their car??
I don't think that he said anything about charging anything about charging anyone to detail their cars, just that he has been detailing cars for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote