Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Phranck
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 yaris
Clutch

Is it normal to have to push the clutch pedal to the floor to shift?, feels like maybe it needs adjusting but i just purchased the used 07' from the dealer, any advice would be great....
Phranck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Nope....it's not normal. It's a hydraulic clutch, so I don't think there's any adjusting to be done. Generally speaking, a worn out clutch releases high on the pedal and bad hydraulics releases low. I would look at your slave and master cylinders for signs of leakage.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
You may need to bleed the clutch hydraulic system. Air in the hydraulics will cause it to require more pedal travel to achieve the same clutch action.

That said, the Yaris does have an unusually long pedal travel. I often find that I have to push the clutch in about a half inch further than I "want" to to get a smooth shift. The Yaris clutch is definitely a little awkward.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranck View Post
Is it normal to have to push the clutch pedal to the floor to shift?, feels like maybe it needs adjusting but i just purchased the used 07' from the dealer, any advice would be great....
yes, *completely* to the floor, even a fraction of an inch makes a difference. Also be sure that your floor mats (if you have them) are hooked properly so they don't slide under the pedal because that alone will prevent you from shifting properly and even starting the car in the morning.

I have a 2007 myself and did stall her quite a few times in the beginning. The clutch is definitely awkward, and it takes a while to get used to it, but you will. We all did

Welcome to the forum !
Old 04-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
You can adjust the stoke with the pushrod adjustment, and the peddle return stop bolt.

(I don't know if it's exactly the same on the Yaris)
My Echo has a metal clutch arm. The pushrod is conected to it with a pin. Take the pin out and loosen off the lock nut. Adjust the rod out a bit further, like 1-2 turns. Re-attach and set the return stop bolt so the peddle has the proper amount of free-play at the top.

You now with have a slightly longer stroke, but the clutch won't engage so close to the floor.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I only press it half way to get the gears to shift.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Upshifting doesn't require you push it to the floor. As a matter of fact the higher the gear you move up to the less distance you need to push. It's vice-versa for downshifting, and it's a good idea to push it to the floor when shifting all the way down to first.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
The little red pill
Taking care of Bubbles

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB "Bubbles"
I don't think I have a clutch? I have one that makes the car go faster which i think in the gasoline pedal then I have one to the left of that one that will make the car slow down but I don't have to push it all the way down or I think I will hit the steering wheel hard with my head I think.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the clutch is the absolutely worst part about the Yaris. You never quite know how far it wants you to go... After almost 3 years i still stall the thing occasionally.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
the clutch is the absolutely worst part about the Yaris. You never quite know how far it wants you to go... After almost 3 years i still stall the thing occasionally.
I hear ya. My clutch was replaced under warranty at 25,000 miles. I had the TRD unit put in, and I like it better. However, the occasional stall still happens.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I think the stalling issue has more to do with the complete lack of throttle response from the electronic throttle.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Baked Alaskan

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3 door
Yeah, clutch...

I've been driving manual transmission cars for almost forty years, owned a dozen. I've also worked for Hertz and in a dealership service department. I've probably driven over a hundred cars with a stick.

I am appalled with the Yaris clutch.

I was reminded of this last night when I drove my old Metro to pick up the Yaris from the dealer (for recall work the last owner never attended to). The car wasn't ready (they're two for two for missed delivery times between our two Toyotas) so I drove off in my Metro, and was reminded of what a clutch is supposed to be like.

So I decided I'm not selling my Metro. It needs work (at 18 years old), but still runs reliably and economically, and this summer we'll be building a garage on the property and I'll have a place to work on our cars. So I'll fix up the Metro, and in a few years when my kids start to drive I'll let THEM use the Yaris!
Baked Alaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #13
johnbob

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
New floor mat had me thinking I had a clutch problem, saw this post, yep, new mat extended additional four inches past original. Razor knife and thirty seconds corrected all perceived problems. Cut-off piece had mark from pedal bottoming out on it. Literally a fraction of an inch. Thank you Tomato.
johnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #14
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I've been happy with the redesigned Yaris clutch in the 2015+ models. It feels as good as any Honda/Acura manual that I've owned/driven from 1983 to 2015 - and that is quite a few vehicles. Any reason why a 2007-2014 Yaris couldn't opt for the 2015+ version clutch when the time came, assuming you wanted to stick with the an OEM clutch?

The 'modern' gas pedal, on the other hand took some getting used to, since it is so sensitive. I'm 100% fine in bare feet or my usual casual loafers/shoes, but completely stopped wearing my Skecher boots when I needed to drive because they make it a huge chore to drive my manual Yaris without issues of giving too much gas or not enough from a stop. To be fair, it was tougher driving my manual 2000 Accord with the boots on also, but nowhere near as bad since the gas pedal design/feel was so different.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #15
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
so, is that pushrod adjustable? i haven't looked, i figured it was not when i purchased my car. i grind into 1st all the time. i figured it was just crappy and i wasn't pushing it far enough...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:42 PM   #16
uber
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Hello,
I own Toyota Yaris 2007 and in the service manual it is noted that the clutch pedal free play can be adjusted by loosening the lock nut and turning the push rod until the correct free play and push rod play are
obtained.
However in my car configuration there is no such nut. Please see the figure attached.
Normally most of the master cylinders have it. Is it possible to make such adjustment in my case? Thanks!
Attached Images

uber is offline   Reply With Quote