Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Mine just started squeaking recently. I'll hit with with some lube this weekend.
Thanks for the pic!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
toyota
SRacer

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to toyota
awesome thanks, i'll give it a try!

Learn The Truth about Six Pack Fast!
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #3
advocate

Drives: car
I have complained about this so regularly to my mechanic that he has decided to add it to the list of things he will do on my regular maintenance.

Now no matter what he goes in and puts a bunch of hard core axle grease to keep it from squeaking every time I'm in the shop.

I hate it because it makes the car sound cheap and crappy and that's DEFINITELY not the look i'm going for with my car.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
watersoilair

Drives: 08-2DR-MT-LB-Red
Hello All,

I thought I'd give you a bit of an update. My linkages were squeaking last summer (09). I bought the car in the summer of 08. It was squeaking when shifting from: 1-2, 2-3 and 3-2. I sprayed the linkages with silicone spray, worked it in a bit and everything was great! HOWEVER, the problem reared it's ugly head again as things warmed up here two weeks ago. I sprayed the linkages again...but just a bit...and now the squeaking is back. I will not spray them again and will take the car into the dealership here shortly. (like within the next week or two) I am at 36,000km and my warranty is 60,000km. I will not pay a cent for the service.

I will give you all an update on the situation.
watersoilair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Finally sprayed my yesterday. Squeak gone. Shift action much smoother with less effort.

NOTE to Self: blast shift linkage at each oil change.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
meh.. sprayed mine and still does it. and i'm way past my warranty :(
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
I have a 2007 Yaris S sedan with AT, I have a squeak during shift too. But I cannot find anything under my hood that looks like this, do I have remove the battery or look from under the car?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
luis30

Drives: Yarisito 07 negro
man thx work very well for me !!
luis30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
+1 on the don't use wd-40 to solve this or any squeak. wd-40 is a great cleaner and water dislpacer, but has no lube. so go ahead and clean stuff with it, but follow up with a good lube after. especially true on door hinges etc.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
jvgillow

Drives: 2008 Liftback S
My 5spd 2008 liftback started squeaking a couple weeks ago going into 2nd and 4th, I got some lithium grease & no more squeaking now.
jvgillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
myt

Drives: Blazing Blue 07 YAris
Big thanks for this thread!! The lithium solved my issue!! Smooth shifting and no squeaking!

MYT
myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #12
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
^ ditto I had the now infamous squeak problem and after a long drawn out argument with the Toyota dealership I went home to fix it myself! Squeak killed + confidence increased!

Score: Dealership - 0
Me - 1
bkndacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Anyone have this problem on an automatic? I definitely have this squeak issue but don't have that linkage that MT's have.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
squeaky transmission in MMT yaris.

hello,
I have a Multi-mode yaris since august 2009,and the gears started to squeak (well-not exactly squeaking but it's sounds like 2 metals grinding to each other for a second while trying to shift) .
this occurs mostly in 1st to 3rd gears shifts,both upshifting and downshifting,and it appears randomly ever since i bought the car.this happens also when i start the car either in automatic or manual mode, but also happen when i'm engine-breaking while using manual down shifts.
Can the lithium grease also work in MMT? Is the place to spray it identical to the picture posted here?
has anyone bumped into this phenomena in MMT?
thanks in advance,
Matan.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #15
xr_austin
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Thanks Kou, that fixed it! It's easy to see how this part can squeak if you watch the movement while moving the manual trans shift lever. The lube probably gets washed out with exposure to elements, definitely want to do this every oil change.
xr_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #16
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Make sure they realign the cables , mine did the ssme thin. And toyota fixed the problem by first realigning the cables then lubing them up, if they just lube them up it will reappear.
Thank you for that advice. I will ask them to realize the cables too before the lube them on my next service appt.

Merci.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #17
ruimond

Drives: Yaris YR
Found this thread again, but it was back in late 2008 that i had this problem. Its come back recently and started squeeking from 1st to neutral. I decided to give it a go myself this time rather then getting the toyota mech to spray it. So bought a can of this stuff as recommended and gave it a spray while moving it into different positions. Was kinda hard to get into the gap even with the straw tube extension. So i just sprayed in the general direction but hopefully that went into it enough.

There's no noise now when i shift the gears, so hopefully it lasts awhile before needing to re-do it. Cheers.

Mods: 17x7 ANZ Tazer Wheels with 215/40/17 Marangoni Tyres | AFE Air Intake System | NST Short Shifter Kit | NST Shifter Cable Bushing Kit | NST 10% Underdrive Crank Pulley | Pedders Sports Springs | Custom 2inch Cat-Back Walker Muffler with 2.5inch Xforce Twin Stainless Steel Tip | RS Side Skirts | RS Euro Spoiler | YRX Front Lip Spoiler | TRD Style Front Grill | 12mm Rear Hub Spacers | Ultra Racing 23mm Rear Sway Bar
ruimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
wow.... I just did the silicon spray on both the clutch fork hinge and the gear shift hinge... I NEVER KNEW SHIFTING COULD GET EASIER! It is amazing how much nicer shifting is now... .and best of all, the spray on the clutch fork hinge got rid of the squeak I was getting when pushing the clutch down. Almost feels like a new car.