Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

Drives: 2008 Yaris, White Hatchback
Front Speakers :O

For those of you who were wondering (including me before my new speakers were installed), these are what the stock front speakers look like in my 2008 Yaris 3DR.

It says 4Ω 20W

They literally weigh like... 1 pound each. I have to give props to Toyota for making pretty little speakers out of complete cardboard!!
xbr3akd0wnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 AM   #2
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
I'd say they still don't look like complete sh*t. On the bright side:
- paper cone - sort of almost the same as in expensive high-end systems
- optimized for a specific door (very important)
- high sensitivity (don't really need huge magnets)
- quality cast frame (german producer Rainbow uses similar (plastic) frames)

Cons: (factory installed sound systems, these front speakers in particularly)
- Door grills and speaker placement practically kills the mid range frequences (300-3kHz)
- Highs are (prductably) poor as well

I sort of suspect that adding inexpensive decent tweeters and modifing the door grille one can get a decent sounding speakers at the front (stock head unit and its build-in amplifiers will become the next bottleneck to good sound in your car)
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #3
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
The stock speakers tend to unload under high power. I'd say that has more to do with the "enclosure" they're in than anything else. The frame is unable to withstand the higher power movement of better speakers. It's made for inexpensive decent sound.

With these speakers there is a noticable lack in top end and mid bass performance. What can we expect from these really? If we think about it Toyota has made speakers for the bottom end offering in the entire line of vehicles...that in and of itself is decent. :P

The nice thing is that we can reuse the adaptor that houses the speakers.

It gives you some added depth that mounting straight to the door skin takes away.

The stock head unit will limit your output at higher levels. It'd better to use a nicer LOC like a ReQ that sums the inputs and gives you a level playing field to send signal to amplifiers with.

There's SO much more to say on the stock system!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #4
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

I agree with you TOLMACH. The speakers aren't ABSOLUTELY horrible, but for a yaris they're sufficient. But sqcomp is slowly turning me into an auto-audiophile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
With these speakers there is a noticable lack in top end and mid bass performance.
I noticed this the SECOND they turned my car on to test my new speakers. I was hearing things from songs that I completely missed before. A bit scary actually...
Old 05-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr3akd0wnx View Post
I agree with you TOLMACH. The speakers aren't ABSOLUTELY horrible, but for a yaris they're sufficient. But sqcomp is slowly turning me into an auto-audiophile.

I noticed this the SECOND they turned my car on to test my new speakers. I was hearing things from songs that I completely missed before. A bit scary actually...
Simply adding tweeters to the front speakers is already quite an improment in SQ..
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

^if that's all we're adding is tweeters, you'll notice the "air" on the top end improve. A great mid range will open the sound up like no one's business over the stock speakers.

Heck, better speakers will do wonders period.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

XBR,

You want an audio experience? Take a 45 minute trip over to Anaheim to visit JT Audio & Accessories. Ask to listen to a Hybrid Audio demo.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

Quote:
XBR,

You want an audio experience? Take a 45 minute trip over to Anaheim to visit JT Audio & Accessories. Ask to listen to a Hybrid Audio demo.
I'm literally going to do this this weekend on my drive back home. I looked at the hybrid audio website and this demo of a 6.5" subwoofer-ish thing in a car that everyone mistook as two 10" subs or a 12". I've gotta listen to that in person
Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #9
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I dunno if JT has that enclosure setup. He can do that though. You should take a listen to Jim Becker's "Big Red" truck if you have a chance.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I have a sound system on my car with my front speakers still stock I will hit em hard until they go out lol
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
xbr3akd0wnx
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
I have a sound system on my car with my front speakers still stock I will hit em hard until they go out lol
if you ever need OEM replacements, you know who to ask!!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Jump,

Love the color of the car you have there. It looks familiar!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Jump,

Love the color of the car you have there. It looks familiar!
Yeah let me see urs. The car... Oh and I also let me see ur sound set yp
Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Sound setup...as of this moment I'm in the middle of "re-construction"...I sold my three Audison LRx amplifiers and am waiting until June for the release of the Audison Voce amplifiers. I have an Audison Bit One sitting waiting for these amplifiers to come in. I've replaced my L8 mid bass with an L6SE mid bass. We're also redoing the entire trunk area to place the sub differently and show off the new amplifiers.

This is what I had oh a month ago:

There's SO much going on right now with it. I've got new kicks working now for the L6SE's. It's going to be pure audio SECKS when I'm done with it.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Holy fuck man all that. and I thought my sound system was the shit lmfao makes me want to hide mine. But here is a story, one day while driving i was bumping to Rick Ross CD and I had a rear visor that Garm sells on the car well after a while when I got home I realized that the visor was gone, turns out I lost it due to the vibrations of the rear windshield, I was so pissed I had to buy another one this time with the good outdoor double side tape and till this day that sucker is still on there good thank god
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #16
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thumbs up

Sqcomp...

L6SE! in diagram! do you want the Bit One and the new Voce amps there too?

D.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Derick,

To do the Bit One from the P-01, we'd have to change the RCA lines into that (until I get it digital) then a digital out to the AV Quattro, then to the other Quattro, then to the sub's Due...it's Cat 5 from the Bit One to the first amp then slaving each amp in line with Cat 5.

Do you even have the ability to get a shot of the AV Quattro? If you can find one you can use it for the Due as well since they're the same chassis size anyway. The only thing I might change aside from that is the connetion to the L6SE's fro mthe amplifier to say dual bridged mono (since it's going to be a four channel down into two). Can you say 400 x 2 off a digital signal? :)

Oh hey D, I've got a GREAT way to get the most out of your L6's. I'll start a post on it when I get the time next week. I've got that IASCA sound off happening which is taking all my free time. Needless to say, I have a GREAT way to IB the L6 in our cars. This is exactly what the speakers want to "see".

I'll stop hijacking XBR's post...

Last edited by sqcomp; 05-12-2011 at 01:49 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote