Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2021, 02:38 AM   #19
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Can the top in tank canister be cleaned out, say with water, or does it need to be replaced? Or is it fine to be reused and don't bother messing with it?
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:42 PM   #20
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Can the top in tank canister be cleaned out, say with water, or does it need to be replaced? Or is it fine to be reused and don't bother messing with it?
Not sure what you're referring to, man. Did you pull your pump?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:34 PM   #21
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Not sure what you're referring to, man. Did you pull your pump?
Nope, I didn't pull it out yet. I don't have the torx nut driver to flip my rear seat up yet. I tried a 12 point nut driver, but it was slipping, I didn't want to further do any damage. And aside from the ghost ODB fault codes that I'm having, she's running pretty good right now. Perhaps in spring, after I get back from visiting my family at the end of the month.
Anyway, what I was referring to is the top canister which covers the top of the fuel tank. The one that the hoses and electrical connection hooks up to. I'm not really sure, but I think it's another evap canister? Not sure if those are good forever (for a long time anyway) or needs to be replaced? Or is it part of my issue right now? I'd sometimes see P043E, F, and P fault codes. I apologize I'm rolling into my other issues right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008 Yaris fuel pump assembly.jpg (92.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 03-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #22
Neinris

Adam, thanks for providing me this link I was able to do more research on my own:
https://partcat.com/delphi?_ga=2.171...291.1615083772

I want to get everyone up to speed and reiterate the base line for the 09- and 09+ Yaris (as previously mention has different fuel pump motors and housings that resides in the basket), here's the most pertinent information according to Delphi's website:
09- Yaris
Avg amp draw: 5
Avg flow rating: 29gph (multiply 3.7854118 for LPH conversion)
Max PSI: 50

09+ Yaris
Avg amp draw: 10
Avg flow rating 26gph
Max PSI: 100

In my research, I want to make correction to the information that was previously provided about the 2008 Corolla fuel pump. There's a product info provided in the site that's confusing. If you select electric fuel pump, it shows an image of a motor with a longer can, which won't be a direct drop in for any of the Yaris. Here's the specs:
Avg amp draw: 5
Avg flow rating: 33gph
Max PSI: 106

But if you select "Fuel Pump and Strainer Set", which is the direct drop in swap, the following specs is given:
Avg amp draw: 6
Avg flow rating: 26gph
Max PSI: 65

So this is debatable as far as considering it as an upgrade if you compare it to the 09- Yaris' stats. I think the 09- Yaris wins this fight, not only is it drawing less amp, but also delivering more gph regardless of the max psi it produces.

In my search for an alternative drop in upgrade for the 09- Yaris, I found that the 08 RAV4 has the same motor design. It has the following specs:
Avg flow rating: 30gph
Max PSI: 120

For the 1gph gained, I don't think doubling the amp draw is justifiable, although the max psi will be more than doubled. Comparing it to the 09+ pump on the other hand it wins on all accounts. With all that said, I am still considering it as a possible upgrade for the 09- Yaris.

I've checked the other vehicles with the same motor can design, Avalon, Camry, Solara, frankly the RAV4 beats all of them and the 09- Yaris is actually better.

For the 09+ Yaris, a possible drop in option would also come for the RAV4, but the 2013 generation non-Japan built. It has the following specs:
Avg flow rating: 38gph
Max PSI: 123

It beats the 09+ stats in all accounts, the only thing is it's not guaranteed that it will fit, the pictures shows that they are very similar, I'm just now sure as far as the dimensions yet. If anyone is wondering what pictures I use to compare, I used the pictures provided by www.RockAuto.com. If you're curious as well, you can do your own research.

I'm still leaning towards the 2013 RAV4 fuel pump, to justify the more amp draw, but it will require purchasing the 09+ fuel pump housing.
I hope you all stay tuned!
Old 03-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #23
Neinris

Forgetful Jones...

I completely forgot about this thread...

https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32870

Picture that CTScott posted shows that the 09+ Yaris has a completely different top than the 09-, see comparison below:

09-
2008 Yaris fuel pump top.jpg

09+
2009 Yaris fuel pump top.jpg

Not sure if 09+ have a "returned" system, but that top hose coupling sure looks big. And the 09+ got rid of the top canister.

09-
2008 Yaris fuel pump assembly.jpg

09+
2009 Yaris fuel pump assembly.jpg

I'm making myself dizzy...
Old 03-11-2021, 09:24 PM   #24
06YarisRS

Yeah, I'm really interested in why Toyota changed the system in 2009. You're not the only one getting dizzy. Haha. As mentioned in my PM to you, I'm hoping to speak with Delphi tomorrow to see if they can provide dimensional specs (diameter and length) on their various pump bodies. Do you think it makes sense to do this first - aka see if they have a pump that will physically fit, then worry about the connections? Maybe I should inquire about 2009- pumps first? Open to thoughts and suggestions.

I do apologize as I have been a bit focused on my engine management at the moment. I was speaking with FTG Tuning and they think they may be able to write to my stock ECU fueling maps, thus allowing me to eliminate the need for my piggyback. My tuner is also pursuing this avenue.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 03-11-2021, 10:44 PM   #25
Neinris

Bingo!

I found this from RockAuto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=905&jsn=905

It's a pump motor for a 2008 RAV4 that has a similar if not the same design as the 09- Yaris. The company claims the following specs below and supposedly draw less current:

Inlet Type Strainer
Internal or External Internal
Maximum Free Flow (GPH) 55.0
Maximum Pump Pressure (PSI) 85.0
Minimum Free Flow (GPH) 45.0
Minimum Pump Pressure (PSI) 75.0
Outlet Size (in) 5/16
Outlet Type Recessed Quick Connect
Package Contents Pump & Kit
Pump Type Turbine

If it's in fact putting out 45GPH minimum, that's 170LPH and max of 208LPH.
Forget the 255LPH if it's not a drop in.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:51 PM   #26
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yeah, I'm really interested in why Toyota changed the system in 2009. You're not the only one getting dizzy. Haha. As mentioned in my PM to you, I'm hoping to speak with Delphi tomorrow to see if they can provide dimensional specs (diameter and length) on their various pump bodies. Do you think it makes sense to do this first - aka see if they have a pump that will physically fit, then worry about the connections? Maybe I should inquire about 2009- pumps first? Open to thoughts and suggestions.

I do apologize as I have been a bit focused on my engine management at the moment. I was speaking with FTG Tuning and they think they may be able to write to my stock ECU fueling maps, thus allowing me to eliminate the need for my piggyback. My tuner is also pursuing this avenue.
Adam, I need to apologize if I’m pestering you, I just got all excited with all the findings, and I want to make sure we’re putting out accurate information.
We all have our own issues that we need to deal with. I’m still dealing with my ghost fault codes, no CEL, bad evap canister pump, and pursuing an alternative rear disc conversion, but those are all on another thread.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m after more of a drop in upgrade. I’m gearing towards readily serviceability, not to say a 255lph pump is not easily serviceable. I’m just not sure how it will work without of the fuel regulator. Is it all going to just depend on the injectors to control the amount of fuel? Maybe the ECU will control the A/F mixture on its own? I’m still learning how it all works.
If someone has strapped in a 255lph pump please share.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:01 AM   #27
06YarisRS

Quote:
Adam, I need to apologize if I’m pestering you, I just got all excited with all the findings, and I want to make sure we’re putting out accurate information.
We all have our own issues that we need to deal with. I’m still dealing with my ghost fault codes, no CEL, bad evap canister pump, and pursuing an alternative rear disc conversion, but those are all on another thread.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m after more of a drop in upgrade. I’m gearing towards readily serviceability, not to say a 255lph pump is not easily serviceable. I’m just not sure how it will work without of the fuel regulator. Is it all going to just depend on the injectors to control the amount of fuel? Maybe the ECU will control the A/F mixture on its own? I’m still learning how it all works.
If someone has strapped in a 255lph pump please share.
Man, you're not pestering me! I'm excited about this too, and like you, I think, finding it a little confusing given the wide variety of information and pump specs out there. I would also prefer a drop-in solution. Given that my AFRs are not bad now, and I'm not planning to significantly increase power, I don't need anything as hefty as a 255 or 340 lph pump. I'd just like a little headroom and run knowing that I'm not close to maxing out my system. I'd like to pursue finding out if a 2009+ fuel pump assembly can go into my 2006. I keep thinking about the RAV4 pump as well. I think this is a very worthwhile pursuit. And, of course, each of us will be focusing on other aspects of our cars as we go. I'm also focused on the possibility of tuning my stock ECU for boost.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #28
Neinris

Fuel Pressure Regulator

So what's the point of increasing your fuel pump's delivery if your fuel pressure regulator (FPR) can't keep up with the supply?

In an old post, there was research made that stated that the OEM FPR is rated for 44.1 to 49.7 psi:
https://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15442

I wonder where he got that info from? I want to find out what's the range for the other FPR that I'm going to mention below.
According to RockAuto, the Delphi Yaris' FPR is rated for 44 psi, must be the base.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...41505&jsn=1686

I was curious as to what other FPR would work as a drop in upgrade. And I came across with I believe the 05-08 IS350, and it's FPR looks to fit in the Yaris, and it's base pressure is 51 psi.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1492&jsn=1492

Coincidentally, there are two 07 IS350 at LKQ pick and pull near me, so I'll be grabbing that FPR, and test fitting it in my Dee Dee.

I guess you could just remove the FPR, and install an inline FPR and even have a gauge. But I'm not comfortable with my installation ability, I don't want fuel spraying in my engine bay.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:18 PM   #29
Neinris

Fitment Confirmed...

Did some more research, found out that RockAuto.com lists the same fuel filter for the 3rd GEN RAV4 (06-12) 2.4L I4 engine and 09- Yaris.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...441511&jsn=837

This means that the fuel pump for the RAV4 will drop in into a 09- Yaris.

The pump motor that I'm specifically looking at dropping in is this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...441511&jsn=841

The manufacturer claims the following specs:

I'll be combining this pump with the 9th GEN and up Corolla fuel pressure regulator (FPR). The Delphi FPR show that theirs has a base psi of 46, compare to their FPR for the Yaris 44 psi:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...433059&jsn=995

If you're boosting your engine, and staying with the returnless fuel system, you might want to use the FPR from the 2005-13 IS350, it's has a base of 51 psi.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...05190&jsn=1630

Disclaimer, I don't know if the OEM (DENSO) has the same through put as Delphi, it might be lower, or it might be the same. The one I'm dropping in my car is the FPR from a 2015 Corolla (DENSO) that I grabbed from the junkyard. Background if you haven't been following this, I'm changing the fuel pump motor for my 08 Yaris, since I'll be driving her back to Maryland when I move back in June. A fellow 08 Yaris owner had to replace his a month or so ago, so I think I'm about due for a replacement. I don't want any issue on my trip back to MD, so I'm getting ahead of it, that's also why I'm trying to fix every little issue I have with her, if you're following my other thread. Also, plan on doing an engine swap in the future. So I thought I might as well upgrade my fuel delivery system.

Anyway, for you 09+ Yaris owners, don't fret, I'm researching a drop in pump motor for you guys if you so desire to do an upgrade. But looking at again from a RAV4, 4th GEN 2013-18, it looks like that pump motor fits in your fuel filter/pump motor housing. It has more GPH/LPH and has a higher psi overhead. Unfortunately there's on 09+ Yaris and 4th gen RAV4 in the junkyard near me, so I can't just grab their pump motor to do a physical comparison.

I believe you guys have a returned system, can someone please verify.

Of course what I'm presenting here are just drop in options, there's nothing stopping you from strapping a pump motor, say a 255LPH, and installing an inline FPR. Which would probably be cheaper compare to buying Delphi products, and if there's no junkyard near you to pull parts from. The inline FPR could also have dual function if you install the one with a gauge.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:17 PM   #30
06YarisRS

Quote:
Did some more research, found out that RockAuto.com lists the same fuel filter for the 3rd GEN RAV4 (06-12) 2.4L I4 engine and 09- Yaris.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...441511&jsn=837

This means that the fuel pump for the RAV4 will drop in into a 09- Yaris.

The pump motor that I'm specifically looking at dropping in is this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...441511&jsn=841

The manufacturer claims the following specs:

I'll be combining this pump with the 9th GEN and up Corolla fuel pressure regulator (FPR). The Delphi FPR show that theirs has a base psi of 46, compare to their FPR for the Yaris 44 psi:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...433059&jsn=995

If you're boosting your engine, and staying with the returnless fuel system, you might want to use the FPR from the 2005-13 IS350, it's has a base of 51 psi.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...05190&jsn=1630

Disclaimer, I don't know if the OEM (DENSO) has the same through put as Delphi, it might be lower, or it might be the same. The one I'm dropping in my car is the FPR from a 2015 Corolla (DENSO) that I grabbed from the junkyard. Background if you haven't been following this, I'm changing the fuel pump motor for my 08 Yaris, since I'll be driving her back to Maryland when I move back in June. A fellow 08 Yaris owner had to replace his a month or so ago, so I think I'm about due for a replacement. I don't want any issue on my trip back to MD, so I'm getting ahead of it, that's also why I'm trying to fix every little issue I have with her, if you're following my other thread. Also, plan on doing an engine swap in the future. So I thought I might as well upgrade my fuel delivery system.

Anyway, for you 09+ Yaris owners, don't fret, I'm researching a drop in pump motor for you guys if you so desire to do an upgrade. But looking at again from a RAV4, 4th GEN 2013-18, it looks like that pump motor fits in your fuel filter/pump motor housing. It has more GPH/LPH and has a higher psi overhead. Unfortunately there's on 09+ Yaris and 4th gen RAV4 in the junkyard near me, so I can't just grab their pump motor to do a physical comparison.

I believe you guys have a returned system, can someone please verify.

Of course what I'm presenting here are just drop in options, there's nothing stopping you from strapping a pump motor, say a 255LPH, and installing an inline FPR. Which would probably be cheaper compare to buying Delphi products, and if there's no junkyard near you to pull parts from. The inline FPR could also have dual function if you install the one with a gauge.
Kudos for the excellent work! This is such great news. I still plan to pull my pump soon to have a look at it. I'm pumped (bad pun, I know) to drop this upgraded pump and fuel regulator in and see how it changes my fueling. I expect that the 46 psi system pressure FPR will be ample, but there's always the IS350 FPR if I need a bit more fuel. Again, stellar work!