Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
New springs for Megan coilovers?

I noticed some of the paint is beginning to flake off of my Megan Racing coilover's springs, and am thinking about replacing them. Can I put another brand of springs on these shocks, or do I have to stick with Megan-brand springs?

Is anyone running other springs on their Megan shocks?

Last edited by Thirty-Nine; 02-07-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
just measure the coil inner diameter and length. You can get Eibach coil over springs, Swifts, many others.

If it was me though I'd scrap the megan racing coil-overs all together as the valving is no better than the paint on those springs.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
just measure the coil inner diameter and length. You can get Eibach coil over springs, Swifts, many others.

If it was me though I'd scrap the megan racing coil-overs all together as the valving is no better than the paint on those springs.
Thanks for the reply. However, the valving is subjective. It is stiff, yes. However, it's been fine for me.

The problem is, the Megan springs are extremely short in the rear. I doubt I'd find any stand-alone springs that would fit. Then again, I could be 100% wrong. I may just replace them with Tokico HPs and another set of springs.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Blown_xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Thanks for the reply. However, the valving is subjective. It is stiff, yes. However, it's been fine for me.

The problem is, the Megan springs are extremely short in the rear. I doubt I'd find any stand-alone springs that would fit. Then again, I could be 100% wrong. I may just replace them with Tokico HPs and another set of springs.
I didnt mean the dampening rate, i mean the parts used to regulate the valving are inconsistant from one shock to another and tend to leak internally or blow all together. Not trying to be negitive but I see it all the time working where I work. If you called up Megan racing and asked them for a dampening dyno chart they probably would laugh. Between Ksports and Megan racing coil-overs I have seen many issues. With coil-overs you get what you paid for, sure somebody who has a $12k car isnt gonna go out and buy $6000 Penskes or Motons... but still.
Before you spend $ to keep your Megan coil-overs alive consider holding off and saving that $.

But yes, you can replace the front springs easily, rears are not coil over springs but as you said you can easily just put any lowering spring in place of them (meant for that car) and omit the perch.

Ptuning.com
Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
I didnt mean the dampening rate, i mean the parts used to regulate the valving are inconsistant from one shock to another and tend to leak internally or blow all together. Not trying to be negitive but I see it all the time working where I work. If you called up Megan racing and asked them for a dampening dyno chart they probably would laugh. Between Ksports and Megan racing coil-overs I have seen many issues. With coil-overs you get what you paid for, sure somebody who has a $12k car isnt gonna go out and buy $6000 Penskes or Motons... but still.
Before you spend $ to keep your Megan coil-overs alive consider holding off and saving that $.

But yes, you can replace the front springs easily, rears are not coil over springs but as you said you can easily just put any lowering spring in place of them (meant for that car) and omit the perch.
That's very interesting. Out of curiosity, what do you do that you see this happen often?

As I mentioned, I think I may go for a traditional spring/shock combo, as I never adjust the height or the dampening on the coilovers.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Blown_xa

Quote:
That's very interesting. Out of curiosity, what do you do that you see this happen often?

As I mentioned, I think I may go for a traditional spring/shock combo, as I never adjust the height or the dampening on the coilovers.
Im a tech at Ptuning so I do installs every day . I don't mean to down play your coil-overs im just trying to give good advise.
A good shock/spring combo should do just fine, Tokicos are good shocks. A proper coil-over will generally out-perform a spring/shock combo on the track but then again it doesnt mean much if some dude with $6000 coil-overs can't drive lol.

Ptuning.com
Old 02-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Remember, Fit springs fit our cars.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Remember, Fit springs fit our cars.
Which I still find very strange. I think I'd still stick with a Yaris spring. The S-Techs have OK spring rates, and since 99% of my driving is on the street, I think that'd be just fine.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
this whole spring/shock vs coilover thing gets heated. Springs/shocks are so much cheaper, but i'd have to believe that Silk Roads, or other almost $2000 coilovers have to be better overall.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
this whole spring/shock vs coilover thing gets heated. Springs/shocks are so much cheaper, but i'd have to believe that Silk Roads, or other almost $2000 coilovers have to be better overall.
I would say high-end coilovers are definitely going to get you the best performance on the Yaris (Silk Road, KW, etc.). The KWs look beautiful. However, they're nearly $2,000!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Which I still find very strange. I think I'd still stick with a Yaris spring. The S-Techs have OK spring rates, and since 99% of my driving is on the street, I think that'd be just fine.
Love my S.Techs. hehehe.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
even in the rear, buy longer eibach springs if you have to and lower the perch...mines all the way up in the rear and im still -1.5" ride height
Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
I would say high-end coilovers are definitely going to get you the best performance on the Yaris (Silk Road, KW, etc.). The KWs look beautiful. However, they're nearly $2,000!
kw? and if they are really better it is worth saving the money for them.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
kw? and if they are really better it is worth saving the money for them.
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi....aspx?kc=ffsku
Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
Bubbles

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
I noticed some of the paint is beginning to flake off of my Megan Racing coilover's springs, and am thinking about replacing them. Can I put another brand of springs on these shocks, or do I have to stick with Megan-brand springs?

Is anyone running other springs on their Megan shocks?
Running 400lb springs on the rear with megan racing coilovers. The springs are QA-1 bought from Summit Racing
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 AM   #16
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Running 400lb springs on the rear with megan racing coilovers. The springs are QA-1 bought from Summit Racing
How's the ride?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
i have eibach race springs 2.5" id. 400lb 7" height in the rear and 375lb 8" height in the front on my "megan" coilovers. heres the thing, 98-present focus rear shocks are the same as yaris shocks so i have focus koni's in the back and koni inserts for the front of a 04-07 WRX fit inside the megan front shock bodies. also 2006-up ford focus swaybar endlinks are perfect replacements for the crappy megan ones. real valves, megan stickers

very fun setup, i love going to a track day and getting laughed at by the vette, sti, evo guys and then beating all of them.

have fun mixing and matching.
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #18
Bubbles

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
How's the ride?
Stiff, but tollerable on most of the roads in the Minneapolis area, some I wouldn't want to drive on very often.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote