Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
VitzBD

Drives: 2009 Toyota Vitz/Yaris 1.3L
2009 Toyota Vitz/Yaris 1.3L hatchback Engine Heating Up

Hi guys,

I own a 2009 Toyota Vitz/Yaris 1.3L hatchabck in Dhaka, Bangladesh which came here as a reconditioned car from Japan last year. There was absolutely no problem with the car until last week when I took the car for servicing. I used Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 for the first time instead my all time Mobil 1 of the same grade. The mechanic also suggested the car was little low on coolant and poured half a liter of Toyota Long Life red coolant in the radiator without mixing water. Originally the car came from Japan with pink coolant in it and was still in the system. The next day, I flushed all of it out, changed the water pump and put only red coolant mixed with water. Since then the car is acting a bit strange.

First, when I start the engine in the morning, it seems fine for the first 20-30 minutes and then suddenly the radiator fan will start when the car is moving slow or at a stop light. It will start and then turn off in a few seconds. But if I turn the AC on, the radiator fans will only take an interval if the car is moving but will not stop if the car is moving slow or at a stop light. None of these happened before.

Today, I have installed a water temperature gauge and when the engine has warmed up, it shows 95-100 degree Celsius and the cooling fan only starts if I turn the AC on. I took the car to Toyota here and they said the cooling fan in their scanner started at 86 C. Also, the car knocks a little when it starts from a cold start.

Now is it ok to have operating temperature from 95-100 degree Celsius? Should I suspect a blown head gasket? I will get the fan checked soon and the thermostat seems fine too as it gave enough hot air when I turned the heater on. The current temperature in Dhaka is around 30-32 degree Celsius at the moment.

I am really feeling frustrated and have shown it to a few mechanics who did not see any problem with the car. But I know the engine is heating up than usual. Please suggest what to do or if anyone has faced similar problem.

Thanks.
VitzBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine cooling system, vitz 2009