Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Nelson

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Sway bar opinions

From reading these forums, it seems that the anti sway bar is one of the most consistently appriciated mods to these cars. Most people are buying and installing TRD sway bars. But, what about other rear anti sway options like the GTSPEC Rear Sway Link Brace that is surely lighter than the TRD bar, about the same price.

What do all of you think? Why one or the other?

Thanks
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
There is only one rear sway bar option... the TRD.

The GT and all other options are not sway bars. Those are chasis re-inforcement bars. Some people here will tell you that they work a lot of people will tell you they don't.

What I can tell you is that non of them perform the same function as the TRD one unit.
Go for the TRD
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
There is only one rear sway bar option... the TRD.
don't forget Ultra Racing, which is cheaper, but slightly less stiff. (19mm vs. 22mm for the TRD)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
In Australia, I've got the Whiteline one...... no one else seems to have it... only me... :)
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Get the TRD rear sway bar. It is the best bang for the buck handling mod you can do hands down.

The GTspec bar is not a sway bar.

Thread closed.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
You should be aware that there are pros and cons doing handling mods, as it changes the handling characterics of the car.

In the case of this sway bar, the car can become more tail-happy and could possibly catch you out if you're not careful. Although FF cars tend to understeer on power, they can suffer from lift-off oversteer and pitch you into a corner pointed the wrong way.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
drbilal

Drives: BELTA SEDAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
don't forget Ultra Racing, which is cheaper, but slightly less stiff. (19mm vs. 22mm for the TRD)
Whats the price on the Ultra Racing?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
You should be aware that there are pros and cons doing handling mods, as it changes the handling characterics of the car.

In the case of this sway bar, the car can become more tail-happy and could possibly catch you out if you're not careful. Although FF cars tend to understeer on power, they can suffer from lift-off oversteer and pitch you into a corner pointed the wrong way.

The TRD bar is not even close to being that stiff. The car will still push at the limit with the TRD bar, lowering springs and stiffer dampers.

You would need coilovers with significantly heavier springs to get lift-off oversteer in this car.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Is there any FRONT swaybar for the Yaris? I'm trying to stay in the stock class for AutoX, but definitely need something for body roll. Front bars are legal, as are adjustable shocks. Would coil-overs be considered different from adjustable?
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
The TRD bar is not even close to being that stiff. The car will still push at the limit with the TRD bar, lowering springs and stiffer dampers.

You would need coilovers with significantly heavier springs to get lift-off oversteer in this car.
I think that's a matter of opinion as well as driving style. You also wouldn't see this on the road if you were driving sensibly.

Although you do have a point. I don't have a rear sway bar of any sort, but my lowered springs are stiffer than DF210s, and also an uneven drop, being lowered more in the front, and the car is quite pointy power off, and can kick its tail out when I brake heavily.

Just be aware that when you make handling mods, there are benefits but also drawbacks and drivers shouldn't expect the car to be as benign as it is usually set up straight out of the factory.
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 11-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #11
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Is there any FRONT swaybar for the Yaris? I'm trying to stay in the stock class for AutoX, but definitely need something for body roll. Front bars are legal, as are adjustable shocks. Would coil-overs be considered different from adjustable?
The Yaris has a front swaybar. Turn your front wheel fully to one side or the other, and look for a swaybar link that is attached to the suspension strut.

You can order a Cusco larger-diameter front anti roll bar.
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #12
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Thanks. I should have been specific that I was asking about aftermarket, but you took care of that for me! Definitely something for me to check out.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #13
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
It has been brought up that a larger FSB would induce more understeer without upgrading a rear-one. I'd have to concur on this, so get a trd one and go to STS class instead of H-stock. In the beginning you're not that competitive anyway, so just go have fun. As your driver skill improves, you should mod the car. Knowing how your car handles stock for a novice is very important for future mods. You'll know EXACTLY what is working for you and what mods are negligible or are actually detrimental to your performance.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #14
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Just thinking out loud, since running a stiffer/thicker front anti roll bar makes you understeer more, perhaps removing the front anti roll bar will make you understeer less. That's assuming you already have stiffer lowering springs to begin with.

It costs you next to nothing to try out, you just have to undo the swaybar links from the struts.
TRD Blue brake pads
DC Sports header
Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #15
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
Just thinking out loud, since running a stiffer/thicker front anti roll bar makes you understeer more, perhaps removing the front anti roll bar will make you understeer less. That's assuming you already have stiffer lowering springs to begin with.

It costs you next to nothing to try out, you just have to undo the swaybar links from the struts.
If you want lift oversteer, that is how to get it.

You don't want a bigger front bar, it will make the car plow into the corners, and unload the inside tire easier.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I have the TRD, and in the fall we did a great course here in the GTA which pushed the car and the TRD performed well!!!!!!!!!!!!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
andries
aka Jack Wolfskin

Drives: Yaris
Send a message via MSN to andries
I go up two days with the TRD Sway Bar and it seems as I drive another car (positive opinion)
He is his money worth double.
andries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #18
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
The TRD is one of the most cost-efficient suspension mod anyone car make on his Yaris next to installing lowering/sports springs!
Like Andries says, it's like driving another car!