Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2023, 10:23 AM   #1
Nina
Driver

Drives: 2008 Yaris LE
Rear Brake Line Replacement

Hi ya!

I have a 2008 4 door hatchback sitting in the garage for 3 years (no rust on body) so decided to revive it and installed new front and rear brake pads, rotors and working calipers all greased up. Went to test the brakes and the rusted rear steel brake lines burst on both sides near the rear axle!!!

I now bought an exact donor car that recently had the rear steel lines from front (master cylinder) to back (rubber brake hoses) replaced and would like to transfer these over to mine. Question is where should I disconnect the front part of the lines - at the master cylinder where they are easier to reach (and less rusty) or the connections found about a foot lower than the former but rustier and trickier? I know I need to torch connections like hell before using any tools so any advice will help to make the job less painful :)

Thanks.
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 07:18 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
torching the connections is NOT required...to be honest the best thing you can do is dissconnect EVERY joint

idealy get some kroil and spray all of the joints and re-spray them every day for a week, after that TIGHTEN everything just a tiny bit before you try and loosen and they should all break free

if your dead set on torching, just get them a little hot and kroil em hot as it makes the kroil wick into the threads
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote